OBA Florida

This is a forum where student pilots can post their questions for more experienced pilots and instructors to answer

Moderator: mark

mike romeo
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by mike romeo » Fri Feb 08, 2008 12:01 am

Sad to see MH is the worse for wear, I logged about 2 hours in her in June 06, a few more in 37K. Godzilla was a mighty little plane tho...testement to the brilliance of the 150/152. On another note sad to hear about Darren - RIP. I never flew with the guy but remember him there...just goes to show u never know in this game....

dhblewis
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by dhblewis » Sat Feb 09, 2008 10:17 pm

Is there any update to the liberty situation over at OBA?

streacy
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by streacy » Sun Feb 10, 2008 2:52 am

No nothing's changed... no sign of them coming back in a hurry. The speculation suggests some problem has been found with pitch sensitivity though there certainly hasn't been any official explanation...

dhblewis
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by dhblewis » Tue Feb 12, 2008 4:00 pm

Looks like the liberty's are gone for the forseeable future. There no longer a choice when Booking a course nor are they listed under aircraft.. Seems OBA is trying to remove all 'liberty' releated information from their website...

Lambada Crazy
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Lambada Crazy » Tue Feb 12, 2008 5:42 pm

To All the OBAI ?Supporters? and the few ?Knockers?,

On 31 January 2008, the following memo was distributed to all OBAI Staff and Students:

?To: All OBAI Staff and Customers

Fm: Adrian Thompson

Date: 31 January 2008

Subject: Suspension of OBAI Liberty XL2 Aircraft Operations

OBIA have a number of concerns with the continued operation of the Liberty XL2 aircraft.

Therefore, all OBAI Liberty XL2 aircraft are withdrawn from service with immediate effect.

OBIA will continue flight operations utilizing our Cessna and Piper aircraft fleet.

We will keep you informed with events relating to the Liberty XL2 as they become available.?

On the date above the status of the OBAI primary training aircraft was as follows:

N520XL LXL2 Not in Service Accident in go-around 07/06 ? Total Loss
N523XL LXL2 In Service
N529XL LXL2 In Service
N534XL LXL2 In Service
N536XL LXL2 Not in Service Accident during landing 01/08
N541XL LXL2 In Service
N550XL LXL2 Not in Service Accident in go-around 08/07 ? Total Loss
N553XL LXL2 Not in Service Accident during landing 11/07 - Repairable
N564XL LXL2 In Service
N567XL LXL2 Not in Service Structural failure of Nose Gear Leg - Repairable
N568XL LXL2 In Service
N569XL LXL2 In Service
N570XL LXL2 In Service
N215SA PA28-161 In Service
N44930 PA28-161 In Service

Therefore, on 31 January 2008 OBAI had 10 primary training aircraft that were serviceable at OBAI.

On 1 February 2008, the following primary training aircraft were in service at OBAI:

N704DF C150 In Service
N704GZ C150 In Service
N704ZW C150 In Service
N9804J C150 In Service
N9090J C150 In Service
N46657 C152 In Service
N215SA PA28-161 In Service
N44930 PA28-161 In Service
N605FT PA28-161 In Service

Therefore, on 1 February 2008 OBAI had 9 primary training aircraft that were serviceable, leaving a shortfall of 1 primary training aircraft that were serviceable based on the number of primary training aircraft serviceable on 31 January 2008.

By 12 February 2008, the following primary training aircraft will be in service at OBAI:

N65436 C152 In Service
N704FE C150 In Service

Therefore, on 12 February 2008, OBAI will have 11 primary training aircraft serviceable, an addition of 1 primary training aircraft that are serviceable based on the number of primary training aircraft serviceable on 31 January 2008.

In the next 14 days, OBAI will add, at least, a further 2 primary training aircraft (C150) into service, thereby having an addition of 3 primary training aircraft in service based on those in service on 31 January 2008.

OBAI believe, based on the concerns we have, that we acted responsibly in withdrawing from service our fleet of Liberty XL2 aircraft, although this statement alone will no doubt attract much speculation and comment from some of the individuals that post on this forum.

Those few who choose ?criticize? or ?knock? OBAI for the ?grounding? of the Liberty XL2 should bare in mind that we have committed an investment +/- $1.6m in our Liberty fleet. Clearly, we did not take this action for our financial benefit but for reasons that at this time we are unable to place in the public domain.

OBAI believe that with the passage of time, the reason for our action will enter the public domain and therefore the reason for our action will become abundantly clear and justified.

In the meantime, all customers of OBAI, current and future, should understand that OBAI have and will always use their best efforts to provide a safe and secure environment for them to execute their training and flying regardless of the financial impact this may have on OBAI.

OBAI acknowledge that there are some minor and short-term difficulties in the provision of primary training aircraft that may result in a small number of current customers not completing their flying in the time they have available. Any persons in this situation will receive a solution that is sympathetic to the circumstances and will be offered a reasonable and mutually acceptable resolution.

However, as the above tables demonstrates, such occurrences will be very short term and minimal as the OBAI primary training aircraft fleet will shortly exceed that which was available prior to the grounding of the Liberty XL2 fleet on 31 January 2008.

All students who commence courses post 26 February 2008 and in all practicality prior to that date, can rest assured that more than sufficient primary training aircraft will be available to meet their needs to complete training and flying on time and on budget as OBAI have consistently provided since 1991 at our JAA Approved FTO at Ormond Beach Airport, Florida.

Adrian Thompson
President and Head of Training
Ormond Beach Aviation, Inc.
When a flight is proceeding incredibly well, something was forgotten.

streacy
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by streacy » Wed Feb 13, 2008 6:32 pm

Nuts, the day I leave he announces more aircraft! I think 704FE was the one that had been parked up out front. I'm not entirely convinced by the maths given that some of the Cessnas were being used prior to the 1st Feb (by people who didn't want to fly liberty's) and I'm near certain CPL students were also flying 605FT before then. That's the Cadet... lovely little plane probably the nicest in the fleet.
Anyways there'll be more planes in service at least which seeing as I'll be returning in a few months to finish off is good news to me...

N714GZ
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by N714GZ » Wed Feb 13, 2008 7:30 pm

Fair play Adrian for making a statement.

Obviously theres more to come when the lawyers have done their jobs.

FE was the only 150 in the fleet with strobes..my favourite for night flights..felt like a real plane switching on the strobes crossing the hold on line up.

Lambada Crazy
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Lambada Crazy » Thu Feb 14, 2008 9:22 am

Streacy, did the students really "receive a solution that is sympathetic to the circumstances and offered a reasonable and mutually acceptable resolution" :) :) :)

LC
When a flight is proceeding incredibly well, something was forgotten.

streacy
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by streacy » Thu Feb 14, 2008 5:33 pm

...assuming it's possible to figure out what that line means exactly! I don't know what anyone else received... I know I was given 4 extra hours (on top of the 18 pre-solo hours as standard) to learn to land the Cessna which took the pressure off a bit. As far as completing goes I was given (slightly) more than the 90 days to come back....
To be honest the weather had more of a role in my not finishing than the plane situation though that was a factor towards the end. I think I only got about 12 hours done in the first fortnight when there were plenty of liberties and no competition for instructors... as I'm sure you found out yourself sunny florida doesn't always mean you can fly!

ryr448l
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by ryr448l » Mon Feb 25, 2008 11:59 am

Just to let people know the ppl price on OBA's website seems to have gone up from 6,240 to 6,849 euro. Just thought it might be worth noteing. :roll: