27 & Saving BUT is it too late?

This is a forum where student pilots can post their questions for more experienced pilots and instructors to answer

Moderator: mark

Francie81
Unverified User
Unverified User

27 & Saving BUT is it too late?

Post by Francie81 » Tue Aug 26, 2008 12:46 am

Hi everyone,

I really want to become an airline pilot at the age of 27, I work full-time on min-wage with no loans and can save 800p/m at the moment I have 15K in the kitty already, I've started reading a flight manual learning alot from it soo far, from what i see its does cost an arm and a leg to go the civilised way although I came across a flight school in Australia (Basair) that seems alot less expensive to apply for PPL/CPL but am not always gonna believe what sites tell you. So my $1m question is can anyone out there guide me in the right direction from what you have read of my situation? I'd much appreciate it.

Thanks,
Francie

dara
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by dara » Tue Aug 26, 2008 8:37 am

I know people 14 years older than you doing atpls and cpls!

As for the school do your homework and talk to students.
If you are asking me if this old plane is safe to fly, how do you think it got to be this old?

jalastair
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by jalastair » Tue Aug 26, 2008 8:55 am

Well im 26 and am thinking of starting my PPL soon, so i def wouldnt reckon you are too old.
I am thinking of going with NFC, have a look in my forum about it, i have had some great responses to my questions on it, you have a lot more money in the Kitty than me and that is why i am going the NFC route as i can keep working

Jalastair

ifty
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by ifty » Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:01 am

Well I am 30 and decided to go for it you only can try go for it if its what you want to do
You pass this way but once, there is no such thing as normal. There is you and the rest, now and forever. Do as you damn well please or you could end up being a pot-bellied, hairless boring old fart.

ifty
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by ifty » Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:01 am

Well I am 30 and decided to start my PPL and see what happens with the rest . Go for it if its what you want to do
You pass this way but once, there is no such thing as normal. There is you and the rest, now and forever. Do as you damn well please or you could end up being a pot-bellied, hairless boring old fart.

walshmeister
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by walshmeister » Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:44 am

Why dont you consider doing your PPL at OBA in florida especially if u feel time is against you. You could get your JAA PPL for around 7k all exp incl in around one month and if your still enthusiastic about flying then consider your options... Check this linkj and download their info package!

HomerJay
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by HomerJay » Tue Aug 26, 2008 11:51 am

27 with 15k and saving 800 euro a month??????????

I don't think you should be worrying too much

walshmeister
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by walshmeister » Tue Aug 26, 2008 2:47 pm

Francie81
Unverified User
Unverified User

Hi again

Post by Francie81 » Tue Aug 26, 2008 5:36 pm

Thank you all soo much for the prompt responses, I feel better now knowing that. I think the NFC is a very good route and keeping your day job at the same time but am definately open to whatever best suits my position but I suppsoe its like anything else if you want it you'll work your way up to the top. Thanks for that link walsh I'd a quick look and am gonna check that out later in more detail and register.

EiMPB
Verified User
Verified User

Post by EiMPB » Wed Aug 27, 2008 12:56 am

Hey Francie,

I've finished my PPL with the NFC recently! I'm 26 and am starting the ATPLs next month!

If I were you with the money sitting there, I go and get it quickly! In Ireland, if you fly weekly or even twice a week it'll take you a year! I know the maths don't add up, but you'll get the weather stopping you, you'll get stuck in work and have to cancel and you'll get stuck in traffic.... the list is endless.

It all happened me! Last summer I flew 3 evenings a week and I was out there every weekend and it took me over a year! Did it in 60 hours too so it wasn't just my own ability (or lack of :P) that screwed me over!

Don't get me wrong, I've loved my experience with the NFC (read the post I left on jalastair's thread). I wasn't in a position to get the time off or to go away! I had to work through it! And it takes longer.

If speed is something you're looking for look abroad, if not and you're based in Dublin, go to the NFC!

Just my thoughts!

Cheers,

EIMPB.

AndyMax
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by AndyMax » Wed Aug 27, 2008 10:07 am

Can you please tell us all how you are saving 800 a month on minimum wage! :shock: :shock: :shock:

GoGoGadgetGoAround
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by GoGoGadgetGoAround » Wed Aug 27, 2008 6:35 pm

Hey Francie,

There's a place called Atlantic Airlines in Coventry, they're a night cargo operator that still run a cadetship, I started about 3 months ago with 2 other Irish fellas. You need a PPL (I think they'll accept either JAA or FAA and provide the conversion), a class 1 medical and a full driving licence before you can apply.

Drawback is you spend the first 6 months working your arse off driving crews around, cleaning and loading aircraft, making tea and coffee and other random stuff. Then after you get on line you'll be bonded for 5 years and have to payback £25,000 which is deducted from your pay (no interest to pay).

On the other hand you'll be pretty much guarenteed to make captain before your time is up, you get to see how the whole operation of the airline works and you won't have ridiculous loans to pay off for the next 20 years! Also, the age limit is 18 - 26 but they're flexible with this, a guy they took on last year was around 27 or 28 so it's still an option.

We've recently paired up with Multiflight in Leeds to provide training so applications go through them, I'll post over a link. Also, one of the other lads has posted a thread on this so I'll post that too.

Hope this helps!
Engine Failure: A condition which occurs when all fuel tanks mysteriously become filled with air

GoGoGadgetGoAround
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by GoGoGadgetGoAround » Wed Aug 27, 2008 6:39 pm

Engine Failure: A condition which occurs when all fuel tanks mysteriously become filled with air

GoGoGadgetGoAround
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by GoGoGadgetGoAround » Wed Aug 27, 2008 6:43 pm

Francie81
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Francie81 » Thu Aug 28, 2008 12:15 am

GoGoGadgetGoAround wrote:Hey Francie,

There's a place called Atlantic Airlines in Coventry, they're a night cargo operator that still run a cadetship, I started about 3 months ago with 2 other Irish fellas. You need a PPL (I think they'll accept either JAA or FAA and provide the conversion), a class 1 medical and a full driving licence before you can apply.

Drawback is you spend the first 6 months working your arse off driving crews around, cleaning and loading aircraft, making tea and coffee and other random stuff. Then after you get on line you'll be bonded for 5 years and have to payback £25,000 which is deducted from your pay (no interest to pay).

On the other hand you'll be pretty much guarenteed to make captain before your time is up, you get to see how the whole operation of the airline works and you won't have ridiculous loans to pay off for the next 20 years! Also, the age limit is 18 - 26 but they're flexible with this, a guy they took on last year was around 27 or 28 so it's still an option.

We've recently paired up with Multiflight in Leeds to provide training so applications go through them, I'll post over a link. Also, one of the other lads has posted a thread on this so I'll post that too.

Hope this helps!

Thanks GoGo,

So before anything you must hold them licenses? Then you just work your way in by doing everything/anything and then eventually when in proper flight training being deducted from your wages over the 5 years?