PANIC STATIONS (NEED ADVICE)

This is a forum where student pilots can post their questions for more experienced pilots and instructors to answer

Moderator: mark

airoshane
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by airoshane » Wed Oct 22, 2008 1:10 pm

I'm currently in 3rd year in Aircraft Systems in Carlow. First year has a lot of electronics, physics and maths. This has to be done for the JAR exams. It may seem like hell but it passes quickly. The practical side of the course starts after christmas. You will also study the PPL groundschool material after christmas too. Put up with the hard stuff... second year much easier! Trust me!

airbus
Unverified User
Unverified User

carlow

Post by airbus » Thu Oct 23, 2008 12:47 am

airoshane i'm glad to hear that i'm not the only one who finds the course difficult in first year speaking of the JARS as i'm not really passionate about the engineers side of the industry do you think it would a good decision if i sit the A type JAR exams or is this limiting my future just in case i do need to get a job in the future (outside of the pilot end of it).

Also i'm worried that if i am finding the course difficult in first year will i be totally lost by 2nd year if i make it that far.

Also maybe you could give me a straight awnser to this question cos everyone i ask gives me different answer --->I am really doing AVIONICS but the aircraft systems course and avionics have been combined does this mean i have to do three years now instead of the normal 2 year avionics course.

airoshane
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by airoshane » Thu Oct 23, 2008 6:21 pm

You won't be lost next year! After christmas you'll never have to worry about maths and physics again! You will have completely different subjects after christmas.

With the 2 or 3 year thing... You can leave after 2 years and you will get a higher cert (level 6) and if you hang on an extra year you'll get the ordinary degree (level 7) A few lads in my class got jobs in shannon aerospace and didn't come back for 3rd year. They got the level 6 higher cert.

As for the jar exams. I'd advise you to do them to A licence level. If you pass the house exmas, these shouldn't be too much extra strain. This is much easier than B1 and B2 level. I have them all to B1 level but I hope to get the EASA 66 B1.1 licence in just over a year.

Dutch Roll
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Dutch Roll » Thu Oct 23, 2008 7:08 pm

B1 next year?without experience? dont make me laugh,theres no way the IAA will count 3 years of being in college as time towards your license,i dont care what it says on paper,its not done.
115 VAC @400Hz

Bob
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Bob » Thu Oct 23, 2008 7:31 pm

Did you pass air leg aeroshane???

2. for category B2 and subcategories B1.1 and B1.3:
(i) five years of practical maintenance experience on operating aircraft if the applicant has no previous relevant
technical training; or
(ii) three years of practical maintenance experience on operating aircraft and completion of training considered
relevant by the competent authority as a skilled worker, in a technical trade; or
(iii) two years of practical maintenance experience on operating aircraft and completion of a Part -147 approved
basic training course.

Above is a quote from part 66, so therefore the minimum you need is 2 years experience on operating aircraft.

Have you found out whether the IAA recougnise Carlow as an approved Part-147 Course. I understand Carlow has a 147 for doing exams but I would be sceptical that the course itself has approval.

If Carlows course is not approved then this leaves you in the first catagory i.e. you need 5 years practical experience.

Dutch Roll
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Dutch Roll » Thu Oct 23, 2008 7:37 pm

its approved alright bob but the IAA wont give a discount on time for doing the exams in college,even 2 years working experience is nothing,a company will not give their approval to a b1/b2 unless they have a good bit of experience
115 VAC @400Hz

airoshane
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by airoshane » Fri Oct 24, 2008 10:18 pm

Sorry lads, type error! Its the B1.2 i'm going for (piston)

66.A.30 1 part 3 states that I need one year of practical maintenance experience on operating aircraft and completion of a part-147 approved basic training course.

I have a fair chunk of that experience done already in a part 145 organisation and the course in Carlow is 147 approved.

As for company approval... Company approval can be obtained very quickly when there are only 4 people working in the company!