re-thinking my courses

This is a forum where student pilots can post their questions for more experienced pilots and instructors to answer

Moderator: mark

Hawker
Unverified User
Unverified User

re-thinking my courses

Post by Hawker » Tue Oct 16, 2007 4:13 pm

I'm only 6 weeks into my course (avionics in carlow), but it's not anywhere near what I expected it to be.
Now it's probably too late in the year to get onto the admin and change over to another course in the IT, but I'm going to ask about it in an hour or two.

I might just opt out, get back a % of my registration fees, and re-apply to the CAO again next year?

I'm looking into the B.A. in Industrial Design:
(CW015) level 7
This is a 3 year course which covers the design of consumer goods and equipment.
Students who are successful in this course can progress to Carlow IT's postgraduate course in Industrial design.

I initially wanted to go into the design of aircraft, and this could open up more options.

Now, I could complete the course I'm in and get the few qualifications out of it (opening up a good few career prospects)
Higher Cert, Degree and a JAR (part-66) << -- the long route

or

try and change to this course.

Also - I'm doing my research now - but can anyone fill me in, on the aeronautical design side of things? (careers in ireland or abroad, demand for these engineers and designers, links to other helpful info)?

Thanks in advance?
When you get it right, mighty beasts float up into the sky. When you get it wrong, people die.

Hawker
Unverified User
Unverified User

Re: re-thinking my courses

Post by Hawker » Wed Oct 17, 2007 7:16 am

Hawker wrote:Also - I'm doing my research now - but can anyone fill me in, on the aeronautical design side of things? (careers in ireland or abroad, demand for these engineers and designers, links to other helpful info)?

Thanks in advance?

No one? :(
When you get it right, mighty beasts float up into the sky. When you get it wrong, people die.

hibby
Verified User
Verified User

Post by hibby » Wed Oct 17, 2007 12:20 pm

Hawker, I don't know the exact reasons that you're disappointed with the course you've chosen. I don't know anything about the Carlow avionics course, whether it's good or bad (I hope someone who knows more about it will drop in with some well-informed advice). But in general, unless you really hate it, I'd be inclined to say stick with it, get your qualifications and see where that road leads you. Dropping out after 6 weeks and starting a different course next year would seem like a really drastic step.

michael747
Verified User
Verified User

Post by michael747 » Wed Oct 17, 2007 12:45 pm

Hey,

I did the Avionics course that started in 2003.
I didn't really wanna finish it after the first month and wanted to quit, If you can get passed the Electronics (which i hated with a passion), the rest i got to like, And having flying experience when i started helped, going on to get the PPL a few months into the course.

I stuck at it and two years later i got the peice of paper that most of our class say - we can wipe our arse with...

I'm sure the course is a lot better now than back then cause it has the JAR exams approval thingy.

I have a few friends that went to (and are currently in) University of Limerick (UL) to study Aeronautical Engineering after they finished the course. They jumped into 2nd year of the course with their distinction.

I think you'd be better off finishing the Avionics course and if you really wanna get stuck into the design part of things, go on and do the Degree in UL.

My friends in UL are currently in their last year at the moment, And now they're just glad they've the Avionics course done aswell, as it'll be a lot off theiir shoulders as they have Avionics in the last year.
You'll get a lot of gen in the CW course that you wont get in UL the lads say.

Dec (one of my friends in UL) doesn't even wanna go into the Aviation industry when he's finished the degree, but he's fairly confident he'll get a job in construction where he wants to go.

Another friend Dutch Roll went on to Shannon Aerospace to do the apprenticeship after the course, Who has all his JAR's done at the moment, dont ya dutch??

Others completely left the industry and became Gardai, CNC Operators, Technical Advisors etc. etc., and i got a job in Intel as a Manufacturing/Maintenance Technician when i graduated, And am pretty damn sure i would not have got this job only for the Carlow years :D

Tis good auld craic in Carlow IT, Went down a few weeks ago with JK and i'd absolutly love to go back.

I hope this helps you make the decision your gonna make,
But whatever you do-do, It'll happen for all the right reasons :D

Regards
Regards,
M747
:D