To Fly or not to Fly

This is a forum where student pilots can post their questions for more experienced pilots and instructors to answer

Moderator: mark

eitleoir
Unverified User
Unverified User

To Fly or not to Fly

Post by eitleoir »

Due to downturn in the economy and also the amount of planes being grounded due to rising fuel costs, I am wondering if it is wise to be investing in flying lessons.

nosedive
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by nosedive »

.....are you going to life your life or are you going to count your money?
Another broken undercarriage........

ifty
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by ifty »

why not? I have just started (got a mighty 8hrs now) they way I am looking at it it means that planes will be cheaper to buy!!!!!

buzz
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by buzz »

Yes don't bother learning to fly. That way when things pick up again there will be a pilot shortage and the money will go up for me. :evil:

Joking aside, it's up to you. By the time you qualify the economy will have picked up again. Pilots always find jobs if they want them.

Besides this isn't a recession. You should have lived in the eighties. Now that was a recession. :D Don't let all the gloomy forecasts put you off. Economies run in cycles. Up and then down etc.

buzz
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by buzz »

Oh and ifty, aeroplanes never get cheaper. Never, some actually increase in value with age! :shock:

alphaLaura
Verified User
Verified User

Post by alphaLaura »

If we all thought like that, we'd be a very depressed bunch of people.

Solution: Microlights!
The hardest thing about flying is knowing when to say no.
I OWN THE SUN

jonkil
Verified User
Verified User

Post by jonkil »

alphaLaura wrote:Solution: Microlights!

Now your talking girl !
It will be a long time before a 912 or Jabiru powered microlight will burn the same $ per hour in the future than it costs for a lycoming powered beast now.

We will all be dead for a very long time, enjoy life, it will all be over too quickly.

Yahweh
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Yahweh »

buzz,

This isn't a recession, Yet. Wait a year or two :twisted:

Flyer1
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Flyer1 »

Fly fly fly I say ! Flying lessons aren't an investment, they're a way of stripping you of your hard earned cash in return for a great big smile and another bit to throw into your bag of experience.

buzz
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by buzz »

buzz, This isn't a recession, Yet. Wait a year or two

Not even close to a recession. I don't know how old you are but anyone who remembers the eighties and nineties in Ireland know what a recession is. High taxes, low wages, mass unemployment and most of your family either working in England or illegally in the US. If you had a job here, any job you were lucky. Universities would graduate classes and they would all be gone abroad by September. The rich paid no taxes and the low paid youngsters like myself paid 57% tax on their overtime.

A recession will be here when all the foreigners have gone back home and we Irish will be glad to do the cleaning, shop, building, fast food jobs if we could get them.

Becoming a pilot was tough partly because no bank would lend money for the training. You had to lie. Which I did. I remember having one pair of shoes and only bought clothes once a year with Dunnes vouchers received as a Xmas bonus. Because I spent the rest of my salary on flying. That was true right into the nineties.

LOL I sound like an old soldier talking about the war. 'Young people nowdays are soft, not like us in eighties' :P :P :D

Having to cut back on the number of holidays you took this year or not changing your car for a couple of more years or not moving to a bigger house is NOT a recession.