ppl despair

This is a forum where student pilots can post their questions for more experienced pilots and instructors to answer

Moderator: mark

romeo sierra
Unverified User
Unverified User

ppl despair

Post by romeo sierra » Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:03 pm

hi all
im currently doing my ppl eick, i am an older student and currrently iv done about 55 hrs have been doing lessons for 12 mths , im at the nave x stage 3rd one. feels like there is no end in sight. wx really messed me up this summer ( if u can call it that). have my teory in nov. can anyone advise me on when i am looking at completing my ppl in reality. for someone who only plans on flying as a hobby maybe buying in on an aircraft something economical, should i do ir or multi next or is this a waste.
thanks
sm

Sierra Papa
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Sierra Papa » Mon Oct 20, 2008 9:16 pm

Hi,

Keep the faith!
The weather in this country in not exactly perfect for aviating but don't get discouraged, keep bookin lots of lessons and some days will be bright and some wont. We all had to go that way - you set of for your well planned nav-ex just to find out that you must turn back 10 minutes later or maybe you do't even get to take off in the first place. If you get your exams in Nov (good luck), Hope for a few sunny days in Dec and you have your PPL before X-mass.

When it comes to the future I would rent an aircraft and fly to as many places in Ireland as possible, get to know people and it'll soon be clear if you want to buy in or rent or join a club.

All the best. Sierra Papa

romeo sierra
Unverified User
Unverified User

ppl despair

Post by romeo sierra » Mon Oct 20, 2008 9:27 pm

thanks siera papa for advice.

EiMPB
Verified User
Verified User

Post by EiMPB » Tue Oct 21, 2008 12:30 am

Hi Romeo Sierra,

I agree with Sierra Papa, Keep at it!

Theres nothing like the feeling of the first flight on your own licence and bringing the first passenger with you! Its a feeling I'll never forget!

The weather in Ireland is a heart breaker! I'm hour building towards the CPL at the moment and its like banging my head off a wall sometimes!

All I will say is don't get your hopes up for the PPL by Christmas! Its probably very achieveable, but you can be almost certain that the weather will keep you grounded a lot more that you'd like it too! You'll be sitting in work looking at perfect flying days and end up out in the airport looking at gales and it p**sing rain on you!

Just keep booking the lessons, go out everytime and keep the chin up! I put myself under pressure to get it done quickly and I got very frustrated with it, which lead to sloppy and rushed flying when I did get up which in the end only slowed me down.

Its a long hard road, but its well worth it in the end!

Cheers,

MPB.

Oh... I wouldn't think about doing the Multi yet.... see what happens when you're finished the PPL. If you feel like the challenge and can see a benefit from it, then go do it!

JoeMc
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by JoeMc » Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:06 am

Hi SM

I feel your pain, I started in 2007 and built a few hours, nothing serious and then at the start of this year the flying bug really bit me. I booked flying for every weekend and hoped that I would be well on my way by the end of the year. As it turns out I had 15 spoiled hours because of the weather.

But feck it I still got a good few hours and sure we may as well just keep plugging away. 55hrs is mighty time for a year, I wish I had it. I cant tell you how to feel, but for me, as I too only want my ppl for pleasure I’m trying not to fret over the length of time to the licence, I’m just taking it hour by hour and when the licence comes it comes. With the weather we get there is no point in setting a “must have it by date” as I think it will only lead to a disappointment. (I wish I were this relaxed in my day-to-day job). Keep the faith buddy it will come together. Best of luck in the exams!

NoSiG
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by NoSiG » Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:40 pm

Hi Romeo Sierra,
Flying's like that! I took 4 years and 110 hours on my journey to ppl, and enjoyed it all. Had all the missed lessons due to weather, aircraft going tech, turnover of instructors, etc. But there were many great flying days too. So, keep the faith and enjoy the journey to your ppl (and beyond).
Cheers, nosig.

scraggane
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by scraggane » Tue Oct 28, 2008 11:49 pm

I started training for my ppl in Coonagh in 2004. Between then and 2006 I made relatively solid progress and accumulated around 30 hours, including about 3 solo hours. But since then things have ground to a halt. Due to weather (mostly) and other constraints in the club and my own life I decided about a year ago that i wasn't making any progress and was throwing good money after bad. I'm gutted about it because it's something I've always wanted to do. I haven't given up hope, however, and am giving serious consideration to going to a flying school in South Africa next year and training for the ppl there. I hope it works out.

As a matter of interest, is there anybody here who has had a similar experience and bitten the bullet and gone abroad to get the ppl? I'd like to hear how you got on.

hibby
Verified User
Verified User

Post by hibby » Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:00 pm

scraggane wrote:As a matter of interest, is there anybody here who has had a similar experience and bitten the bullet and gone abroad to get the ppl? I'd like to hear how you got on.

That would be me. I spent a long time trying to get the PPL in Ireland, and racked up many hours and many thousands of euro in the process. I was always "a couple of months away" from getting the licence - I was told I was on track to get it by May, by the end of the summer; then the following year I would be hearing the same thing from a different instructor.

