what is the best way to become a pilot ??

This is a forum where student pilots can post their questions for more experienced pilots and instructors to answer

Moderator: mark

thomas.145
Unverified User
Unverified User

what is the best way to become a pilot ??

Post by thomas.145 »

hi

im only 15 but am interested in become an airline pilot

does anyone know what the best way is ?

should i join the air corps ?
or should i train in a flight school ?

also does anyone know how much flight school costs ?
and what amount of points do i need to get in the leaving cert?
thomas mcculloch

thomas.145
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by thomas.145 »

ive got 1 more question !! :D :D

are there any grants available ??
thomas mcculloch

buzz
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by buzz »

A lot of this has been covered in similar threads. Check them out. Also check out the wannabes forums on pprune.org.

The best way is to have lots of money to pay for the training.

Try the Air Corps is you like but it's tough to get in. Most people end up in one form of flight school or other.

Flight school costs from 50,000 Euro if you do it part time up to 100,000 Euro full time. By the time you leave school, you can add a few grand to those totals.

You don't need any points in the leaving cert. In fact I would say that you don't even really need a leaving cert. In fact most airlines could care less about the leaving cert. But do it anyway. You'll need it to go to college so you can get a well paid career so you can get the money to learn to fly.

No there are no grants, if only. :cry: Some flight schools will help you get a loan but that's it.

Oh and by the way, Aer Arann and Ryanair expect you to pay another 20 to 25k for their training if they accept you.

It's all good news, isn't it? :?

Nanolight
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Nanolight »

Thomas, like Buzz said ALL your questions have been asked and answered before, often by people your age and in your situation.

Try using the 'search' function up the top of the page, and just spend some time browsing through threads. You'll find what you're looking for, but it will take time (as any career research does).

If you still have questions after that I am sure someone here will be able to give you answers. As regards the Air Corps, there's a dedicated forum at the bottom of the index page, loads of help in there and again like buzz said check out pprune.org

I wish yopu all the best, whatever you end up doing.
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

StephenM
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by StephenM »

Nanolight wrote:Try using the 'search' function up the top of the page, and just spend some time browsing through threads. You'll find what you're looking for, but it will take time (as any career research does).

May be a sticky on FAQ on how to be a pilot should be put up here? It seems there is a thread a week on the topic.