To Fly or not to Fly

This is a forum where student pilots can post their questions for more experienced pilots and instructors to answer

Moderator: mark

eitleoir
Unverified User
Unverified User

To Fly or not to Fly

Post by eitleoir »

Thanks buzz, I was there in the eightes and i was one of those who had to emigrate. You now have an idea of my age and the reason i posted this message is that i wanted to hear what people think of all the talk in the media about the arline business. Also if i continue taking lessons and progress to CPL i would not have a lot of years to fly commercial. Just wondering were the likes of PTC and other flying schools making up stories when they say that there are going to be pilot shortages in the next twenty years.

buzz
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by buzz »

Why the new thread? Is it a glitch?

Anyway, well you know what I'm talking about. As for pilot shortages. Well there is always a pilot shortage. A shortage of available high time type rated pilots airline pilots. I don't think there ever was a shortage of low time pilots. However there is always a demand, however small, for pilots. Even in the eighties, Aer Lingus actually took on lowish time pilots, even PPLs and trained them. That was because they effed up on their cadet recruitment at the time. I missed that one by a whisker. :cry:

Flying schools need to drum up business so the promote the idea of the mythical pilot shortage. There will be one if people are put off from starting training.

I say go for it. If that is really what you want. It's just a job at the end of the day. It's the same as any career. You get the qualifications and get a job. It may not be the job you want immediately but eventually if you persist you do get the one you want. I think a lot of people, (I'm not saying you are like this), only think in terms of flying shiny jets for big airlines. Like an actor only wanting to be a Hollywood movie star. But there are plenty of other flying jobs where you gain experience and move on. That''s where I am now.

There is a perception, I think, with many younger wannabee pilots that there is only one career progression. Go to flying school and then get a job with an airline, become a Captain a few years later and everything is rosy. So they turn up their nose at the prospect of instructing or some other job involving anything other than a class D aircraft. A lot of them end up sitting at home with the parents while their contemporaries are out having fun and gaining experience and networking AND getting the jobs.

So the airline business is not the be all and end all of everthing.

Besides, I don't believe the gloom merchants. This is temporary and a largely a contrived downturn. It will bounce back.

eitleoir
Unverified User
Unverified User

To Fly or not to Fly

Post by eitleoir »

That indeed was a glitch. Sounds like good advice. Iam not really interested in big airlines as i have other commitments and would be perfectly happy instructing if all went well or flying with likes of Aer Arann.