Ultraflight

This is a forum where student pilots can post their questions for more experienced pilots and instructors to answer

Moderator: mark

Whiskey Section
Unverified User
Unverified User

Ultraflight

Post by Whiskey Section »

Hi. Does anybody have any experiences of learning to fly with Ultraflight? I know they use new enough aircraft. Are they well maintained? If your travelling from South Dublin how long would it take to get to Abbeyshrule say on a Saturday morning??

nosedive
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by nosedive »

Hi WhiskeySection, I've trained from scratch with Ultraflight and have no complaints. The aircraft are well maintained with a technician on the premises full-time and i've never been stopped from flying because of a plane being grounded because of 'technical difficulties'. Availibility of aircraft has never been a problem.

I found of instruction to be very good too- the guys are experienced, patient and above all, there because they want to be there.

I wouldn't be too put off with driving to Abbeyshrule I travel almost 2 hours each way (and have done since i started about 4 years ago) i have to admit that there are mornings when the weather looks marginal you wonder if it's really worth it beacause if you do travel down, realistically you should set aside the whole day. This isn't a big problem either as there's a club atmosphere and a good sense of camaraderie at Ultraflight.

It's up to you but to train on a fun, modern aircraft for almost half the cost anywhere else, with no waiting on the ground and free airspace you can't go too far wrong.

As I said, the decision is yours but I don't regret any of it. Why not just do a few hours over a few weekends and decide after that if it's still for you.

Best of luck whatever you decide.
Another broken undercarriage........

Whiskey Section
Unverified User
Unverified User

Thanks for that Nosedive much appreciated. I've done a few lessons with a school in Weston and they left me dissappointed. The attitude of the instructors wasn't great. More worrying was the tired state of their aircraft. My feelings are edging towards the Ultraflight option. I just want somekind of PPL -don't have any designs to be flying for Ryanair in couple of years time. Anybody elses thoughts on Ultraflight would be welcomed.

Nanolight
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Nanolight »

I started my training in Ultraflight because it was the only place doing microlight flying at the time, and because I have relations involved in Abbeyshrule.

Abbeyshrule is not an easy place to get to from Kilkenny (2.5 hours +), so I jacked it as soon as Irish Aero Sports opened in Kilkenny.

I got on grand there. They have fine facilities and aircraft. The instructors (from my experience) are easy going but professional and competetent.

Jack is an instructor but is also in charge of aircraft maintainance, so there's usually someone around for the planes and they are new enough machines and well kept anyway.

If I was to criticise the place, it wouldn't be due to the planes or the lads there, but abbeyshrule is a bit pricey. It was to the best of my recollection (and I am totally open to correction on this) ?250 for the club for the year (fair enough) but another ?270 towards the airfield. Thats quite steep before you even get in a plane.

Abbeyshrule is a lovely part of the country to train in though. Beautiful scenery etc. and you are never waiting at the hold for clearance.

Your other options for microlights are (realistically from Dublin) Birr and I.A.S. Kilkenny. I have no experience with Birr. Kilkenny would take you about 1.5-2 hrs depending on traffic. I am in IAS and I love the place. Dont know what others are charging but for IAS ?120 will get you 60 minutes instruction plus pre and post flight briefs as required. That's not bad value!
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

alphaLaura
Verified User
Verified User

Post by alphaLaura »

Just to pick out what Nanolight said about Irish Aero Sports - if Abbeyshrule doesn't work out for you, I could not recommend Irish Aero Sports enough. Kilkenny is a great place to learn.

If you want contact details, PM me.

Whiskey Section
Unverified User
Unverified User

Again thanks for the excellent replies. What types to they operate in Kilkenny?

Nanolight
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Nanolight »

They have a Citabria which is used to for conversion training to tailwheel (for people who already hold their PPLA) and a Samba XXL microlight to train pilots from scratch.

There website is here www.irishaerosports.com but it hasn't been updated in a little while. You could also check out "The Italian Job" in the latest edition of Flying In Ireland!

MarcinS
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by MarcinS »

Hi!
They have Samba XXL. I do my training in Kilkenny and can?t complain. Excellent location and instructor.
Last edited by MarcinS on Tue Nov 06, 2007 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nanolight
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Nanolight »

and can?t comply.

I think you mean can't complain! :)

Excellent location and instructor.

...and resident photographer! See here Whiskey: http://www.flyinginireland.com/forum/vi ... php?t=2651

MarcinS
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by MarcinS »

Thanks Nanolight!
Obviously, you are right. I have corrected my post.

alphaLaura
Verified User
Verified User

Post by alphaLaura »

Marcin - did I meet you and your girlfriend on Sunday?

MarcinS
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by MarcinS »

Laura - Yes. It was my wife and I.

alphaLaura
Verified User
Verified User

Post by alphaLaura »

Apologies - just assumed she was your girlfriend! Lovely to meet you both! Hope you had fun in the Samba :D

nevergiveup
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by nevergiveup »

I can echo nosedive's and nanolight's comments about ultraflight. I have just finished getting my PPL(m) with them and enjoyed the trip. I drive down from north Dublin but it was worth it. There was one member I know of who traveled from south Dublin. I always phoned before traveling just to check weather. Only weather ever stopped me flying never planes. Check out the web site http://www.ultraflight.ie for recent news.

Whiskey Section
Unverified User
Unverified User

Cheers for all your help.