Both
    27%

Total votes: 11
  • Camroc
    Verified User
    Verified User

Getting A FAA v JAR, pro & cons

by Camroc » Thu Apr 16, 2009 7:11 pm

Hi all, new to the forum, and i'm just looking for some advice and hope someone can help me out.

I am going to america this summer to get my PPL (all going to plan) and i am still researching the best place to do my Licence. some of the places offer the FAA and other offer JAR and some offer both.
    I am jus curious to know what restrictions i may have if i get the faa, will it limit me to N-REG'd planes. and what are the restrictions on the jar.

any advice would be greatly appriciated.
    Camroc
    hum
    Verified User
    Verified User

JAA Vs FAA

by hum » Fri Apr 17, 2009 11:02 am

I like the setup at Crystal River in Florida - small, professional, with highly experienced people. The owner flew from WW2 carriers with George Bush (senior). http://www.crystalaerogroup.com/introduction.html

A JAA PPL allows you to fly any JAA registered aircraft anywhere in the world.

An FAA PPL allows you to fly an 'N' registered aircraft anywhere in the world.

The confusion arises when you mix the 2. Many countries, Ireland included, allow PPL priviliges (VFR ONLY) on 'their' aircraft within 'their' airspace with ICAO compliant licences. So, for instance, my understanding is that you can fly (privately, not for remuneration) any Irish-registered aircraft type permitted on your FAA licence under VFR in Ireland using your FAA licence.

Some (eg the USA and South Africa) require you to 'validate' your 'foreign' ICAO PPL to a national licence. For example in the USA the so-called 'FAA piggyback' PPL is issued on the strength of a 'foreign' ICAO-compliant licence. The FAA licence is instantly invalidated if the 'parent' licence expires for whatever reason.

Both JAA and FAA licences are recognised around the world, each has pros and cons. An often quoted 'advantage' of an FAA licence is that it is easier for an FAA PPL holder to obtain and keep an instrument rating than it is in the JAA system. This is probably one of the reasons why so many private FAA-registered aircraft are used in Europe.