When should i start

This is a forum where student pilots can post their questions for more experienced pilots and instructors to answer

Moderator: mark

airbus
Unverified User
Unverified User

When should i start

Post by airbus » Sun Nov 25, 2007 10:42 pm

Im going to get a little personal now.
I am certain an airline pilot is the life for me and i think i will go to PTC to train but i was wondering if it would stupid of me to start training at a young age like 18 or should i hold off a while. The reason im worried about this is i dont know if i would be capable yet of taking this step and if i am not what should i do to kill time. :? :?

Zyox
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Zyox » Sun Nov 25, 2007 11:39 pm

Bachelor of Arts in UCD? :P
::: Image :::

michael747
Verified User
Verified User

Post by michael747 » Mon Nov 26, 2007 12:46 am

Hey there,

I started training for my PPL at 16 and i always say, The longer your doing somethin, the wiser you'll be.
I started just after my junior cert, and finally got my PPL on summer holidays from the 1st year of college college.
I studied Avionics in Carlow IT. Did it help? Of course it did.
I'm working fulltime for just over 2 years and am currently studying for the ATPL's.
Like yourself i cant remember not wanting to be an airline pilot.

That my long story cut short, Any more q's you have, PM me.

PS: Do it all moduler, It's cheaper :D and, it will take a good bit longer :(
Regards,
M747
:D

Nanolight
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Nanolight » Mon Nov 26, 2007 10:08 am

Get a technical qualification you can fall back on airbus.
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

Flyer1
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Flyer1 » Mon Nov 26, 2007 11:35 am

You're never too young, get the PPL out of the way for a start, then if you have the money hack straight into it. Now it'll be 3 years before you can start working for an airline, but that time will fly - excuse the pun.

FLYbyWIT
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by FLYbyWIT » Mon Nov 26, 2007 12:44 pm

Isnt that 21 year old age limit just to hold the ATPL, and as such you can work for the airline you just cant act as a captain due no atpl or awaiting to unfreeze your atpl if you catch my drift, awaiting to be corrected but pretty sure its the case.

As for waiting airbus, what the hell for ? IF you have the cash just do it ya jammy dodger, loadsa people would love to be in your shoes.

Nanolight
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Nanolight » Mon Nov 26, 2007 1:14 pm

I would be inclined to go to college first in case the piloting doesn't work out (for whatever reason... jobs, money, medical etc), but that's just me. :P
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

airbus
Unverified User
Unverified User

nfc

Post by airbus » Tue Nov 27, 2007 4:28 pm

i was thinking that to get a bigger taste of training i could do my ppl in weston and if i am absolutly positive about pilot training i could go on to ptc.what do you think :)

EiMPB
Verified User
Verified User

Post by EiMPB » Tue Nov 27, 2007 5:21 pm

Hey airbus!

I think the best thing you could do is both! go to college, do something technical, then fly once or twice a month get the PPL! I'd do a course on the cert...diploma..degree route rather than just straight into a degree. that way if you end up leaving to train full time you'll at least have gotten a cert or diploma out of it!

If you're into it in a big way like most of us it'll bite you and you'll find the money somewhere!! then its just head down into the ATPL's because you'll have the ppl done already!

If I were you thats what I'd do! Oh, and don't forget the Class one!!! No amount of money can get you a licence if you can't get that!!

Hope its good advice!

MPB

airbus
Unverified User
Unverified User

thanks

Post by airbus » Tue Nov 27, 2007 7:53 pm

Thanks thats good advice and what "cert or diploma" do you think i should do are there any other than carlow. :lol: :lol:

EiMPB
Verified User
Verified User

Post by EiMPB » Tue Nov 27, 2007 10:16 pm

Check out DIT some great ones in there! Engineering would be a good plan I think!

StephenM
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by StephenM » Tue Nov 27, 2007 11:08 pm

I'm currently studying Logistics & Supply Chain Management as I see it a very direct way into the Airline industry. Then again its the operations side I want to focus on while racking up the ratings and licences on the side. :)

ciaran
Unverified User
Unverified User

when should you start

Post by ciaran » Fri Nov 30, 2007 7:35 pm

hi!!!
have u thought about doing a university course with pilot training intergrated into it, couple of these in th UK. im your age and have applyed for Air transsport with commercial pilot training,you get the best of both.....a degree and license
ciaran