CPL Hour Requirement

This is a forum where student pilots can post their questions for more experienced pilots and instructors to answer

Moderator: mark

fadgest
Unverified User
Unverified User

CPL Hour Requirement

Post by fadgest »

Hi there.

I am currently hour building before I start my CPL and after speaking with a certain Irish training provider I am slightly confused about the amount of hours I need before I start my CPL. I understood that the requirement to start your CPL in Ireland is 100 PIC and 150 hours total (at least that is the case in the UK). However, I have been told that I should have 170 hours total time and that I can only do my CPL flight test once I have 200 hours total time. Can someone please clarify this for me? Many thanks

OnTheNumbers
Verified User
Verified User

Post by OnTheNumbers »

Hiya,

I'm looking at JAR-FCL 1 and the hours requirement depends on the the course - that is, whether it's modular or integrated.

"An applicant for a CPL(A) who has satisfactorily followed and completed an integrated flying training course shall have completed as a pilot of aeroplanes... at least 150 hours of flight time."

"An applicant for a CPL(A) who is not a graduate from an integrated flying training course shall have completed as a pilot on aeroplanes ... at least 200 hours of flight time"

"Flight time.
The applicant shall have completed in aeroplanes during the integrated
course 150 hours of flight time ... and the modular course 200
hours of flight time including at least: "

"100 hours as pilot-in-command, or 70 hours as pilot-in-command if completed during a course of integrated flying training"

"20 hours of VFR cross-country flight time as pilot-in-command, including a
cross-country flight totalling at least 540 km (300 NM) in the course of which full-stop landings at two aerodromes different from the aerodromes of departure shall be made"

"10 hours of instrument instruction time, of which not more than 5 hours is to be instrument ground time"

" 5 hours of night flight time, as set out in JAR?FCL 1.165(b). requirements set out in JAR?FCL 1 (Aeroplane) Subpart J. "

The thing to remember that these are the requirements for the award of the CPL (integrated). II would think that the training provider would expect you to have the PIC time done yourself before doing the course.

I know this is slightly convoluted but I hope it helps

David
OnTheNumbers
-------------------------------------------------------
http://www.clearofcloud.ie
@clearofcloud on Twitter, Instagram

Mike C
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Mike C »

Hi fadgest,

From my own experience, if doing a CPL in south eastern Ireland you will need 175 hours total time to start a modular course. The IAA will not accept a CPL application unless the 200 hour mark is passed.

Your best bet is to contact the IAA to verify all this.

Mike

Mike C
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Mike C »

Hi fadgest,

From my own experience, if doing a CPL in south eastern Ireland you will need 175 hours total time to start a modular course. The IAA will not accept a CPL application unless the 200 hour mark is passed.

Your best bet is to contact the IAA to verify all this.

Mike

fadgest
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by fadgest »

thanks guys for your help. I've emailed the IAA but have not got any reply yet. Ill try and phone then and see what they say.

michael747
Verified User
Verified User

Post by michael747 »

It's definatly 150 hours needed to start the CPL,
But must have a minimum of 200 hours before sitting CPL flight test.
Which gives you 50 hours to train for your CPL (at least).
Thats the end of this chapter :D
Regards,
M747
:D

fadgest
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by fadgest »

Cheers Micky D....that saves me having to get up in the the middle of the night to call the IAA from California!

Mike C
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Mike C »

Hi fadgest,

If the certain training provider here in Ireland is PTC, then you will need 175 hours to start their modular 25 hour CPL course.

Be very certain of the above as I got caught for the 20 odd hour difference when I tried to start on my CPL course last September. It took an extra 2 weeks to build up the required hours due wx and a/c availability.

If PTC are't the training provider, follow what 747 said. Why is there a difference? - I dont know.

Mike

JFH
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by JFH »

k
Last edited by JFH on Fri Mar 08, 2013 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fadgest
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by fadgest »

Hey guys,
I thought I had this figured out but now there seems to be two different opinions on this thread. michael747, says that you must have 200 hours before you can go for your skills test. JFH says that you can do the skills test before 200 hours but can only apply for it once you have 200 hours. The latter is how I have always understood it to be and is certainly the case for the CAA. I plan to do my CPL followed by the ME/IR and apply for all at the end of my IR. PTC were indeed the school that told me i needed 175 hours total time prior to starting. Could it be that this 175 hour requirement is just a PTC thing? In any event I have decided not to go there.

Mike C
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Mike C »

Hi ya

Dont want to knock anyone on here. What I described above was what I had to go through as a modular student in PTC. I changed from a UK PPL to Irish MEP/CPL.

747, I believe also holds a CPL (at least) and can describe his training better. Your best bet in all these situations, to dispel rumour and such is to get the definative answer from the Authority in the state you will be doing your CPL. The last thing you want is to leave the states with too few flying hours and delay your subsequent training.

Also note that if you elect to do the MEP/CPL you will be required to do the 25hr CPL cse and 6hr MEP cse for a total of 31 hours.

Best of luck with it, the struggle is worth it in the end.

Mike

fadgest
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by fadgest »

this is straight from the horses mouth. I rang the IAA today. They told me that i must have 200 hours to carry out the skills test.

michael747
Verified User
Verified User

Post by michael747 »

Mike C wrote:747, I believe also holds a CPL (at least) and can describe his training better.

Mike C,

Just for clarification, I dont actually have the CPL myself, Just studying for the ATPL's which isn't going great to be honest due to other comitments i have also :( :(

And as soon as i saw this thread i took the liberty to ring the IAA for fadgest, as i had a few mins on my break in work, the phone call was not at my cost :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

So the 200hr requirement is the minimum before applying for the CPL isn't it. This was also news to me as i've to hour build a little more before starting the CPL, And all ATPL's to complete :x

Many Regards,
747 :lol: 8)
Regards,
M747
:D

JFH
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by JFH »

J
Last edited by JFH on Fri Mar 08, 2013 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

shanecolgan
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by shanecolgan »

JFH wrote:I called PTC and they only offer the JAA CPL ME course as 25 hours SE followed by 6 hours MEP training.
I can only guess the reason for this :lol: more hours for PTC means more mula in their wallet!!!!

Hmmmm.....not defending anyone here, but I'm doing CPL at PTC and I'm doing 10 hours SE and the rest ME, so is everyone else on the CPL program.

:?: