Change of state of license issue?

This is a forum where student pilots can post their questions for more experienced pilots and instructors to answer

Moderator: mark

AndyMax
Unverified User
Unverified User

Change of state of license issue?

Post by AndyMax » Thu Nov 06, 2008 3:07 pm

Hello,

Im just curious what's involved with changing my UK CPL to an IAA issued one?. I have an IAA MEP and IR Class Ratings and Im fed up having to deal with two Authorities. Its a logistical nightmare with paperwork and fees. IAA want this....the CAA want that.....pulling my hair out!

So is it an easy job to have my CPL changed over to an IAA CPL so that I only have to deal with one Authority.

Thanks.

Cosmic
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Cosmic » Thu Nov 06, 2008 3:25 pm

Andymax, Yes it is relatively painless. Complete this form : http://www.iaa.ie/files/2008/safetyreg/ ... L_Form.pdf

It takes about 10 weeks if you are dealing with the UK CAA as I was. With others your mileage may vary.

You may be required to take another medical if your Medical is not from one of the two states you are transferring between. I had a Swiss medical and it took a little longer as the IAAs medical type person wanted some of the figures from the various examinations for a more detailed history I presume.

Also the small matter of the 400 odd Euro. The IAA has to pay fopr those final salary pensions after all! :roll:
We who fly do so for the love of flying. We are alive in the air with this miracle that lies in our hands and beneath our feet.

— Cecil Day Lewis

driver1a
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by driver1a » Thu Nov 06, 2008 5:09 pm

I was in personnel licensing once when a new Ryanair pilot came in with his CAA licence to convert to IAA. A few minutes later he walked out with his shiny new Irish licence, minus his British one. The CAA ask for them back.

That was it. Simple as that.

AndyMax
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by AndyMax » Thu Nov 06, 2008 10:05 pm

Thanks very much for the help.

Cosmic
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Cosmic » Sun Nov 09, 2008 8:19 am

driver1a

It most certainly isn't that easy. What you saw was the final step in a long process. I've been through it recently and I wish it was!
We who fly do so for the love of flying. We are alive in the air with this miracle that lies in our hands and beneath our feet.

— Cecil Day Lewis

tu154
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by tu154 » Tue Nov 11, 2008 8:33 am

You have to be able to prove your 'ties' to the state you are transferring to, which effectively means proving you either live, work or are resident there. If you can do this then you will be able to jump through the hoops required.