Good Plan/Bad Paln???
  • Suas
    Unverified User
    Unverified User

Good Plan/Bad Paln???

by Suas » Mon May 26, 2008 5:39 pm

Would appreciate some comments on the following plan for a fast modular course. Are prices/budgets and time scale practical. What is the likelyhood of a good chance with an airline (Cityjet, Aer Arann, Flybe etc etc) at the end of this plan.

PPL and night rating at Orlando Flight Training 4 weeks €10,000
    120 Hours Buliding in US 6 weeks €12,000
    Full time ground school at PTC Waterford €10,000 incl accom 6 months
    14 ATPL exams, €1500
    Headsets, Stationary etc €5000
    Fast Track CPL/Mulit/IR at PTC 6 weeks €25,000
    MCC €5000

Comes to about €70,000
    and 11months, is this practical/possible/sensible??

Would greately appreciate ALL your views especially from those of you in the middle of training or recently finished. Trying to make a final decision is the hard bit.
    Regards
  • dhblewis
    Unverified User
    Unverified User

by dhblewis » Mon May 26, 2008 5:46 pm

HI,

I was going to go to OFT for my ppl and was emailing them. PPL now takes 10-12 weeks.(Well it did in April.)
  • KeithT
    Unverified User
    Unverified User

by KeithT » Mon May 26, 2008 7:05 pm

Add at least 30% to your budget for starters, to both the cost and timeframe.

Anyone who thinks that CPL and MEIR can be done anywhere, let alone IRELAND in 6 weeks is mad. Even if it were possible you'd wanna be pretty damn good to be able to cope!

Suas, I really think you need to do some more research, you will realise that what some of the schools tell you can be very differnet from the actual :wink:
    Last edited by KeithT on Thu May 29, 2008 10:10 am, edited 2 times in total.
    viz
    Unverified User
    Unverified User

by viz » Mon May 26, 2008 8:18 pm

What would be a Realistic time frame to complete cpl multi IR in Ireland?
  • Suas
    Unverified User
    Unverified User

by Suas » Mon May 26, 2008 10:41 pm

KeithT
    Thanks for that, why the advice to steer clear of PTC, have you flown with them. Also, they advertise a 6 week Cpl me/ir, is this way out and if so by how much. In fact the girl at ptc told me the atpl ground school could be done for about 7K. I'll chat to her again. How did you go about it all
  • caesar
    Unverified User
    Unverified User

training

by caesar » Tue May 27, 2008 1:56 pm

you will not complete the CPL/MEIR in 6 weeks.(thats for sure)!!!!
    (speaking with experience)it took me 3 months.(not with ptc but still flying fulltime)
    also as i said in another post stay well clear of ptc. e.g i new a ptc student who was walking passed one of there aircraft and asked a quick question and was charged for groundschool.Thats what you are dealing with down in ptc.ptc are so big that students are just units, you cant bond with any head instructors or owners,it is handy if you can.(help with job interviews after training etc)

it cost me €55,000-60,000 for all my training (zero -hero!!!!) including accommadation for exams etc.
  • FLYbyWIT
    Unverified User
    Unverified User

by FLYbyWIT » Tue May 27, 2008 2:31 pm

Dont hold yourself so tight to exact weeks, for example you may finish your ppl and be ready for groundschool only to find next course starts in another 5 weeks so then what.... Do plan a buffet into your time frame.

Say 8 > 10 weeks for PPL and some hours...
    Tie in so that the groundschool start date is acheievable.
    6 months ground school and a month or so for a possible resit or so.
    Possibley a lil more hours during your groundschool or better just after prior to starting again on the CPL/MEIR just to get you back in the swing of things.
    CPL/MEIR approx 3>4 months in this climate so relax and absorb the training.
    A few months extra will not mind on the grander scale of things and rather you dont rush through training.
    Then enjoy your MCC, you deserve it now.

