Hour Building

This is a forum where student pilots can post their questions for more experienced pilots and instructors to answer

Moderator: mark

AidanR2007
Verified User
Verified User

Hour Building

Post by AidanR2007 » Thu Apr 16, 2009 11:59 am

Hi Guys,

Right now I am studying for my ATPL's I just want to get some advice on were would be the best place to hour build. I keep looking at the USA but some of it seems to good to be true, will be going around September so any stories good or bad about the places you when would be much appreciated.

Cheers
Aidan

Lambada Crazy
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Lambada Crazy » Thu Apr 16, 2009 12:13 pm

Hi Aidan,

If you wanted to go to the States i would recomend Ormond Beach Aviation for your hour Building. However, its nearly as cheap to do it here in ireland. If you go to Waterford Aero Club, you will see that they have 2 brand new aircraft. and their rental rates are 125 per tach hour, which if you average that you do 0.6-0.7 tach per clock hour, that works out at 7500 for 100 hours, and you get to bring your family and friends flying!

Their website is www.waterfordaeroclub.com

LC
When a flight is proceeding incredibly well, something was forgotten.

mr crow
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by mr crow » Thu Apr 16, 2009 12:39 pm

Last edited by mr crow on Sat Jan 09, 2010 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Glenn
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Glenn » Thu Apr 16, 2009 5:01 pm

Waterford Aero club you also have to pay an additional 175 annual membership. Plus if you dont live in Waterford you also need to incur the expense of travel and time.

We all know the weather plays a huge roll, so to do these 100 hours you might be hanging around for a long time in Irealnd. Where as in America at least you can almost be assured of getting a decent block of hours done in a short amount of time.

If time isnt a problem sticking around here may be an option.

Im looking at this crowd http://www.sunquestaviation.com/ . Nice rates and they have been an absolute pleasure to deal with so far.

GoGoGadgetGoAround
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by GoGoGadgetGoAround » Fri Apr 17, 2009 12:21 am

Hi Aidan,

Check out a place called Air America in Daytona; www.airamericafc.com

Works out at €52ph as a block rate

Andy
Engine Failure: A condition which occurs when all fuel tanks mysteriously become filled with air

HomerJay
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by HomerJay » Fri Apr 17, 2009 2:10 pm

Do not try hour build in Ireland

Have a look at Sunstate aviation in Kissimmee Florida. It's a top school, cessna centre with brand new 172's. It's more expensive than the JAA schools but it's worth it.

mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by mark » Fri Apr 17, 2009 4:12 pm

HomerJay wrote:Do not try hour build in Ireland

What's wrong with hour building in Ireland?

HomerJay
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by HomerJay » Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:39 am

mark wrote:
HomerJay wrote:Do not try hour build in Ireland

What's wrong with hour building in Ireland?

The main reason is it will just take too long to do 100 hours.

Last December I did 45 hours in two weeks in Florida, Ive been at a school in Ireland for 4 months this year (Mon-Fri) and I have done 41, a lot of it IFR! The weather here is just not generous enough for hour building. Ive seen students at my school trying to do their cross countries or triangles for the ppl and waiting for days sometimes weeks to get a nice clear day. It took me 3 weeks to do my MEP!!!!!

Ive been to two of the top schools here and slots are hard to come by, at my school at the moment you will probably get a 90 minute slot each day. In Florida you can get a plane to yourself for most of the day (if you find the right school) and there is dozens of airfields you can fly to. If you have a look at a Florida chart there's a small airfield every couple of miles, none of them will charge you landing fees or fees for using the lights at night. Sounds nearly as good as Kerry no? :roll:

Then you look at pricing. You could go to one of the busy JAA schools if you wanted and pay around $90 an hour for a 152 but there's no need really. You could have a look around and find places like www.flymiami.com/ where you can get a 172 for $88 (100 hour block booking). That's 68 euro today! In Ireland would you get a 172 for anything less than 150? If you want to do 100 hours you're still going to save a lot of money even with flights and a place to stay all in.

I'm more than happy with my school here it's one of the best I've been to with top instructors. If you want a career with an Irish airline flying in Ireland I think it's imperative to do your IR and possibly CPL here, but not your hour buildling. It simply takes too long and is too expensive.

shrtfld
Verified User
Verified User

Post by shrtfld » Wed Apr 22, 2009 6:22 pm

Whatever about the pros and cons of hour building in Ireland or the USA I have to endorse Homer Jay's recommendation of SunState in Kissimmee.

A great outfit and a great fleet of new or almost new C172's with both glass and six pack versions available. I have used them on three occassions over the past three years and have done my last two BFR's with them.

There are probably some two dozen airfields inside 90 minutes - many in under 45 minutes. One word of warning about September - it is hot and bumpy (though not as bad as June-August). Be prepared to sit out a few thunderstorms.

The guy to speak to is Mike Camelin
Shrtfld

KeithT
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by KeithT » Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:54 pm

From my own personal experience, I would strongly suggest if you do go abroad, to leave quite a few hours to do at home or wherever you plan to do your professional training.

I did about 85 hours of my HB away and finished it off in Weston, and those 15 hours stood to me for my CPL, with regards to everything from Nav-ing to getting used to airspace and ATC liasion.

GJOYT
Verified User
Verified User

Post by GJOYT » Thu Apr 23, 2009 1:16 pm

I am doing my hour building in Enniskillen in a Cessna 152. G-CEYG

Normal solo hire is £98 an hour and to buy block hours the rate is £75 an hour which is pretty decent with a good exchange can work out at over 80EURO an hour. As the aircraft is based there all landings and touch and goes are for free!

Steve who owns it is pretty sound. If interested you can call Fermanagh Flight Center/Amphibious Flying Club on 00447962213976.

As for accommodation you could get a pretty cheap caravan up the road from the airport at the yought club over looking lough erne for cheap enough. If you ring up about hour building as Tracey or Steve about accommodation.
Last edited by GJOYT on Thu Apr 30, 2009 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AidanR2007
Verified User
Verified User

Hour Building

Post by AidanR2007 » Mon Apr 27, 2009 7:29 pm

Hi Guys

Big Thanks for all your information (especially Mr Crow), I will firstly see how the first set of exams go :shock: and take it form there

Thanks
Aidan

P.s. just a shout out to Mark to say well done on getting your frozen ATPL :wink:

mr crow
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by mr crow » Tue Apr 28, 2009 12:22 am

Last edited by mr crow on Sat Jan 09, 2010 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ryr448l
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by ryr448l » Thu Aug 20, 2009 7:34 pm

Hello everyone. I've just come accross this thread and I found it very interesting. I'm very close to finishing my atpl's and like many have the view to hourbuilding.
I always thought that I would be going back to Florida for my hourbuilding but with the way the economy/industry is at the moement I am in no hurry to finish my training.
Just to follow on from the above posts, how long roughly would it take to build 100hrs pic in Ireland?
Also I have being looking at Skytrace in Weston for aircraft rental, they require a 5 hour checkout as opposed to NFC's 20hr one. Has anyone any views on Skytrace or experiences etc.
Thank you very much for your time. :wink:

vanman
Verified User
Verified User

Post by vanman » Mon Aug 24, 2009 11:22 am

NFC's 20hr one
20 hours? Last I heard it was 5 hours and that was purely for insurance reasons. Even a student pilot can go solo in less time. Are you sure it's not a minimum time for rental purposes?

In any case you might be better off joining a club, it would be cheaper and you get a lot of midweek availability. As for how long it takes, well that depends on aircraft availability and your stamina. You can easily do five hours or more in a day when the weather is good. My record is eight hours in a day with 13 take offs and landings, not circuits. Plus the weather here is more flyable than people sometimes think as long as you don't expect to fly long distances every time.