keeping an eye on weather

This is a forum where student pilots can post their questions for more experienced pilots and instructors to answer

Moderator: mark

35 green
Unverified User
Unverified User

keeping an eye on weather

Post by 35 green »

just wondering what site is the best for keeping an eye on weather in ireland. met eireann??
thanks
go

Zyox
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Zyox »

::: Image :::

Glenn
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Glenn »

Yea the site above is good. You will need the irish airport designators though, which are as follows:

EIDW ----- DUBLIN
EINN ----- SHANNON
EIKN ----- KNOCK
EICK ----- CORK
EGAA ----- BELFAST INTERNATIONAL (ALDERGROVE)
EGAC ----- BELFAST CITY

Enjoy :D

willo
Verified User
Verified User

Post by willo »

Hi 35 green,
Suppose it depends on what you are actually after. If its TAFS & METARS, www.avbrief.com is well worth it, as is the UK Met's aviaiton service.

If its forecasting, www.met.ie is okay and the Met Eireann report after the news is usually ok. This can often lead however, to the expectation that some day will be good, plans made, and then some bloody Atlantic depression arrives! This Saturday is a prime example, on Wednesday, it was going to be a great day, now its going to be a washout

Finally, July's FII mag will have a list of telephone ATIS & aerodrome weather listings that are known (i.e. the list is incomplete and will be added to in August!) for Ireland

Cheers

Willo

nosedive
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by nosedive »

I find http://www.activitae.com/ really useful for obtaining TAFs and METARs on my mobile. Log on to the site here and follow instructions to obtain links to save on your mobile.
Once you have the ICAO identifier you can get info for most airports (larger ones incl Knock etc) and it's a few lines of text so doesn't cost a fortune in data downloads.
Another broken undercarriage........

angela
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by angela »

nosedive wrote:I find http://www.activitae.com/ really useful for obtaining TAFs and METARs on my mobile.

Thanks! But may I recommend that users link directly to yaws.mobi. If you have a very old phone then by all means look at the parent site of activitae.com for advice and phone links. YAWS (Yet Another Weather Service) is a low bandwidth service and works well from your desktop too. It is free and I intend it to remain so. There really is no need to pay a 'flying tax' to avknickers or anyone else!

While I'm in advertising mode - MOD please excuse the following - activitae can also provide NOTAM and rainfall radar plus other useful data like visibility maps to your mobile or to your desktop! I run activitae as a retirement 'hobby', neither it, nor I are a company, nor do I have any commercial affiliations.

Interestingly this month EICK (Cork) leads the list of weather searches on YAWS with 282 searches ( I suspect RyanAir are cost cutting ;) - of course I jest! ), with RODN second with 242 searches so far. RODN is Kadena (American) Air Force Base in Okinawa, Japan!

If your phone doesn't browse too well I really recommend OperaMini. It is just superb at speeding up the browsing process on a low spec. mobile.

Since this is a student part of this Forum let me also point you to an automatically calculating plog. I think all learning pilots have trouble with the whizz wheel and are sometimes uncertain of its output - well I was! The plog at http://activitae.com/plog/preflightplog.htm allows you to check your wheel's output easily - and the printed page will likely please your instructor! The plog has been around for five years now and is well tested.

Finally, a new kind of weather search has been added to YAWS this last week. If you only know the name of a town and want the nearest airport weather - you can search on the town name only and get a list of airports with TAF and METAR - within 60 nm. I would be interested in user feedback on this one!

Happy flying!

Angela Slaney

buzz
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by buzz »

That is a very useful service. particularly if you are out on an airfield, which is literally that. A field! Now you can even access radar images and analysis charts on your mobile.

Well done Angela.

nosedive
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by nosedive »

Wow!! I hadn't appreciated just how much activitae had to offer. I've been using it for TAF & METAR data for a year or two now but have recently upgrade to a PDA type phone with a good web browser, the site is a wealth of information with notams and weather info.

As buzz said, well done Angela. ....and it's FREE!

nosedive
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by nosedive »

Another handy tool for those of you with smart phones - aviation calculator

www.myE6B.com

bean_ian
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by bean_ian »

nosedive, looks great and dead handy! only seems to work for the iPhone though :cry:
No joy on opera mini or IE
X'Air 582(5)

angela
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by angela »

here's an E6B calculator that does work from your desktop http://www.csgnetwork.com/e6bcalc.html, though probably not from your phone.

Although using your phone for getting what is 'static data' - nothing changes in a calculator does it - is an expensive way of doing calculations. There is java software available if you want your phone to have E6B capabilities; just do a google for 'E6B mobile'. And remember your whizz wheel is your friend! It does all these calculations for free! Sometimes the old ways are the best.

Angela

tally1
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by tally1 »

Another vote for yaws on the mobile-really excellent idea and well done too so thanks angela. Have been using it for a few years after seeing it recommended on one of the other forums.

buggyB
Verified User
Verified User

Post by buggyB »

The Met Eireann website is ok but it is a little limited in the info you can get relevant to aviation. However their mobile site is very usefull. Go to mobile.met.ie (no need for the www). Here you can get current and forcast weather summaries as well as various charts for today and forcast charts for tomorrow. These include rainfall radar, temperature, pressure and satellite imagery for cloud coverage.