atc help thanks

This is a forum where student pilots can post their questions for more experienced pilots and instructors to answer

Moderator: mark

libertyxl2flyer
Unverified User
Unverified User

atc help thanks

Post by libertyxl2flyer » Thu Mar 19, 2009 11:55 pm

hi guys i might come in for a bit of stick for this but hey ah well this is what the forum is for learning.

could sombody tell me what dublin freq i would use if i was headin south down towards rosslare from around newcastle before i contact waterford

and i usualy fly at around 2500ft around that area is that a good alt or would u recomend a higher one

would be glad of the feed back
n550xl make left traffic report midfield downwind cleard for takeoff runway 08

mr crow
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by mr crow » Fri Mar 20, 2009 12:42 am

Last edited by mr crow on Sat Jan 09, 2010 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

OnTheNumbers
Verified User
Verified User

Post by OnTheNumbers » Fri Mar 20, 2009 8:19 am

I don't have my chart with me so I can't really comment on your choice of alititude.

As for the frequency; if you're heading south from Newcastle I wouldn't bother contacting Dublin at all just use Shannon.

David
OnTheNumbers
-------------------------------------------------------
http://www.clearofcloud.ie
@clearofcloud on Twitter, Instagram

libertyxl2flyer
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by libertyxl2flyer » Fri Mar 20, 2009 5:28 pm

cheers lads always greatful for the help

stovepipe
Verified User
Verified User

Post by stovepipe » Fri Mar 20, 2009 6:59 pm

Hi there
it's a comparatively short journey so the altitude is probably fine. You're not obliged to talk to anyone unless you enter controlled airspace, either by climbing up into it or entering a Control Zone. You should keep a listening watch to Shannon, as they may be providing other traffic with information about you. The nearer you get to Waterford Zone, you should keep an ear to their frequencyas a lot of their traffic routes up the coast to Dublin. Apart from that, all that granite near Newcastle should make you wary about high ground, especially in hazy summer weather.
regards
Stovepipe

libertyxl2flyer
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by libertyxl2flyer » Sat Mar 21, 2009 12:19 am

thanks for that
i actualy fly from kilrush i just fly over towards newcastle then down the coast i usualy just keep an ear out on the different freq's i just thought i would put the question out there to see if it is ok airmanship dare i say to fly without talking to anybody i know i dont have to but dont want to be picking up too many bad habbits by not talking to big atc centres like dub or shannon

but thanks for the feed back guys keep it comin and if anybody has any suggestions for nice flights from kilrush in not too busy airspace i would like to hear of some thanks guys

mr crow
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by mr crow » Sat Mar 21, 2009 12:15 pm

'
Last edited by mr crow on Sat Jan 09, 2010 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KeithT
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by KeithT » Sat Mar 21, 2009 1:18 pm

If there is someone there to talk to , talk to them.

Always use everything available to you.

shamrock/heavy
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by shamrock/heavy » Sat Mar 21, 2009 1:32 pm

Hi, I agree with the above comments, atc are there to provide a service so why not use this service you don't gain anything really by not doing so. Wouldn't you like to update with Dubs QNH to avoid busting any airspace, if you get into difficulty for whatever reason wouldn't it be nice to be able let atc know so that they can organise whatever help might be needed. If you have filed a plan and have recieved a squawk they will instantly know where you are if you don't it will take them longer to locate you simply because they are unaware of your presence if nothing else. Plus if flying at 2500 you dont have much time to get in touch before you lose line of sight. As said above there is a service there so use it.

stovepipe
Verified User
Verified User

Post by stovepipe » Sat Mar 21, 2009 9:59 pm

Hi there
If he's at 2500',going from Kilrush to Rosslare then he's in Class G so is in no need of a flight plan.He could simply call Shannon and let them know he's out there.They'll be able to see him anyway on radar and can alert any potentially conflicting traffic in time.
regards
Stovepipe

j3cub

Post by j3cub » Sun Mar 22, 2009 1:50 am

Post Removed

mr crow
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by mr crow » Sun Mar 22, 2009 2:59 am

Last edited by mr crow on Sat Jan 09, 2010 8:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Dogbiscuit
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Dogbiscuit » Sun Mar 22, 2009 8:36 am

Have to agree with Mr Crow, to be fully correct, if you are going to seek a flight information service from Shannon, the AIP says that that you shall submit a flight plan for any flight that will be provided with an ATC service. This flight plan must be submitted prior to operating.

The flight information service that Shannon provide is part of an ATC Service.

In practice, Shannon will accept a call and this has become the norm, but don't forget when they are busy they could have two frequencies in use with one controller. He could be talking to a Ryanair one minute and then listening to a VFR the next. Having your details in front of him helps him provide a better service to everybody.

Whisky Tango
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Whisky Tango » Sun Mar 22, 2009 9:11 am

That's not correct, you can get FIS without filing a flightplan. A flightplan is only required if entering Class C airspace. Part C below referes to such airspace, not Class G. So you can buzz around Class G, ask for and (probably) get FIS from Dublin or Shannon, without filing.

ENR 1.10:
A flight plan shall be submitted in accordance with the above prior to operating,
a) Any flight or portion thereof to be provided with air traffic control service;
b) any IFR flight within advisory airspace;
c) any flight within or into designated areas, along designated routes, when so required by the
appropriate ATS authority to facilitate the provision of flight information, alerting and search
and rescue services;
d) any flight within or into designated areas, or along designated routes, when so required by the
appropriate ATS authority to facilitate co-ordination with appropriate military units or with air
traffic services units or with air traffic services units in adjacent states in order to avoid the
possible need for interception for the purpose of identification;
e) any flight across international borders;
f) within the State, for any flight of which at least a total of 30 nautical miles is over water.
[/i]

mr crow
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by mr crow » Sun Mar 22, 2009 10:10 am

Last edited by mr crow on Sat Jan 09, 2010 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.