FAA Medical Exam

This is a forum where student pilots can post their questions for more experienced pilots and instructors to answer

Moderator: mark

karl2oo8
Unverified User
Unverified User

FAA Medical Exam

Post by karl2oo8 » Mon Jul 14, 2008 10:17 am

Hello for my first post!

I am wondering where would one obtain the medical exam?
And how much is one likely to pay for the exam?
I plan to begin a ppl soon so I do not want to learn of any undesired surprises after I obtained the ppl.

Papa8
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Papa8 » Mon Jul 14, 2008 1:43 pm

Class 2 Medicals cost €150 I think now. I got mine at a reduced rate as I happened to belong to a club that just happened to also have its own AME. For a list of AMES see here

http://www.iaa.ie/index.jsp?p=144&n=207

You don't say what your age is but the AME I went to explained he would re-endorse my current 2-yearly medical for no cost if the law was changed to a four-yearly medical although it is unlikely that I will see this happen in the next year and a half anyway. You don't need the medical until you apply for your SPL in order to go solo and if you plan to take your time doing your PPL (i.e. 1-2 flights a month) then from a cost-efficiency point of view you could afford to wait until solo time is nearing. It does all take a while however: Arrange an appointment, get your blood test back from the hospital etc, (maybe two/three-weeks in total) apply for your SPL (a couple of weeks here too!). There is now an English proficiency endorsement which will require you to sit some kind of English test in the near future at least once.

If it is Class 1 then you only have one option (unless you figure on training from a CAA point of view in which case go to the UK) the Aeromedical Centre at the Mater. Cost €700/800??? Is that what you meant by undesired surprises after PPL?

There are only a couple of things that prevent you medically from being a pilot for a Class two medical: things like colour blindness, epilepsy come to mind. Class 1 is stricter/more thorough
It only takes two things to fly:--- airspeed and money.

Nidata
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Nidata » Mon Jul 14, 2008 2:49 pm

There are only a couple of things that prevent you medically from being a pilot for a Class two medical: things like colour blindness, epilepsy come to mind. Class 1 is stricter/more thorough

You can be Colour blind and hold a valid PPL just restricted to VFR

michael747
Verified User
Verified User

Post by michael747 » Mon Jul 14, 2008 4:15 pm

Nidata wrote:You can be Colour blind and hold a valid PPL just restricted to VFR

Not in this country you cant. I was onto the IAA about this and they said no....
Regards,
M747
:D

Nidata
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Nidata » Mon Jul 14, 2008 4:32 pm

Wanna bet ?
Let's look at what the regulators say.

JAR FCL 3.345

(b) An applicant shall have normal perception
of colours or be colour safe. [At the initial
examination applicants have to pass the Ishihara
test.] Applicants who fail Ishihara’s test [ ][shall]
be assessed as colour safe if they pass extensive
testing with methods acceptable to the AMS
(anomaloscopy or colour lanterns) (see paragraph 2
Appendix 14 to Subpart C). [At revalidation or
renewal colour vision needs only to be tested on
clinical grounds.]
(c) An applicant who fails the acceptable
colour perception tests is to be considered colour
unsafe and shall be assessed as unfit.
(d) A colour unsafe applicant may be
assessed [ ] as fit to fly by day only.

[Amdt.3, 01.06.03; Amdt.5, 01.12.06]

Bearing the above in mind...........
I suggest that you call them again.

michael747
Verified User
Verified User

Post by michael747 » Mon Jul 14, 2008 5:17 pm

No thanks - no bets :lol:

I just rang them at 16:10 before i posted my reply.

I was very interested cause if you must know, I have a friend who lost his PPL as he had colour blindness (or night blindness) about 2 years ago.

There is every posibility that the woman i was chatting to may have been wrong :roll:

If your right and i'm wrong, There'll be good news for my friend tonight :D
Regards,
M747
:D

Nidata
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Nidata » Mon Jul 14, 2008 6:05 pm

I know who you talked to (not personally thank God) the rules are there in black and white :oops: for her and us to abide by.
I cannot see ( :oops: ) why your friend would loose his PPL status, colour blindness would not have prevented him getting it in the first place, so a simple VFR restriction can allow him keep the Licence.
However there's a difference between Colour Blindness and Night Blindness. Night blindness can be progressive, whereas Colour Blindness is something you are born with and does not deteriorate.

karl2oo8
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by karl2oo8 » Mon Jul 14, 2008 6:41 pm

What is the difference between class two and class one?

Nidata
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Nidata » Mon Jul 14, 2008 7:52 pm

There are srtricter requirements for Class One....
But the main difference is
Class One is for Commercial Pilots (CPLs ATPLs)
Class Two covers recreational Pilots (PPLs, SPLs)

karl2oo8
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by karl2oo8 » Mon Jul 14, 2008 8:39 pm

What is actually tested in either case?
My dream was always directed towards the airlines or an airforce. So the right way to go would of course be to obtain a class one before I go about the ppl in Florida and then to obtain the class 2, to see whether or not I would be eligable to proceed for the CPL right?

ryr448l
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by ryr448l » Mon Jul 14, 2008 9:52 pm

Sorry to hijack slightly but I think I was robbed last week for my jaa class 2, forked 220euro :? :? :? .

Papa8
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Papa8 » Mon Jul 14, 2008 9:58 pm

Actually,

I am only realising that the whole medical question originally posted was directed at FAA medical exam not IAA. Should read post titles shouldn't I ?! My earlier post is based on IAA costs etc. Why are you interested in the FAA medical. If you are going over to the states to learn to fly the medical requirements differ according to the licence. They have Class 1,2 and 3 (lsa license). It is possible probably to get an FAA medical renewed in Ireland or the UK but not sure if the initial can be done here.

karl2oo8
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by karl2oo8 » Mon Jul 14, 2008 10:24 pm

Sorry I am a little confused..
Is it a requirement to obtain an FAA medical examination if acquiring the ppl in the United States? Or would it possible to undergo the IAA med exam, passing it and qualifying for ppl in the states without doing the FAA med?

Papa8
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Papa8 » Mon Jul 14, 2008 10:49 pm

Just noted that someone has posted before about a person who does the FAA medical exam in Ballymena if that is of any use. I suspect the medical element depends on whether your PPL in the States plans to be JAA or FAA. But I am not aware of FAA medicals and JAA license validation in the same breath or vice versa if you get what I mean.