Tax relief or grants for students?

This is a forum where student pilots can post their questions for more experienced pilots and instructors to answer

Moderator: mark

holybejaysus
Unverified User
Unverified User

Tax relief or grants for students?

Post by holybejaysus »

Hey guys,
Does anyone know if there is any grant available for flight training abroad? I would've thought this qualifies as third level education, surely our all knowing government would be encouraging the educational development of it's citizens?.....
On another note, can someone tell me if there is some way to claim tax back on flight training abroad? I'm in Canada at the moment, just after getting my Heli CPL, and I was wondering if I can claim ithe tax back, either in Ireland or Canada? I know the courses here are 100% tax deductible for Canadian citizens. I've also heard a rumour that I can claim a maximum of $5000 back on my taxes when I start working here, but I'm no accountant.....
Any information would be gratefully appreciated!

driver1a
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by driver1a »

A grant for flight training? Only in our wildest dreams. No, not a chance.

As for taxes, I'm no expert but basically no. Not to mention the fact that I can't imagine a scenario where you can claim back taxes from the Irish government for tax paid in Canada.

Can't speak for Canada though.

Zyox
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Zyox »

For flight training in Canada you can claim back all taxes towards flying if it's going towards commercial training. Assuming this is Ontario then you can get 14% of everything back.

You need to fill out a "Tuition Fees Certificate - Flying School or Club" form.
This form is available from the Canada Revenue website and the code for it is: TL11B (07).

Fill that out, get your CFI to sign it off, photocopy last page(s) of your logbook, and stick it in with a cover letter giving them the total amount you spent on flying with a break down of amounts spent on:
- Flight Simulation
- Supplies
- Ground School and Briefing
- Transport Canada Admin fees
and a nice big pretty pretty please and thank you at the end.

Hope that helps!
::: Image :::

zulu10
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by zulu10 »

FYI. You can claim tax relief on flight training costs in Ireland. If you spent x amount in Ireland within the last 3 years then you may earn 'as a self employed pilot' up to x amonut tax free. As long as the costs incured were related to improving your present job then you may claim it as an expense. Not sure if you can claim for the same for flight training that took place in antoher state.

fadgest
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by fadgest »

I spoke with Revenue Canada today to see if I would be able to reclaim any of the HST tax that I paid on my PPL training last year. I was told I could only claim this back if I was registered with Revenue Canada and have been paying income tax in Canada. It would appear that if you go over just to training and then return to home you wont be eligible for a refund

ADDICT
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by ADDICT »

Hi all, my first post :D

Am very keen to hear more on this with regard to Ireland.
If anyone knows could they please tell us :) ty in advance

JoeMc
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by JoeMc »

Hi Guys

OK here is the situation as I understand it regarding tax relief on training costs.

If you are a commercial pilot and an employee (as apposed to self employed) of the firm you fly for and you incur training costs/conversion costs/ratings etc. the Revenue WILL NOT allow these costs as a deduction from your income.

Deductions from your income are called Schedule E expenses and if you check the Revenue website they will give you a list of these which basically have been established with the social partners/unions. But these deductions amount to only a couple hundred euros on the most part. They relate to things like uniform costs etc.

The argument Revenue put forward for disallowing any flying training expenses are that they do not agree that they are “wholly, exclusively and necessarily” for the purpose of employment. (Which I strongly disagree with, as to fly a aircraft its pretty necessary to have trained on it, - but there you go!!).

I had a one such case in practice a few years ago, where 20k was incurred in a conversion, but it was bucked by Revenue on the “necessarily” grounds.

If you are self employed, you might have more luck as the rule for expense deduction in your accounts does not include the word “necessarily” which widens the scope of allowable deductions. However you could find yourself in sticky stuff if a revenue auditor decides its not a deductible expense and seeks to impose interest and penalties on you.

No one (as far as I know) has taken a case against Revenue in this regard and I don’t know how successful one would be if they did. Problem being court route could prove more expensive that an APTL.

So to conclude, there is not a hope of getting tax relief on PPL expenses from the Irish Revenue if you are employee. And to be honest I wouldn’t hold out much for a successful self employment claim either.

Sorry to be so Bah-Humbug ..

driver1a
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by driver1a »

As I'm self employed and spending money on further training in this coming year. I will be putting this to the test. All they can do is reject it.

stovepipe
Verified User
Verified User

Post by stovepipe »

Hi there
Has anyone claimed back a portion of their medical costs, under the PAYE system?
regards
Stovepipe

JoeMc
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by JoeMc »

Caliming back medical expenses on the PAYE system is straightforward. Go to Revenue.ie and print of a form MED1. tot up all your doctor bills, prescriptions, non routine dental expenses (eg braces, root canal), your dentist will have given you a MED2 if you got any of this work done. remember you can claim for your wife and childrens expenses too.

lash the form into your local tax office and in about 4 weeks you should get a refund.

any problems filling out the from. pm me.

and in case its relevant to anyone here, the cost of lazer eye surgery qualifys for tax relief.