National Flight Centre

This is a forum where student pilots can post their questions for more experienced pilots and instructors to answer

Moderator: mark

dara
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by dara »

Time to complete the CPL/ME/IR in Ireland??? Anyone got an idea?

I did mine from Oct - Feb, take out xmas, 2 weeks holidays and 4 weeks waiting for checkrides.

I did my PPL and hours building in Florida and I must admit I found flying in Ireland much more fun (not to mention much more challenging)

Does anyone know what NFC are doing with the seaplane they have?
Has anyone here done their seaplane training?

Anyone want to team up for the citation? I think I have a fiver here somewhere to put towards it......

D.
If you are asking me if this old plane is safe to fly, how do you think it got to be this old?

buzz
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by buzz »

I imagine we could easily afford to buy the Citation. But I doubt it we could afford to start the engines. :) Operating cost are the real killer for aeroplanes. Even a 10k 150 would cost a few quid to run.

As for the seaplane, the 206, G-SEAI I think you mean. I believe that belongs to Ossie Kilkenny. But the NFC manages it for him. A bit like the Citation, you own it but they manage it and rent it out to others when you're not using it. Which would help defray some costs. A good idea really.

Cessna 172 EI-CFP is a floatplane too. At least is has the fittings and the floats available even if they aren't fitted now. So if you really want a floatplane? That'll be 84k please?

mr crow
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by mr crow »

Last edited by mr crow on Sun Jan 10, 2010 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Zyox
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Zyox »

Hi guys, just wanna drag this thread up and ask if there are any current NFC students or even any that have done a CPL MEIR conversion.
I'll have finished my ATPLs next month >finally< and it's a toss up between PTC or NFC for the flying.

PTC have the advantage that their twins are near identical to what I did my multi-IR in in Canada, but a lot of disadvantages.

Only thing turning me off NFC right now is that they fly this Beechcraft and it'll be a few extra hours to get to grips with that I think, but truth be told I know very little about the flight school.

Anyone got a time to complete the 15-25 hours incl the 3 flight tests?
How do they work the weekly schedule?
Many students flying there at the moment?

I sent them a mail but want to throw this out there cos there seems to be a fair few here quite familiar with the place :)
Thanks people!
::: Image :::

buzz
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by buzz »

Don't worry about the Duchess. It's well named, a lady to fly, contra rotating props and lacking any real vices. Beside by the time you actually get to fly it, you should be well briefed on it.

Now I haven't done the conversion there. But I suggest you turn up and have a chat with with the sim Instructor or telephone. Email is not the way to go. He is quite frank so you won't having any illusions. There is usually someone doing a conversion so you can chat to them and ask how it's going. The weather is the biggest hold up usually when it comes to the flying. Surprise, surprise.

I'm not sure of the exact configuration of the conversion but I do know that usually the CPL flight test is done on the C172RG, being a complex aircraft and the Multi/IR on the Duchess. This saves you a few quid.

Time wise depends on your ability. You won't be allowed out of the sim until you're ready. Some people think it's just a numbers game, do the hours, do the test. It doesn't work like that. You won't even see the Duchess unless you have it nailed in the sim. Really that depends on you and the quality of your training in Canada. The NFC don't like people failing tests. It makes them look bad. No FTO needs that.

I have no info on PTC, except they are being hammered over on PPRuNe right now. I imagine you've seen that thread. Some less than flattering comments from an ex student.

THe NFC has is critics too and it's faults. So eyes open!

Zyox
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Zyox »

Yeah I'm gonna try call out next week and check it out, just would like to speak to some current/past students and get some examples of these faults :)

Saw the thread on PTC which contained most of the stuff that I was trying to ignore. But several emails to them asking about moving on with the conversion to which they have not replied to is making me get fed up with them very fast. Backed up with the experience of doing the ATPLs with them and seeing/hearing how things are run down there.

I really like the sound of doing my CPL in a 172 as most of my time before this is split between the 152 and 172, minor I know, but nice to have.

buzz
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by buzz »

Just to caution you it's a 172RG G-BHVC, as in a retractable with a wobbly prop. A Cutlass. Thus qualifying as a complex aircraft for JAA purposes. But basically a 172.

http://images3.jetphotos.net/img/1/5/9/ ... 304295.jpg

Zyox
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Zyox »

Gear I can handle but wobbly prop? o_0

stovepipe
Verified User
Verified User

Post by stovepipe »

Hi there
Don't be worrying about the constant-speed prop.It just takes getting used to and remembering a few details of it's operation.It's not that big a deal at all.Don't do all your CPL training on the RG as they will charge you more for it's use and you do not need anything other than a good old bog-standard 172 for the CPL flight test.Less to go wrong, less to worry about.
regards
Stovepipe

mr crow
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by mr crow »

Last edited by mr crow on Sun Jan 10, 2010 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ADDICT
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by ADDICT »

ya i thought it had to be done on complex too... :!:

stovepipe
Verified User
Verified User

Post by stovepipe »

Hi there
I did mine on a bog standard 172 but that was in 2001.All you had to have at the time was differences training in a complex aircraft(typically a PA-28R).It wasn't compulsory to fly a CPL flight test in a complex or even train for the CPL test in one.Unless it specifically says it in the EASA rule book, then there's no need.Most schools, of any use, have a complex single and will often try to force you to use one for the IR, but a standard C172 will do,especially as they always charge a lot more for the complex, which can eat into the budget.
regards
Stovepipe

JarJar
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by JarJar »

Hi Stovepipe,
My CPL back in God's time was in a 172 as well but Single engine CPL Flight tests must be in a "complex" aircraft these days. New(ish) rules.
JJ