OBA Florida

This is a forum where student pilots can post their questions for more experienced pilots and instructors to answer

Moderator: mark

JFH
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by JFH » Sat Jan 12, 2008 9:58 pm

h
Last edited by JFH on Fri Mar 08, 2013 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lambada Crazy
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Lambada Crazy » Sat Jan 12, 2008 11:09 pm

Unfortunatly, you have to get your fingerprints done whilst over there, and your FAA medical, unless you go to a specific doctor in dublin who does FAA medicals. on both cases they are a day away from flying.

I would say that 24 days is tight, and really you should allow 28, maybe try sit some exams in eniskillen before you head over???
When a flight is proceeding incredibly well, something was forgotten.

dhblewis
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by dhblewis » Sat Jan 12, 2008 11:22 pm

oK.

well i'm heding over for a holiday a month before I go for training so will do fingerprints and medical then. Will try and fit in some exams aswell!!

ei6265
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by ei6265 » Sun Jan 13, 2008 4:00 pm

Also guys, by getting a PPL in the US, returning to Ireland are schools reluctant to hiring out planes to US PPLs? I know NFC you need to do some familiarisation training with them, but how many hours are required?

Anyone with any personal experience of that? I will be doing a few lessons with NFC before the summer but with the weather I dont think Id have the patience to do the PPL in Ireland. :(

dhblewis
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by dhblewis » Sun Jan 13, 2008 4:42 pm

You will be getting a CAA issued JAR-PPL(a). (I.E A Uk liscence.)

And to the best of my knowledge it can be transferred to an IAA issued one for a small fee????

Also, NFC's planes are quite old.. skytraces are good. According to nfc I was tod I needed at least 100 hours to rent from them!!

Lambada Crazy
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Lambada Crazy » Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:08 pm

well your getting a UK JAR-PPL(A) which can be used in any JAR member state flying JAR aircraft. Theres no need to transfer it to the IAA, Why bother??

and NFC require 25 hours dual before a sign off, but if you have hours previous with them it can be different. Best to join the likes of the flying clubs at dublin airport, much cheaper.

What dates are ye going?

HomerJay
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by HomerJay » Mon Jan 14, 2008 3:02 pm

JFH wrote:It took me 23 days to do it at OBA.
When I was there a girl got it done in 17!!!!!!
If OBA "KNOW" that you are there for 4 weeks insted of 3, well in that case I noticed the people who had longer over there werent put flying as much!!!!!! I would have got it done in less than 21 days only for they knew i was in florida for 28 days so they were laxy dazy when it came to booking slots for me......
Also, id like to clarify something.OBA do Include EVERYTHING in there price except tickets to florida, travel insurance and money for substance..$300 should do ya

I got it done in 19 days and this was after being told by Phil that I was 'officially behind schedule' half way through

Lambada Crazy
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Lambada Crazy » Mon Jan 14, 2008 4:48 pm

that guy talks?

mike romeo
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by mike romeo » Mon Jan 14, 2008 5:18 pm

Which one was Phil?

HomerJay
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by HomerJay » Mon Jan 14, 2008 6:20 pm

Lambada Crazy wrote:that guy talks?

Not very much. Only other time was when he told me I was lucky to pass Nav. He was right though!

He was the one behind the desk with black hair and moustache, as far as I remember.

Lambada Crazy
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Lambada Crazy » Mon Jan 14, 2008 7:10 pm

always wore the UPS shirt, I think he does the airport pickup full time now, and hes not on the desk anymore.
Not a talkative guy! when he dropped me to daytona, everything i talked about was yes or no, didnt say anything else.

bean_ian
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by bean_ian » Tue Jan 15, 2008 1:40 pm

I got the PPL in FEB 07 in OBA and came back and got checked out with the dublin flyers. I got checked out in 7 hours including learning to fly a pa28-140(all i flew was c150/152's up to that point), familiarisation with the local area and operating out of EIDW

dhblewis
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by dhblewis » Mon Jan 21, 2008 7:36 pm

how long in advance should I book oba??

thanks!

Lambada Crazy
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Lambada Crazy » Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:29 pm

start now, getting your visa organised, make sure you follow the instructions EXACTLY. they seem confusing but actually are quiet simple.

shrtfld
Verified User
Verified User

Post by shrtfld » Tue Jan 22, 2008 10:38 pm

While this thread is about cost of OBA, it did touch on cost of trans Atlantic flights.

I am going to Orlando in early June on holidays. Had hoped to go SNN - MCO on Aer Lingus. Apart from the unsocial hours for check in at SNN the cost was ?1150 per ticket. I investigated BA and have come up with a much cheaper option going CRK-LHR / LGW -MCO. Cost is ?650.

Down side is the surface transfer from LHR to LGW. Because I am going from Cork (since Aer Lingus abandoned SNN), I am stuck with an overnight in London outbound. Flights booked on BA web as a through ticket from Cork to MCO return.

An option to be considerd. Besides in my humble opinion, BA are a much better trans- Atlantic carrier.
Shrtfld