Advice Needed

This is a forum where student pilots can post their questions for more experienced pilots and instructors to answer

Moderator: mark

eitleoir
Unverified User
Unverified User

Advice Needed

Post by eitleoir »

I have approx five hours flying done with Sky Trace, i intend to continue lessons in near future but would like to know if all flying schools charge approx 30-40 euro per hour for briefing and debriefing. I feel that we are not told the true cost of flying.

airoshane
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by airoshane »

I never heard of that before. Surely a brief/debrief should be included in the hourly cost.
Atlantic in Cork don't charge that fee. They even give you free 1 on 1 groundschool if your flight is cancelled due to bad weather.

buzz
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by buzz »

The brief, debrief is part of your training. The Instructor makes his her living from flying and that includes ground school. Do you expect them to provide their services for free?

If I go to a professional for a service. I expect to pay for it. Instructors are not paid a salary. They are paid by the hour. If the weather is bad they don't get paid.

They even give you free 1 on 1 groundschool if your flight is cancelled due to bad weather.

I'm not sure what the procedure with Atlantic is. But I hope the Instructor providing the briefing is being paid by someone.

I have often had a one to one with an Instructor on some aspect of flying. I always offer to pay. Quite often they just wave it away. But I always make an attempt to pay.

There are no Instructors who get rich from flying, most barely scrape by. Don't begrudge them their living.

EiMPB
Verified User
Verified User

Post by EiMPB »

Have to say I'm with Buzz on that one!

They gotta make their money and most of them won't actually charge you for most of it! But fair is fair.... if you do an hour in a class with them expect to pay for it!

KeithT
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by KeithT »

Buzz is totally right! I mean you went to school and had to pay for that :D

eitleoir
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by eitleoir »

I dont have an issue with instructors being paid for their time but why do flying schools not give the true facts instead of saying that flying lessons cost 200 euro per hour they infact cost more like240 euro per hour. It is misleading for young flying students who think that they can get their PPL for appror 12000 euro when in fact it can cost more like 15000 euro.

airoshane
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by airoshane »

The instructors in atlantic are paid a salary so they are always there to help. I agree that if somebody teaches groundschool they need to get some cash as they have bills to pay too!

35 green
Unverified User
Unverified User

a few euro

Post by 35 green »

if your worried about a few grand i thing you should stop lessons now.

eitleoir
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by eitleoir »

I think you are missing the point 35 green. I am just familiar with two flying schools in Weston and what their charges are. They dont specify that there are extra charges for briefs and debriefs. I believe it should be factored in when quoting prices. Some flying schools may have them in the charges they quote. Lucky for you if you have a few grand to spare,but for most students taking flying lessons a few grand does make a difference.

KeithT
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by KeithT »

Any school I have been at or spoken to have been quite honest about the way briefs and debriefs are charged.
You pay by the hour for briefing, so if you use more or less than that time alotted you should be charged accordingly.

KeithT
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by KeithT »

eitleoir wrote:Lucky for you if you have a few grand to spare,but for most students taking flying lessons a few grand does make a difference.

What if the student requires an extra ten hours training in order to get to PPL standard? He'll need a few grand then!
:roll: