Atlantic Flight Centre Cork

This is a forum where student pilots can post their questions for more experienced pilots and instructors to answer

Moderator: mark

Suas
Unverified User
Unverified User

Atlantic Flight Centre Cork

Post by Suas » Sun May 25, 2008 9:47 pm

Hi All
Thinking of starting to train towards ATPL Frozen etc and thinking of doing the flying in Atlantic in Cork, would appreciate any of your comments and suggestios, was planning to fly there and do ATPL in waterford, any comments etc, how long do you think this would take if i stuck to it full time
thanks in advance

alphaLaura
Verified User
Verified User

Post by alphaLaura » Mon May 26, 2008 10:45 am

I did my PPL there and found them fantastic - it's a great school. Almost like a club at times. I spoke to a few doing the ATPL with them and they all had no problem in recommending the place.
I'm not sure about the timescale for the ATPL. I do believe PTC are a bit dearer than Atlantic though. If I had to choose between flying in Cork or Waterford, I'd pick Cork (even though I've flown quite a bit down in EIWF).

Have you visited both schools? You're more than likely to meet people who have gone through the courses and can tell you first hand what it's like.
The hardest thing about flying is knowing when to say no.
I OWN THE SUN

Bleriot
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Bleriot » Mon May 26, 2008 11:30 am

Hi Suas

Although I have no problem with either Atlantic or PTC I would suggest you go down to PTC and look at the set up. They are geared up to getting you through with the flying and exams. Then compare the two organisations, based on service, quality, and lastly cost. One may look more expensive, but if you look at the overall training programme, the most expensive may work out cheaper in the long run. Do a thorough check out of them first, and then lay out your plan, not their ideas, but what you think is a realistic plan, and cost it out.

With regard to PTC they have a well amitained fleet of aircraft with on-site maintainence which is a bonus when it comes to your tech-type exams as the engineers are happy to help you with questions

The other thing to consider is the continuity of flying, as in Cork there are numerous occassions when ATC limit training flights, whereas in Waterford you have very little interuption, this is costly during training. Landing fees at Cork and Waterford are fairly similar.

Weather is another major consideration as people have found out. Cork being 500 AMSL is frequently unsuitable for flight training due to low cloud and fog. Waterford being lower have a better weather pattern.
Take your time before deciding

Salu dude
Bleriot

caesar
Unverified User
Unverified User

atpl

Post by caesar » Mon May 26, 2008 5:49 pm

I would recommend atlantic any day over PTC.
- cork has a radar service .EIWF does not.I have been in EIWF many times and an aer arann might be 20 mins away and they will hold you at tramore very fustrating.cork also has ILS on 17/35 and a VOR app on 25/07.
-also I dont agree with bleriot on the cost of training. Atlantic is cheaper by a big margin.

KeithT
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by KeithT » Mon May 26, 2008 7:15 pm

Have to agree about Atlantic, although I have not flown with them I did pay them a couple of visits over the past while and they have a really great setup down there.
Great aircraft, the last day I was down all the Cessna's were in the air, the Twin was working and the Grob was running too so there's no issues with the aircraft.
The guys were open and honest with regards to costs and timeframes too which is always a pleasant thing to hear from a flightschool.
Last edited by KeithT on Thu May 29, 2008 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

caesar
Unverified User
Unverified User

atpl

Post by caesar » Tue May 27, 2008 11:36 am

you can now do the ATPL ground exams with atlantic

piperpa38
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by piperpa38 » Tue Jun 03, 2008 10:30 pm

Atlantic all the way just finished my CPL/Multi/IR with them Excellent school. Good aircraft and excellent instructors will do what ever they can to get you through.

KeithT
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by KeithT » Tue Jun 03, 2008 10:51 pm

Piperpa38 how long did it take you to get it all done?

Thanks8)

HomerJay
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by HomerJay » Mon Nov 10, 2008 8:48 pm

Is anyone at Atlantic at the moment or been there previously?

I am looking to do the CPL and MEIR there fulltime and was just wondering how long it might take?

Any advice on Atlantic much appreciated.

Flyer1
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Flyer1 » Mon Nov 10, 2008 10:00 pm

Atlantic are far ahead of the competition thats available in this country. Aswell as providing excellent training they'll make you feel part of the gang there, rather then just a number like other flight schools can do.

I'm planning to do my ATPL theory, ME(IR), CPL, and instructor rating with them.

KeithT
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by KeithT » Mon Nov 10, 2008 10:03 pm

Does anyone know if they plan to get a second twin? The one twin is the only thing putting me off training with them.

airoshane
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by airoshane » Tue Nov 11, 2008 3:23 pm

Atlantic only have the 1 twin EI-CMT. Its a PA34-200T. Both engines have been replaced recently and it is an extermely reliable plane.
Atlantic lease in another aircraft (G-EMER) when CMT is down for maintenance. The is always good availibility on it and there is a sim arriving in the next few months.

ADDICT
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by ADDICT » Thu Apr 02, 2009 12:44 am

any more info people?any word on the sim?how many students doing the MEIR?

ADDICT
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by ADDICT » Wed Apr 08, 2009 10:02 am

KeithT wrote:Does anyone know if they plan to get a second twin? The one twin is the only thing putting me off training with them.

snap