I am a little reluctant to go into detail, because on a previous occasion when I wrote on this forum about my experiences, I was criticised for complaining when "real pilots" just get on with flying.

Anyway, after 4 years I decided to look into the option of doing the PPL in the US, and went to Ormond Beach Aviation in Florida. I paid a fixed amount (I think it was $8000 at the time) for an "all-inclusive" 3-week course, resulting in a UK-issued JAA licence.

Studying in the US isn't a surefire route to success either - despite what everyone here seems to think, Florida has a lot of weather, and there are a lot of flying days lost. 3 weeks is hopelessly unrealistic for someone who is genuinely starting from scratch. But for someone who has already done a lot of training and study in Ireland, plan for 4-5 weeks (and some extra money,too) and it can be a very good solution. The biggest advantage is the "total immersion"; flying, studying, planning, living with other student pilots, and talking and thinking about little else, day after day.

Trigger
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Trigger » Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:16 am

OK
Started in 2001 (Ireland)
Stopped in 2002
Started back in 2005 (Still Ireland)
Currently waiting on Cross Country Solo before applying for the flight test.
Current Hours 61
Current Hours in life 420,480 hrs !!!! :oops:
But hey I'm still officially a student !!!
I'll be a PPL before this time next year , Please God, Allah, Buddah, Hare Krishna, St Patrick, Mother Mary and all Blessed examiners of the IAA, etc

Dont despair my friend, you have plenty of time. :wink:

dara
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by dara » Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:41 am

I did my PPL in florida as part of a airline course and it took a little over 5 weeks, and that was groundschool and flyin 5/6 days a week! how guys do it in 3 weeks from scratch ill never know :!:
If you are asking me if this old plane is safe to fly, how do you think it got to be this old?

Cosmic
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Cosmic » Thu Nov 06, 2008 3:42 pm

Romeo Sierra Would you not consider going abroad in search of some better weather? It doesn't even have to be the US, there are schools in Spain who are eager to help.

As I've said elsewhere, I did my PPL in 4 weeks and 45 hrs start to finish. It seems barely believable that people spend a year or two in Ireland and 100s of hours trying to get one. The problem is that by doing it over such a long time is that there is very little continuity inlessons, you will inevitably end up going over the same ground over and over again. It is unlikley you will have the same instructor and this also leads to more overlaps and wasted time and money.

When you fly twice a day for four weeks, sometimes up to 7 days a week you are striking while the Iron is hot and recency of experience is not such an issue. You will also start to gain some momentum and that will feel utterly fantastic after the frustrations you have suffered.

I realise that taking a month off work is a big ask for most people, but could you break it down into two closely spaced 2 week holidays?
We who fly do so for the love of flying. We are alive in the air with this miracle that lies in our hands and beneath our feet.

— Cecil Day Lewis

driver1a
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by driver1a » Thu Nov 06, 2008 5:22 pm

It is possible to do it very quickly in Ireland even with our weather. I've known people to do it in two months and that wasn't even during the summer. But that was practically full time. If you book every day and turn up every day it's possible. But most people are part timers. Going to America works too but the same principle applies even if the weather is perfect. You have to turn up every day and work hard.

There's no easy answers except persistence.

Perhaps once you have got close to the hours, you should consider taking time off to fly non stop for a couple of weeks. That might be enough to polish off the final bits. It's a gamble with the weather. But for someone with all the hours done. What you really need is finish the flying and get ready for the test. Even a week full time, Flying twice a day, could do that. It would have to be with a flying school obviously as no club could handle that. Worth considering?

Nanolight
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Nanolight » Thu Nov 06, 2008 11:59 pm

First it was money
Then when I had money it was work (cork)
Then When I finished working I went back to college I was broke again (and also in cork)
Then I was out of practice
Then we had our 'summer'
Then I got back into practice and started working agin and got some cash
Then I got a few weeks set aside to finsih my license once and for all and the plane went tech.
Then the plane got fixed but I had to go back to work and the evenings are short now.
Then I got a bit of practice in for my test.
Then I booked a mock test but it got cancelled due to the weather

I have another one booked for Sat, but it looks like the weather's going to roger me black and blue yet again. 3 years a student and counting...

Don't talk to me about frustration!
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

Flyer1
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Flyer1 » Fri Nov 07, 2008 10:09 pm

I could copy and paste Nanolights' post but that'd be plagiarism. Waiting now for that precious phone call from the examiner. It's tough but by gosh it's gonna be worth it :D

mikefox
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by mikefox » Mon Nov 10, 2008 9:49 pm

I started my ppl in 1999 and still at it.just waiting to do the qualifying cross
country.sat and passed my ground exams 3 times and am against the
clock again.DONT DESPAIR :( i HAVE ENJOYED EVERY MOMENT OF IT.
It will be worth it in the end . Best of luck to ppl success. If I can do it
believe me it is possible for anybody.