IAA Student Controller Programme open for applications today

This is a forum where student pilots can post their questions for more experienced pilots and instructors to answer

Moderator: mark

StephenM
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by StephenM »

I got my letter last Wednesday or so. Applied at 2am the day the applications opened. :lol:

oldvolvotincan
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by oldvolvotincan »

This is the first stage of the thinning out process don't go in expecting to pass .
Stay calm it will put you under pressure thats the idea. Expect it all to be computer based. There will be questions on maths and English. Also a game that will involve a moving object that will disappear you have to either predict when it will hit the wall or where it will hit the wall.

This all takes nearly two hours. If it hasn't changed you will be told immediately after the Test in private if you have passed, if you haven't you will be allowed go home and will be informed by post. Again thats only if it hasn't changed. When are the aptitude test dates.

MarBergi
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by MarBergi »

oldvolvotincan wrote:When are the aptitude test dates.

Starting the eighteenth - next Tuesday in the Gresham at ten local.

Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by 7700 »

Is there anybody out there in the know who can say how many places there are on the course? Or will there be a couple of successive courses?

Ta.

oldvolvotincan
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by oldvolvotincan »

24 and 2000 have applied

Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by 7700 »

Excellent - Think I'll head down the bookies today as well then!! Might as well have a punt at an outsider!! :lol:

junglebob
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by junglebob »

Just got my letter this morning! For next wed morning at 10, does anyone know if the IAA have any other dates that people can do if they can't make this one?

GoGoGadgetGoAround
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by GoGoGadgetGoAround »

It says on the letter that it has to be a good reason before they'll allow you to change. They have around 2000 people sitting these so I'm sure the attitude is "if one does it........."!
Engine Failure: A condition which occurs when all fuel tanks mysteriously become filled with air

junglebob
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by junglebob »

Anyone do these today?
Any ideas of what to expect?

StephenM
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by StephenM »

junglebob wrote:Anyone do these today?
Any ideas of what to expect?

Would that cout as having an unfair advantage? :P

I did them on Tuesday and took about 1hr 30. There were roughly 40 people there. They had a mix of aviation, personality, spacial awareness and English language sections. 12 tests in total.

AlanD
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by AlanD »

Best of luck Stephen. I have mine on Saturday.

I just have one question and understanding that this is a competition, I'm not expecting you to give the game away, but what aspect of aviation was tested? I don't have an aviation background, but know bits and pieces, just nothing technical. So I'm just wondering so it won't be a shock to the system. At this stage, I'll know it or I won't.

Thanks.

StephenM
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by StephenM »

Its basically you have a map with aircraft on it, they each have to get to a certain point and you have to select from a list of 4 answers about the heading and distance. The second is the best answer out of a list of 4 answers as to get traffic into an airport. Just read the instructions and follow them.

AlanD
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by AlanD »

StephenM wrote:Its basically you have a map with aircraft on it, they each have to get to a certain point and you have to select from a list of 4 answers about the heading and distance. The second is the best answer out of a list of 4 answers as to get traffic into an airport. Just read the instructions and follow them.

that's great thanks. That's stuff i can do. Was just wondering if it would be stuff that you'd need a bit of aviation knowledge to get through.

GoGoGadgetGoAround
Unverified User
Unverified User

Did mine today, bit of info that might give anyone doing them a rough idea but not give the game away!

2.5hr total time

Around 12 different exams (spatial, verbal, reaction time, numerical, short term memory, judgement, personality)

Not all are timed

The 2.5hr is an overall time limit with time limits for tests within this.

Most people finished in around 2hrs

No pens and paper just a numerical keypad

Good luck!
Engine Failure: A condition which occurs when all fuel tanks mysteriously become filled with air

GoGoGadgetGoAround
Unverified User
Unverified User

Did mine today, bit of info that might give anyone doing them a rough idea but not give the game away!

2.5hr total time

Around 12 different exams (spatial, verbal, reaction time, numerical, short term memory, judgement, personality)

Not all are timed

The 2.5hr is an overall time limit with time limits for tests within this.

Most people finished in around 2hrs

No pens and paper just a numerical keypad

Good luck!