For where to go,,,,, States is ideal for ppl and some hour building
    Groundschool and CPL/MEIR courses are best done in UK with good selection of schools, if you want ireland out of the three i would steer clear of 2 out of the three and go to cork.

70grand is fine but if you need to pay for Type rating your short so perphaps a year instructing and part timer somewhere else or work out in dub slinging bags and earn some cash to take a dent outta type course .

There are plenty of choices in UK for ground and commercial cources so I would suggest go there.. If your not starting till after Sept i think there is a flyer show in dublin where you can go meet all the schools and chat alternatively get researching and go visit them in UK.

Enjoy the time as although its tough it will be the most memorable time in your career, has been for me anyways.

As for your chances with ANY airline not just the 3 you named your in as good a chance as any but dont sit and wait get earning immediately so you can fund further flying wheter a FI course or type course or even networking hence a good idea to work airport.

Everyone has an opinion so there you have it, find yours !
    Good luck
    Landing is a controlled collision with a planet.
  • KeithT
    Unverified User
    Unverified User

by KeithT » Tue May 27, 2008 2:54 pm

Caeser is absolutely on the ball here.

Even if it were possible to get it all done in around 6 weeks I wouldn't do it. Thats way too quick to do almost 80 hours for a CPL and MEIR, let alone just a CPL :!:
    I spoke with a Commercial Pilot last week and he echoed or rather reiterated to me the importance of not rushing training, taking time to reflect between flights and learn from your mistakes etc. His main point was that it's what you learn now, and HOW you learn it and the respect you give that learning experience is what will determine whether you spend your career in the air or on the ground.

Suas just for the record by the time I will have finished my training I will have spent a fair bit less than the offerings of some fancy shmancy schools and will be just as, if not more employable. I won't be as up to my eyes in debt and I'll be able to buy myself a nice house sooner rather than later :lol:
  • caesar
    Unverified User
    Unverified User

training

by caesar » Tue May 27, 2008 3:36 pm

keithT is correct about taking your time during the training.
    in my interview for ryanair they asked alot of questions about the aircraft i flew during my training (tech questions etc) and about basic principle of flight. it fustrates me when people say go to the states and get the training done in a few weeks.you need to understand as much as possible about flying.its not just a case of getting a piece of paper which states CPL (as good a feeling as it).

i'm studying for the 738 type rating at the moment and you would'nt believe how helpfull it is to have a good knowledge of basic flying and aircraft.(every aircraft has wings,pitot tubes,static vents,ailerons,flaps etc) e.g if you understand how the ils is being recieved and displayed on a ceesna its more or less the same on an A380 (with a few minor tweaks glass cockpit etc)
  • Suas
    Unverified User
    Unverified User

by Suas » Tue May 27, 2008 6:19 pm

If I do an FAA PPL in the states with hours build, lets say up to about 160, do i need to do conversions in europe before i start the atpl course and cpl/meir in lets say Cork :?:
  • HomerJay
    Unverified User
    Unverified User

by HomerJay » Tue Jun 03, 2008 4:10 pm

Hi Suas,

If your happy enough to do the ppl and hour building in the states why not just stay there and get the rest done? PTC prices are just absurd and Ive heard the support you get through the exams is minimal (from a friend that did the course).

Ive 6 atpl exams left with Bristol and then Im off to OBA which will cost me a fraction of 70k.

I agree with Caesar about taking your time but if you do 150 hours its not just going to take a couple of weeks and you will learn as much as you would in the same plane in Ireland. Be sensible with money as well as time.
  • Niall
    Unverified User
    Unverified User

by Niall » Sun Jun 08, 2008 9:46 am

One more thing - before you start training, MAKE SURE you have your Class 1 medical.
  • Skull
    Unverified User
    Unverified User

by Skull » Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:00 pm

No way in hell youre gonna get even the cpl on its own done in 6 weeks in ptc, never mind the mep and ir on top of it. Will take more like 3-4 months.