Crash at OBA

This is a forum where student pilots can post their questions for more experienced pilots and instructors to answer

Moderator: mark

odeaj
Unverified User
Unverified User

Crash at OBA

Post by odeaj »

Lets hope the pilot makes a speedy recovery. Brings home the fact that this can be a dangerous sport at times!

http://www.wftv.com/video/13926797/index.html

Cosmic
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Cosmic »

Where do those presenters get that accent/voice from! They sound like aliens.

It's a real shame when something like that happens, a student should be having the time of their lives during flight training. A Student was killed at the school I attended shortly after I left as a result of a botched go around. It's really awful.
We who fly do so for the love of flying. We are alive in the air with this miracle that lies in our hands and beneath our feet.

— Cecil Day Lewis

mr crow
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by mr crow »

Last edited by mr crow on Sun Jan 10, 2010 11:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lambada Crazy
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Lambada Crazy »

I dont think its the 5th, it probably depends on your version of serious co-incident, while i was there i had only seen 1 accident, although 2 days after i left the above accident happened.
The liberty aircraft are a very nice aircraft to fly, OBA say that they will teach any person with a good aptitude to fly, but some people take a little longer to develop that aptitude!, and if it was easy everyone would be doing it! You will not see a training school like OBA in ireland, if there is a fault with any of the aircraft there it will be fixed in a matter of hours! yes hours not days, weeks years like in ireland!!! Is there a school in ireland with the same amount of Brand New Aircraft as OBA? OBA on average do 10 times the amount of flying that a typical school would do and therefore the ratio of accidents to flying hours will be about the same!

Ive never heard of an aircraft making a mistake,

Just my opinion!!
When a flight is proceeding incredibly well, something was forgotten.

Yahweh
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Yahweh »

"Ive never heard of an aircraft making a mistake"

Yeh, they call it mechanical failure :roll:

mr crow
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by mr crow »

Last edited by mr crow on Sun Jan 10, 2010 11:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

N714GZ
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by N714GZ »

Mr crow, it's Liberty XL , the Liberty Bell was used to announce the reading of the declaration of Independence in Philadelphia in 1776. Maybe you're referring to the Liberty Bell Mercury capsule Gus Grissom rode into space and was lost to the bottom of the Atlantic and recovered in 1999. You're dead right..after thirty years at the sea bed I wouldnt fly it either.

As for the Liberty XL...how close have you actually come to one??

Edit: through contacts I have heard info about the crash which I will not post until the NTSB report has been published.

This was only the second serious incident involving the Liberty. The first one happened on late final when the flap switch came off and the pilot forgot to fly the plane and bent down to retrieve it. Two broken legs. Painful mistake.Inexperience is a big issue in these incidents. A flap switch coming off, while undesirable is hardly a catastrophic failure.

Lambada Crazy
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Lambada Crazy »

The liberty XL2 is an extremely nice aircraft to fly. some of OBAs fleet have 2 GNS430s (mouth waters :lol: ) others only have one! lol they have mode S xponders and also have the newest technology of engines, the FADEC system, Full Authority Digital Engine Controls, which means basically an auto mixture and eliminates the use of magnetos, the engine instrument display comes through a glass screen VMX1000 i think its called and has all the bells and whistles with it, if you have a sudden change in Temps or Pressures you will soon find out!!!! take a look at their website mr.crow www.libertyaircraft.com i would really reccomend a liberty to any1,

LC

mr crow
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by mr crow »

Last edited by mr crow on Sun Jan 10, 2010 11:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ppl_student
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by ppl_student »

Speaking as someone who has flown the XL2 (and indeed N550XL that was the aircraft involved) I feel informed enough to say that whilst the aircraft is more sensative than other aircraft I have flown (152 & cherokee). Whilst I personally may not like this feature, there are others like Lambasa who have an affinity with the XL2. Looking at the info that is coming through from pprune (i know, not the most reliable source of facts) it seems that on the attempted go arround the pilot was either forgot to or unable to retract the flaps, thus increasing the stalling speed of the aircraft and the tragic result of this. On the XL2, the pilot has to physically hold the flap switch untill the flaps have been retracted and the LED shows the flaps have been retracted, not a feature I would particurally favour when compared to other aircraft. OBA do indeed run a tight ship, but if there is one thing that they can not be accused of is taking safety for granted!! The maintanence staff would go out of their way to ensure even the smallest problem is sorted ASAP!!

Best Wishes to the polit involved in the accident, lets hope that he makes a speedy recovery!!
PPL Student

mr crow
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by mr crow »

Last edited by mr crow on Sun Jan 10, 2010 11:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lambada Crazy
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Lambada Crazy »

mr crow,

Flying there is generally a lot easier, ATC are extremely helpfull and you dont have to file flight plans their airports, and its free to land there also :) :) we flew into an airport just north of ormond called flagler and theres a nice little bar/restaurant there!! as for the training, doing it all together really helps, i remember the first couple of hours my steep turns werent the best, but when i went up 3 hours later they were perfect, because you have just enough time to "chair fly" them lol, i must say though, the landings in the liberty were EXTREMELY hard. but i would really recommend that envoirment for training.

LC

odeaj
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by odeaj »

I'm heading over in November for 5 weeks (PPL completion) and intent to do some hour building on the liberty. I'm debating whether to request the C152 instead as it may be more beneficial to train without the FADEC system and finger braking etc... Any opinions?

I do like the thought however of training on a modern spacious airplane such as the libertyXL2. I'm training on the grob115 at the moment in Weston and it's also not the easiest to land. Also it requires the flaps switch to be held until retraction.

Anyway, I'm quite happy with what I'm hearing on the safety standards and professionalism at OBA.

bean_ian
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by bean_ian »

Hi odeaj,
I was over in OBA in Feb this year and they had just begun phasing out the c150/c152. Before I went over i decided to do the course on the cessna as its all well and good having the bell's and whistles but when you come back to Ireland and all you can rent are 150's & PA28's that require knowledge of carb heat,mags,mixture etc you will be lost.
When I got over there they start saying I have to do it on the libertys but I stuck to my guns and they let me do it on the cessna, which worked out well in the end because everyone wanted to fly the liberty and the availability of the cessna's was great!

Also another thing I had an issue with was when I was over there all the liberties had GPS on board and they were allowed use this on their duel & solo cross countries and skills test. They still had to plan their flight and have it signed off but once they were up there its just follow the line on the screen rather than looking out for waypoints and estimating times etc. Im sure not all liberty pilots took this approach mind you but I know a good few when I was over there did.

Cheers
Ian

Lambada Crazy
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Lambada Crazy »

i agree Bean_ian, the libertys do have a lot of equipment, but if you look on the other hand you will know how to properly use the GNS430, which are in my opinion going to be standard in each new aircraft, you will be thought how to navigate without a gps, its a little less fun but it works, as for the FADEC, theres no difference, when i went to the groundschool Mike Arman explained everything theres to know about mags, carbs etc and we spent nearly 2 hours talkin on the use of carb heat. i cant see it being a problem, if your going to hour build it would be an IDEAL aircraft!!!! there is plenty availability on the libertys as with the cessnas, the warriors are very restriced and they have just bought another one for the fleet