27 & Saving BUT is it too late?

This is a forum where student pilots can post their questions for more experienced pilots and instructors to answer

Moderator: mark

Francie81
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Francie81 » Thu Aug 28, 2008 12:18 am

AndyMax wrote:Can you please tell us all how you are saving 800 a month on minimum wage! :shock: :shock: :shock:

Easy Andy when you have no bills, loans and still living at home oh and being the good Irish boy that I am not drinking at all on weekends albeit sitting in with a few cans of HACK :D, it can be done :wink:

GoGoGadgetGoAround
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by GoGoGadgetGoAround » Thu Aug 28, 2008 12:20 pm

Yeah you've got to have those licences before, for your situation I'd recommend getting your class 1 then heading over to the states and getting the PPL done there cheaply and quickly before the next round of cadets are taken on (before Christmas I think). Do you have a full driving licence?

The money will only start being deducted when your on line flying on a first officer's salary. Works out ok when your not paying interest on this amount, reckon if you took out a loan for this you'd be faced with an extra £5/6k to pay back.

Also, forgot to mention that they pay for your accomadation and household bills plus we get a monthly allowance of £400. Added together this would work out at around £17k! All these little extras take away a lot of hassle.

Only thing I have to say is be prepared to work very hard and put up with shitty jobs for a while but if I kept ploughing away modular at home I'd be working 2 jobs anyway!

It's well worth it in the end and your taking no risk with this unlike other 'cadetships' where your left with a potential bill of £60k+...!
Engine Failure: A condition which occurs when all fuel tanks mysteriously become filled with air

Francie81
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Francie81 » Thu Aug 28, 2008 4:59 pm

GoGoGadgetGoAround wrote:Yeah you've got to have those licences before, for your situation I'd recommend getting your class 1 then heading over to the states and getting the PPL done there cheaply and quickly before the next round of cadets are taken on (before Christmas I think). Do you have a full driving licence?

The money will only start being deducted when your on line flying on a first officer's salary. Works out ok when your not paying interest on this amount, reckon if you took out a loan for this you'd be faced with an extra £5/6k to pay back.

Also, forgot to mention that they pay for your accomadation and household bills plus we get a monthly allowance of £400. Added together this would work out at around £17k! All these little extras take away a lot of hassle.

Only thing I have to say is be prepared to work very hard and put up with shitty jobs for a while but if I kept ploughing away modular at home I'd be working 2 jobs anyway!

It's well worth it in the end and your taking no risk with this unlike other 'cadetships' where your left with a potential bill of £60k+...!

Thanks for that info mate thats very helpful to know. So would you not recommend the NFC to obtain the PPL rather than hitting state side. Yep I do have my full license. So how far are you on yourself?

AndyMax
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by AndyMax » Thu Aug 28, 2008 11:34 pm

Go to the US for your PPL Francie, you wont regret it. Then decide if you want to continue your training back home or even stay in the US to do the CPL MEIR like I did.

mr crow
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by mr crow » Thu Aug 28, 2008 11:56 pm

Last edited by mr crow on Sun Jan 10, 2010 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ifty
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by ifty » Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:55 am

bit of a thread creep anyone heard of/experienced cape flying services in South Africa seems extremely cheap to me
You pass this way but once, there is no such thing as normal. There is you and the rest, now and forever. Do as you damn well please or you could end up being a pot-bellied, hairless boring old fart.

Francie81
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Francie81 » Fri Aug 29, 2008 4:37 pm

AndyMax wrote:Go to the US for your PPL Francie, you wont regret it. Then decide if you want to continue your training back home or even stay in the US to do the CPL MEIR like I did.

Max did you go to oba florida to do your training and can you now go online with a company?

Thanks

Francie81
Unverified User
Unverified User

Aviation Rules

Post by Francie81 » Fri Aug 29, 2008 4:42 pm

Is it really true that you have to be starting at a veyr early age to make it to flying passenger jets? One of the lads at work told me that someone he knows whos a pilot with aer lingus was telling him that he went to florida with couple other lads to train at the age of 19 and couldn't be any later as it was part of an aviation rule? That sounds odd to me?

Cosmic
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Cosmic » Fri Aug 29, 2008 5:10 pm

Francie, Make sure to read the reference threads in the Pilot training secttion of PPRuNe. Although this site is a great resource, there isn't the same volume of people or the depth of experince as is on PPRuNe. Most of the questions you ask about age, finance are answered there. There are also, amongst all the doom and gloom some very uplifting succes stories!
We who fly do so for the love of flying. We are alive in the air with this miracle that lies in our hands and beneath our feet.

— Cecil Day Lewis

mr crow
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by mr crow » Fri Aug 29, 2008 7:42 pm

Last edited by mr crow on Sun Jan 10, 2010 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GoGoGadgetGoAround
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by GoGoGadgetGoAround » Sat Aug 30, 2008 4:09 pm

Francie81 wrote:Thanks for that info mate thats very helpful to know. So would you not recommend the NFC to obtain the PPL rather than hitting state side. Yep I do have my full license. So how far are you on yourself?

Don't get me wrong I think NFC are excellent, I did my PPL there, instructors all have time for you, training is great and there's generally a good atmosphere in the place. Reason I said to do it in the states was because you can get it done a lot quicker than you can here, so you'll have time to apply to the sponsorship.

Took me around 3 years to do my PPL! Mainly because of weather, money (lack of!), availability, and just getting pissed off with all the delays and not going back for a few months...! If I could do it again I would of just spent a month in the states.

I'd say your head is wrecked researching everything from schools to finance and getting differing advice on everything!! lol
Engine Failure: A condition which occurs when all fuel tanks mysteriously become filled with air

GoGoGadgetGoAround
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by GoGoGadgetGoAround » Sat Aug 30, 2008 4:12 pm

I'm 3 months into doing all the nasty jobs! another 3 months before I get my ATPL books but more looking forward to my week off in Oct!!

stovepipe
Verified User
Verified User

Post by stovepipe » Sat Aug 30, 2008 6:53 pm

Gadget,
At least the nasty jobs will end and they're not really all that hard when all is said and done.the payback is the right-hand seat.
regards
Stovepipe

GoGoGadgetGoAround
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by GoGoGadgetGoAround » Mon Sep 01, 2008 11:14 pm

Stevopipe,

I'd class cleaning the engineers toilets at 3am after a hard day's work a nasty job...lol

Nah but seriously don't get me wrong about it, it's definitley worth it and I know what the reward is so I have no problem doing anything.

Regards,

GoGoGadgetGoAround