National Flight Centre

This is a forum where student pilots can post their questions for more experienced pilots and instructors to answer

Moderator: mark

mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

National Flight Centre

Post by mark »

Hi guys,

When it comes to Irish flying schools most people are always complaining about the poor facilities. Well I think NFC should be congratulated for their new setup in Weston which includes new briefing rooms, student/instructor computer terminals, CBT training, Ground school class room and simulator room. In addition to this, and more importantly for most students, the price has remained the same.

I'll try get some photos to post, but i'm sure if you ask one of the instructors they would be happy to show you around.

Regards,
Mark

EiMPB
Verified User
Verified User

Post by EiMPB »

Couldn't ageree more Mark!

Its an excellent setup out there now! All they're missing is their own coffee supply or to get them to change that muck they serve upstairs and we'll be laughing!!!

Cheers,

MPB

the red barron
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by the red barron »

I agree with mark and mpm, the facilities are fantastic.I have completed my PPL and am half way through my ATPLs no money upfront pay as you go..cant get better than that! and total amount is half price than anywhere else USA or otherwise.

KeithT
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by KeithT »

Is anyone doing their CPL to MEIR with them now?

buzz
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by buzz »

I don't know about that but they seem to get a lot of people converting their foreign CPL/MEIR's into JAA licences.

It is a nursery for future Ryanair pilots too. There is a constant supply to Ryanair and quite of few of the recruitment and training pilots in Ryanair are ex NFC. That's not even mentioning the Aer Arann clique and the Cityjet gang. There's even an ex Ryanair Captain instructing there now not to mention the ex Aer Lingus Captain.

Most of their instructors move on to Ryanair/Aer Arann/ Cityjet within a year or so. If I was starting again that's way I would go. Definite career progression.

Last I heard from someone who was training there is that it will become more like PTC in Waterford while still keeping the PPL training side. Newer aeroplanes in the pipeline too.

I must drop in for a visit soon.

HomerJay
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by HomerJay »

Fair play, it was much needed.

and total amount is half price than anywhere else USA or otherwise.

Don't want to turn this thread into a US discussion but this is a ridiculous statement, almost laughable to suggest NFC is cheaper than flying in the states or that it works out cheaper in the end.

I could go on about figures and what I have spent at both but its not even worth comparing.

mr crow
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by mr crow »

Last edited by mr crow on Sun Jan 10, 2010 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mr crow
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by mr crow »

Last edited by mr crow on Sun Jan 10, 2010 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kevlar
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Kevlar »

What position do you hold in NFC now Mark :?:
Regards, Kevlar

mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by mark »

Hi Kevlar,

Kevlar wrote:What position do you hold in NFC now Mark

I haven't worked for NFC since April 2007, although I've been back twice briefly to teach PPL ground school since then. Have you seen the new facilities, what do you think of them?

Regards,
Mark

the red barron
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by the red barron »

almost laughable to suggest NFC is cheaper than flying in the states or that it works out cheaper in the end.

Not so sure..Ive Completed the PPL in ball park fig 10-11.000 Euro And my old Flight Instructor done everything from start to finish in 46.000 Euro and now she's flying in Ryanair. Ormond Beach in the states quote 44.000 Euro + flights etc

stovepipe
Verified User
Verified User

Post by stovepipe »

Hi there
So your old instructor did every thing for E46 K? Bully for her.That was before she gave Michael O Leary E30K for a 737 TR and then worked for free for six months (ask her what she lived on!How did she fund her six-month free internship?) and paid for her unifrom, medicals,etc(and a pension-free six months,too).I'd say double your E46K for the true cost.
I've yet to meet a flight school that sits down with a student and tells them what it will really cost to get into the right seat.
NFC doing the place up? About time.Considering it's had more temporary accomodation than a tinker, it's about time they laid down bricks and mortar.
regards
Stovepipe

HomerJay
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by HomerJay »

Ive Completed the PPL in ball park fig 10-11.000 Euro

Mine cost 4,5k in OBA. Of course your instructor might tell you I'm a crap pilot compared to someone trained in Ireland :lol:

I think I got in 0.6Hr there a while ago when I was trying to keep my PPL current and it set me back about 150 euro when the landing fees and instructor fees were added. Went to San Diego and it was 64 euro for a FULL hour, no landing fees to be seen anywhere.

You can argue flights to the US are expensive but it only comes to a couple hours in a C150 in NFC in fairness.

Anyway, Il try get over it one day and go and have a look at the new facilities.[/quote]

buzz
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by buzz »

Yes, Stovepipe that's why she sometimes comes back to do a bit at the NFC. Ryanair really do take the proverbials don't they? But often it's the only game in town and don't they know it. I noticed an ad in the Evening Herald this week from Futura for Dublin based 737 pilots. Guess where they'll be poached from?

NFC didn't just do the place up. They actually built brand new onto the back of the fire station. The problem is that they still use the old hangars up the other end. You should see the action last thing at night at they all taxy back to the hangars. It's like the Battle of Britain lite. :D Looks great from the restaurant.

Mine cost 4,5k in OBA. Of course your instructor might tell you I'm a crap pilot compared to someone trained in Ireland
You're probably not crap but that isn't just a story Irish instructors tell to make themselves feel superior. Some foreign trained pilots, have essentially been ripped off. Quite simply they would not pass an Irish or JAA flight test. Partcularly at CPL level. Not neccessarily American trained pilots either. Even basics like straight and level and trimming.

You should hear what they say about some of the instructors that come looking for work. :shock:

the red barron
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by the red barron »

That was before she gave Michael O Leary E30K for a 737 TR and then worked for free for six months

I dont see your point everyone who wants to fly with ryanair has to pay that..Its Places like NFC that get you there for under ?50 compared to ?80 in PTC thats a difference of a type rating..thats the way I look at it