South African Training what do you come out with...?

This is a forum where student pilots can post their questions for more experienced pilots and instructors to answer

Moderator: mark

johnc24
Unverified User
Unverified User

South African Training what do you come out with...?

Post by johnc24 » Sun Nov 02, 2008 10:59 pm

Good Evening all

I was just having a look at some flight school in SA.
Although not one of the schools I have looked at make reference to whether you come out with a CAA,FAA,JAA licence.

Can anyone enlighten me on the fact?

Does anyone have any experience of Flight Schools in SA?

Thanks all
J

driver1a
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by driver1a » Mon Nov 03, 2008 12:11 pm

At risk of stating the obvious, A South African CAA licence. There might be a school there offering a British CAA approved JAA course. But I don't know for sure.

You don't mention which licence you are thinking of doing. But if it's a CPL etc. Then you will have to convert that later by doing the JAA written exams and some flight training and passing the CPL and Multi/IR flight tests when you come back.

johnc24
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by johnc24 » Mon Nov 03, 2008 12:18 pm

driver1a

SA CAA it is then, I am hoping to get my full atpl.
However from what I have seen so far it is difficult to ascertain what licenses one comes out with and now I know it's SA CAA which will then need to be converted you say.

If you happen to know any schools out there that do offer CAA/JAA courses to atpl level I would love to know

J

ifty
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by ifty » Mon Nov 03, 2008 8:11 pm

I looked into this a while ago but not in any great detail it has to be said, I came to the conclusion it would be easier and not a whole lot more expensive to do the training here or the UK.
You pass this way but once, there is no such thing as normal. There is you and the rest, now and forever. Do as you damn well please or you could end up being a pot-bellied, hairless boring old fart.

Cosmic
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Cosmic » Thu Nov 06, 2008 3:33 pm

I came to the conclusion it would be easier and not a whole lot more expensive to do the training here or the UK.

There is a lot of wasted time and hanging about waiting for the weather in Ireland and England, and that burns lots of money, is very frustrating and breaks momentum. Training overseas is not always any cheaper but you can do more in a much shorter space of time when the weather is onside. As someone who completed a PPL in 4 weeks and 45 hrs from start to finish it seems barely believable to me that people in Ireland get bogged down for 1-2 years and 100hrs to get one.
We who fly do so for the love of flying. We are alive in the air with this miracle that lies in our hands and beneath our feet.

— Cecil Day Lewis

ifty
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by ifty » Thu Nov 06, 2008 3:49 pm

I am personally of the opinion that if a course is spread out over a longer time (within) reason then you get to experience varied conditions, time to mull over your last flight, etc. Yes it can be frustrating and demoralising sometimes, but thats the way I look at it.

(and there does not seem to be a great need for pilots at the moment)
You pass this way but once, there is no such thing as normal. There is you and the rest, now and forever. Do as you damn well please or you could end up being a pot-bellied, hairless boring old fart.