Carlow IT

This is a forum where student pilots can post their questions for more experienced pilots and instructors to answer

Moderator: mark

airbus
Unverified User
Unverified User

Carlow IT

Post by airbus » Wed Jan 02, 2008 10:20 pm

Has anybody any info on Carlow IT. :shock: :shock: :?

mr crow
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by mr crow » Thu Jan 03, 2008 1:47 am

I think it's some kind of College In Waterford?

michael747
Verified User
Verified User

Post by michael747 » Thu Jan 03, 2008 12:42 pm

If your talking about the Avionics course, have a look at this link...

http://www.flyinginireland.com/forum/vi ... t=avionics

And it's in Carlow, not waterford!
Regards,
M747
:D

nosedive
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by nosedive » Thu Jan 03, 2008 1:51 pm

Yep, I've got loads of information on Carlow I.T......................
Another broken undercarriage........

ei6265
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by ei6265 » Thu Jan 03, 2008 3:05 pm

JFH
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by JFH » Thu Jan 03, 2008 11:55 pm

j
Last edited by JFH on Fri Mar 08, 2013 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

michael747
Verified User
Verified User

Post by michael747 » Fri Jan 04, 2008 1:35 pm

Scraggs it is :D Then the Tower??? :D
Regards,
M747

JFH
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by JFH » Fri Jan 04, 2008 6:15 pm

s
Last edited by JFH on Fri Mar 08, 2013 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nanolight
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Nanolight » Sat Jan 05, 2008 12:37 am

mr crow wrote:I think it's some kind of College In Waterford?

This made me laugh heartily!

But yeah airbus, you need to be more specific. If you have a course or even a broad area (eg engineering) in mind, ring them and they'll send you out a prospectus.

Or join the informatiojn age and check out their website :P
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

airbus
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by airbus » Sat Jan 05, 2008 3:59 pm

JFH wrote:But if you are a person who wants to be a pilot but has the frame of mind that you want to go to college to have something to fall back on? then if thats the case forget about Carlow and go to Oxford and do the integrated ATPL course there becuase you will also get an Ordinary ( level 7) degree in Air Transport Managment and airline pilot training which is very good.
:lol:

WHY

michael747
Verified User
Verified User

Post by michael747 » Sat Jan 05, 2008 4:01 pm

JFH wrote:The tower is no more now :( they got rid of that place.

Seriously? Thats shocking, I'd some of the best pis*ups there while i was doing Avionics :(
Regards,
M747

Bob
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Bob » Sun Jan 06, 2008 1:54 am

If you want to be an aircraft engineering look into an apprenticeship, keep an eye out in the paper for airlines hiring as well as heavy maintenance companies like Air Atlanta Aero Engineering or SR Technics.

All successful students will,
gain a Higher Certificate in Avionics and, uniquely, be eligible to sit separate European Aviation Safety
Agency (EASA) exams to gain a Part-66 Certificate of Recognition. This certificate is recognised across
Europe and enables students to enter the aviation industry as an Aircraft Technician and start working
on various aircraft types and systems in other Aviation Maintenance Organizations throughout Europe

I took this straight form the ITCarlow school of engineering pdf file on avionics, the highlighted portion I find very misleading. Firstly, I'm not exactly sure what's meant by a Part 66 Cert of Recognition what your looking for is a Part 66 Aircraft Maintenance License or (AML) at Category B2 for Avionics or B1 for Mechanical and to get that you need to meet minimum experience which can be found in the EASA Part 66 Document which is quoted below, as well as the appropriate exams. Secondly, to be a technician, or to work on aircraft you don't need any qualification because you won't be the person who signs off the work that has been done, it's the guy with the B1 or B2 license who has even further qualifications on the pacific aircraft type, or a type rating. Point to note, even once you have your B1 or B2 you've still nothing really till you get a type rating.

2. for category B2 and subcategories B1.1 and B1.3:
(i) five years of practical maintenance experience on operating aircraft if the applicant has no previous relevant
technical training; or
(ii) three years of practical maintenance experience on operating aircraft and completion of training considered
relevant by the competent authority as a skilled worker, in a technical trade; or
(iii) two years of practical maintenance experience on operating aircraft and completion of a Part -147 approved
basic training course.

Therefore according to the above you'll need at least 2 years experience in industry after you finish a Carlow course to get a license, and companies haven't exactly opened their hearts to the Carlow lads. If you are however, lucky enough to get into a company willing to give you experience, the probability is they're not going to pay you any more than they have to for the pleasure of it i.e. they'll probably see you as cheap labour.

Haven said all this Carlow is a good old laugh and if you want to experience a bit of collage life you could probably do a lot worse also you can always go down the other routes toward honor degrees like Electronics, although, if your interested in the Aeronautical Engineering degree I've heard your better off doing Mechanical Engineering.

TolTol
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by TolTol » Sun Jan 06, 2008 6:17 pm

JFH wrote:the tower is no more now

Strange, I was only in there last night! U are talking about the tower part of Dinn Ri right?

airoshane
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by airoshane » Sun Jan 06, 2008 11:19 pm

JFH mixed up the tower with Nexus...
The tower AKA, the Foundry is still there.