Why the costs differ?

This is a forum where student pilots can post their questions for more experienced pilots and instructors to answer

Moderator: mark

johnc24
Unverified User
Unverified User

Why the costs differ?

Post by johnc24 »

Evening all

I'm John, new to the forum.

I am absolutely baffled by all the FTO's out there. I have looked at sites over and over and my head is ready to explode.

My main query is this, 0-fATPL can cost in the region of €80,000 to €100,000
Integrated, however my idea was to do modular back to back so it should be cheaper.

When I look at modular in the UK for example Bristol Aviation

Basic : €52,500
Exams, Accommodation,Uniform etc :€12,500
(In my case)Mortgage Cover for 14 months: €14,000
10% contingency money : €8000

That all comes to €79,000.

However one looks at the likes of flyoba or flyoft in Orlando and they offer
a pro pilot course for $40,000 (€30,000) + IR Conversion in the UK at roughly £8000 ($14,000) and Accomodation costs are around $10,000, then you would need MCC £2,500 ($4,500)

Total : $69,000/ €51000

How can the states manage to do it for roughly €30,000 cheaper?
What am I missing in all of this?

These calculations were based on the flyoft website.

Thanks all for your input?

zulu10
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by zulu10 »

You are missing nothing . The fact is that its always cheaper to rent an aircraft in the US. You can convert your license like many of us before you and 50K is a reasonable figure. With the 0 to fatpl integrated courses the thinking and organising is done by the school and they charge you ott for this administration. Do it yourself and youll save yourself a forutune. The FAA PPL/CPL MEIR with conversion and MCC at home is the way to go AND you end up with the very same fatpl.

AndyMax
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by AndyMax »

zulu10 wrote:The FAA PPL/CPL MEIR with conversion and MCC at home is the way to go AND you end up with the very same fatpl.

I second that. Dont pay more than you need to over here. Go to the States for a year. You wont regret it.

johnc24
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by johnc24 »

ZULU and ANDYMAX

Thanks for your replies.

So are you saying you can go to to the states and do the FAA PPL, FAA CPL with ME and IR, and then do a IR conversion in Ireland/UK and then a MCC course and you can start sending out a CV??
What about the ATPL's? Maybe I am being ignorant , are they part of the CPL in a way. I think I am right, just not explaining it well.

Thanks
J

Also have you guys done the USA route and if so how was it for you?
PM me if you wish.

mr crow
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by mr crow »

Last edited by mr crow on Sun Jan 10, 2010 12:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

johnc24
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by johnc24 »

yeah thats what I was thinking, thanks for confirming.

I got the jeppesen ATPL manuals on ebay brand new for a ridiculously low price...anyway just wondering does anyone have any experience of these manuals. I am only using them to get a head start

Aslo mr.crow the steps you outilined below

ppl
ATPL exams
CPL /MEIR
MCC

thats all thats required to get to RHS kind of stuff.......:)

Thanks again

mr crow
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by mr crow »

Last edited by mr crow on Sun Jan 10, 2010 12:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

johnc24
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by johnc24 »

Oh yes I agree, the price was too good to let them go so I got them to have when I get to it.

I just noticed on the OFT site they want

Deposit: $1,000
Day of arrival: $15,000
30 Days after Arrival: $10,000
60 Days after Arrival: $10,000
90 Days after Arrival: Balance of Account

Seems a bit odd, the course is about 11months and they want all the money 3 months in....is it me or is that not normal, or more importantly not wise??

What would you all think of the above?

mr crow
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by mr crow »

Last edited by mr crow on Sun Jan 10, 2010 12:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

KeithT
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by KeithT »

Never. ever, pay up front! EVER! :idea:

zulu10
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by zulu10 »

John

I wouldnt sign up for any of these combined courses that you quoted at OFT. Do your PPL first either faa or JAA in the US. At that stage you will be much wiser to following the cheapeest route. Few pilots have followed exactly the same route to fatpl.

mr crow
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by mr crow »

Last edited by mr crow on Sun Jan 10, 2010 12:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

stovepipe
Verified User
Verified User

Post by stovepipe »

Don't forget to do an instructor's rating,too.It'll help to keep hours up if all else fails.Also, put the price of a type rating in your budget.
regards
Stovepipe

johnc24
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by johnc24 »

Mr Crow

: Yeah Ormond Beach never really caught my attention anyway.
OFT seems ok but im still taking a very close look at it.I think I will heed your advice of trusting no one, its like a lions den out there!

Zulu10

Can I ask why you would not sign up to these courses?
I think they are OK, so long as the payment schedule changes to more of my liking.The reason I am keen on these "pro pilot" and other variations is because I would like to get through it as quickly as possible.

I am now worried about the facts I hear floating around about european airlines not liking US trained Pilots!

What a headache!! lol

zulu10
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by zulu10 »

Why part with big money and take the risk. Keep your options open so you can continue somewhere else if required. It wont slow you down doing it piecemeal, they will be glad to take your money anytime. At another flying school I experieced a situation whereby preference was given to introductory flights over long term students, because they had nothing to loose keeping the long term guys on hold. Once youve payed up you can be easily forgotten!
Anyway why the rush. I wouldn be in any rush at the moment. It would make more snese IMO if you could finiish around the time of a foreseeable upturn in the indusrty and that doesnt look likely anytime soon