Skytrace

This is a forum where student pilots can post their questions for more experienced pilots and instructors to answer

Moderator: mark

gorila
Unverified User
Unverified User

Skytrace

Post by gorila » Sat Oct 13, 2007 1:51 pm

Any one have any experience in these guys.

Have hear two mixed reviews 1. Great aircraft and scheduling not a problem most of the time,

2. Most of the instuctors are Spansish and can be quite hard to understand.

Would be gratefull to hear any more before i decide to start my ppl with them

michael747
Verified User
Verified User

Post by michael747 » Sat Oct 13, 2007 3:44 pm

Heard that getiing slots when YOU want is quite hard...

A few spanish instructors.

2 brand new a/c though :D

If you want some advice on who to do your PPL with.

I'd reccomend Flightwise in weston.

Only disadvantage is that we've only 1 a/c at the moment but are due a 4 seater soon i hope.

Instructors in FW are excellant and scheduling is excellant as it's all online!! It's the only FTO in weston that makes sure you dont spend any more yoyo's than you need. They do genuinely care, unlike most FTO's which are just after money.... EG: S-T

Regards
Regards,
M747
:D

ciaran
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by ciaran » Mon Oct 15, 2007 9:44 pm

I had an inrto lesson with them,had a spanish instructor,nice man but hard to understand at times
1st lesson was cancelled due to weather,it took 3 months to get another one on a saturday :cry:
ciaran

conor_mc
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by conor_mc » Mon Oct 22, 2007 5:56 pm

I did my PPL a year and half ago with Skytrace - found them very good.

Jeff, the CFI, is a hard man to please and rightly so - I realised that after bricking it for my flight test only to be asked by the examiner who my instructor was because I was so well prepared.

PPL students, back then anyway, were given priority on weekends - that and the weather would explain why it took so long for you to do your intro ciaran. I was working Sun-Wed at the time, so I was booked in almost every Thursday and Friday and it still took me 9 months to do my PPL - that's the Irish weather for ya lads!

By all accounts Flightwise are pretty good too - my only problem was fitting my 6'3" frame into a Grob while still allowing full and free control movement - the Robins are the best aircraft in Weston in this respect imho, helped by having a stick rather than a yoke.

skydive_colin
Verified User
Verified User

Post by skydive_colin » Thu May 08, 2008 10:04 pm

I'm a student with SKytrace and I can honestly say they are excellent. Their fleet of Robin DR400 are excellent planes to fly (and yes I've flown other planes MS880 Rallys, C152, C172 and C206).
It is true that most of the instructors are all Spanish but I've had no problem understanding them, they are all proficient in English.
The staff are friendly.
No coffee machine (must have spent at leat 2hrs worth of flying on coffee from the resturant upstairs by now)

Only problem is if more than one plane is out of commission for maintenance then slots can be hard to come by, however most of the time not too bad, I fly weekends so I just keep booking 2 weeks in advance.

cm13
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by cm13 » Fri Jul 11, 2008 10:43 pm

Hey all, I finished my PPL with Skytrace a few months ago and found them excellant. Those new Robins are brilliant, they have Spanish instructors but their english is very good any I never had a problem understanding them their knowlegde was always 100% aswell. As said earlier their CFI,Jeff, really prepares you very well for your flight lest. While I was there everyone got their flight tests first time including me and there has been a few others since me too. The reason they are so busy is because they are so good! I would recommend them.