National Flight Centre

This is a forum where student pilots can post their questions for more experienced pilots and instructors to answer

Moderator: mark

jalastair
Unverified User
Unverified User

National Flight Centre

Post by jalastair » Wed Aug 20, 2008 12:26 pm

Im thinking of learning to be a pilot and im just wondering if there are any opinions out there on the National Flight Centre?

Im going to have to do a Modular course if i do it, has anyone had experience with them?

paul2123
Unverified User
Unverified User

National Flight Centre Weston Airport

Post by paul2123 » Wed Aug 20, 2008 2:57 pm

I have hust made the same decission myself and im hope to start my ppl there soon. I have been advised it was a good place to train. I rang the guy and he's very helpfull hel tel you everything you need to know price's etc.

jalastair
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by jalastair » Wed Aug 20, 2008 3:44 pm

Great stuff, yeah im hoping the same, but hearing stories about Pilot Training Centres and want to make sure i get the right one, that said i havnt heard anything bad about NFC yet!!

paul2123
Unverified User
Unverified User

nfc

Post by paul2123 » Wed Aug 20, 2008 4:08 pm

Ye i know what you mean i heard a few stories. I went down to ptc in waterford for the assement day for an intergrated course it seemed good but way overpriced so i just decided to go modular to start with anyway. Best of luck hope it works out.

EiMPB
Verified User
Verified User

Post by EiMPB » Wed Aug 20, 2008 4:27 pm

Hey Lads,

I'm not in a position to talk about PTC so I'll say nothing about them, but I am in the middle of my training with the NFC. There are a few reasons I'm doing it there, location... cost etc. but I actually love going out there as well as just flying there! Theres a great air around the place and everyones really nice.

I'm training with them for over a year now and I've had my ups and downs with the weather ( It is ireland after all!!) planes going tech... All the same things you'll get no matter where you go!

I found that once you become established with them as a student and they know you're serious then all of a sudden its not that hard to get a booking, and if you're doing a pre test or if you have your flight test whatever you need its there for you! The only criticism I have is theres no coffee in house anymore since they moved over and you gotta buy the muck upstairs!!

I've spent years looking into all sorts of different places and planning it different ways! Just get up do a trial flight with them, and best of all don't ring, drop out and they'll fill you with as much info as your head can take!

Well thats my take on it anyway! I'm sure there are others that will disagree!

cheers,

MPB

jalastair
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by jalastair » Wed Aug 20, 2008 4:33 pm

Thanks EiMPB i appreciate that, every bit of info i will take, i had also done the thing down in PTC and felt the same as Paul. i have done an intro with them and liked what i saw so far.

Zyox
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Zyox » Wed Aug 20, 2008 5:49 pm

I'll agree with EiMPB.

I'm doing my conversion from CPL MEIR with them and liking it a lot. Got switched around instructor-wise a bit at first but like EiMPB said, once they see you are serious and you are keen on putting the work in, things get going nicely. I got a set instructor I stick with so it's easier to track progress, book in advance for most days, and apart from the weather I really have no complaints.

Great bunch of instructors, very professional staff, great to deal with and finally absolutely no sense of "cowboy-itis" I've encountered in two flight schools so far. They get you up to a very good standard and let you go for tests when they are happy, none of this get him the minimum hours and get him out the door stuff. This I have a lot of time for.

As for the coffee situation, yeah, it's overpriced muck. I suggest taking a trip through Leixlip, hang a left up the hill to Cellbridge, then stop at the Insomnia beside Spar :p Well worth the trip for a proper coffee! :) Pilot fuel, aaaah! :lol:
::: Image :::

jalastair
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by jalastair » Wed Aug 20, 2008 9:35 pm

things look good at this place, i appreciate all the comments :lol:
Tell you what im suprised with all the negative comments for PTC i was nearly going to go try there but im glad i didnt now, its opened my eyes to the better places out there.

ei6265
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by ei6265 » Thu Aug 21, 2008 3:30 am

As far as I know the PTC course is Modular, not Integrated (not that it makes much difference).

jalastair
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by jalastair » Thu Aug 21, 2008 9:05 am

Your dead right it is, i had been thinking of going down that way at the time, but glad i didnt make a hasty decision. Having a mortgage does not make it easy to come up with the cash for this career type!!! :(

the red barron
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by the red barron » Thu Aug 21, 2008 11:25 am

Im also doing my training with the nfc at the minute..its great they have a real interest in people who want to become airline pilots and once they see your working hard they really put the effort in for you. Instruction is great and they have there past instructors who fly with the the airlines coming back to teach on their days off.No paying upfront which is a decent way to do business and as the boss says would you pay for 10 pints upfront! Prices havent changed even with the increase in fuel prices..

eiwtflyer
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by eiwtflyer » Sat Aug 23, 2008 9:48 am

hi jalastair

i have to agree with all the comments so far. i just finished my ppl with nfc and i have no complaints about them. like what was said before once the instructors see you are serious about flying you will have no problem getting slots. also you dont pay any money up front which is great because i couldnt afford to!

i was at the residents information meeting the other night in weston and i saw capt o'connor and capt ray conway (chief pilot RYR) talking. rumour has it they were talking about employment opportunities for nfc students so il be definitely doing the rest of my flying there when i do my atpls next year.

any other qustions, just ask away.

eiwtflyer

jalastair
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by jalastair » Mon Aug 25, 2008 2:12 pm

Thanks for that eiwtflyer, that is very interesting to know about those two captains there,
I have been hearing good thing about NFC and the more i hear the better,
Did you have any difficulties getting your Licence, as in did you find any particular bits very hard ( something i might need to keep an eye for?)

Zyox
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Zyox » Mon Aug 25, 2008 2:22 pm

jalastair wrote:Did you have any difficulties getting your Licence, as in did you find any particular bits very hard ( something i might need to keep an eye for?)

The weather! :wink:
::: Image :::

jalastair
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by jalastair » Mon Aug 25, 2008 2:45 pm

Ha well i figured as much with that one, lol. :lol: