Where to go in Florida?

This is a forum where student pilots can post their questions for more experienced pilots and instructors to answer

Moderator: mark

EIEIO
Unverified User
Unverified User

Where to go in Florida?

Post by EIEIO » Fri Oct 31, 2008 9:08 pm

Hi all.

Im a student wishing to complete part of my training in Florida. I currently have a ppl and the 14atpl exams passed.
I wish to bulid 70hrs, do a night rating, JAA CPL SEP and a JAA multi engine rating. I'll then do my multi IR back in Ireland.
The schools i have been looking at so far are Orlando Flight Training, Ormond Beech Aviation and European Flight Training.
Does anyone have any good/bad experience of these or am i over looking somewhere?
Any other tips/advice would be appreciated.
Thanks

hibby
Verified User
Verified User

Post by hibby » Sat Nov 01, 2008 7:48 pm

If you are considering Ormond Beach Aviation, you should try to find out in advance whether they have enough planes and enough instructors at the moment. I successfully completed my training there in February/March of this year. Since then I've heard from various people that they lost a number of instructors and that they were down to 2 at one point. Also there were a number of aircraft unavailable due to accidents.

In my experience, they will not tell you any of these things in advance. You will not hear from any official source about anything that's going on at the school until you arrive there for your first day of training.

So, I would strongly recommend trying to make contact with a current or recent student and finding out the most up-to-date information.

dhblewis
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by dhblewis » Sun Nov 02, 2008 2:15 pm

Just to let you know -im at oba now doing my ppl.

Im my instructors only student.

Theres about 5-6 instructors and plane availability is pretty good.

Any questions just email/pm me. me.

Cosmic
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Cosmic » Thu Nov 06, 2008 3:17 pm

I was a JAR PPL + ATPL and FAA IR student at Naples and did my Multi and CPL in EFT.

Naples is a fabulous place to live with a good training evironment. Busy but not too busy tower controlled airfield, easy access to Fort Myers for Instrument work and lots of uncontolled airfields for other exercises. Prices are quite sensible for training and they have a few years experience of training for the JAA exams. The Groundschool was a shambles when I was there but it's over 5 years ago now, and I heard they had a staff change and get quite good results now. When flying you will most likely be taught by FAA instructors, which can be a bad thing as you will pick up some non JAA habits as such.

EFT was by far the best training I had experienced. ALL the instructors were Europeans who were primarily JAA rated and also had FAA tickets so they could teach legally in the US. It was to a very high standard, it was structured and regulated but by god did they know how to charge. They were outrageously expensive! They did get me through in minimum hours and in a very short time frame. I think I did the CPL in about 10 days as a I flew twice a day, every day.

Just remember that all these schools are sharks who want to part you with your money and never EVER pay in advance for a course of training. I came back from lunch at a flight school to find the IRS had swooped in and shut the place down! It happens that fast.
We who fly do so for the love of flying. We are alive in the air with this miracle that lies in our hands and beneath our feet.

— Cecil Day Lewis