PPL Training

This is a forum where student pilots can post their questions for more experienced pilots and instructors to answer

Moderator: mark

Route1
Unverified User
Unverified User

PPL Training

Post by Route1 »

I'm going to take my first step towards a CPL by doing a PPL.

Where is the best place to do it, I have heard SA and America are the best.

Can anyone also give a rough quote to what it usually costs and what is the best time of year to do it.

Kind Regards,

Route 1

GoGoGadgetGoAround
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by GoGoGadgetGoAround »

Just be careful and do a lot of research, check out lasors;

http://www.caa.co.uk/application.aspx?c ... il&id=1591

A lot of info should be relevant in the licence section.

I haven't been to the states but have heard the training can be muck, my old instructor told me a couple of stories of fellas coming back and taxiing at 2000rpm in a C-150! (should be 1000rpm), not having a clue about weather conditions and just general bad habits.

A few places I've seen advertised do a PPL in 21 days, seems a bit of a short time to me to do even the ground school thoroughly let alone all your flying training.

Bear in mind that I haven't been over there and am informing you of what I've heard about but just choose carefully.
Engine Failure: A condition which occurs when all fuel tanks mysteriously become filled with air

Nanolight
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Nanolight »

Totally agree gogo... It took well over a solid week of study for me to properly revise for the tech exams, never mind learn the stuff in the first place.. as well as learning the principles of flight and the practical aspect.

I would love anyone to propose that they have gone from zero hours to being a fully safe and competent Irish PPL in 21 days. Anyone who tells you that you can do this is not telling you the truth because it is not possible. End of.

Oh sure, you might get the bit of paper that says you are a pilot, but is that what you want or do you want to be able to fly?

Why not consider a combo? Lots of people do that: Get up to maybe solo standard here then go to the US to finish it off. Florida is a popular spot but I havent been so am not in a position to give advise.
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

CaptCream
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by CaptCream »

I'd agree with the advice above. I did most of my training here in Ireland over 2 years. Went solo here but was waiting months to try and get a good day for the cross country. Didnt happen due to weather so I went to Florida on advice from my instructor and finished it over there in 2 weeks. Had a great time and since then I went back to the US earlier this year and did a 50hr hour build.