Doing courses seperatly at PTC

This is a forum where student pilots can post their questions for more experienced pilots and instructors to answer

Moderator: mark

JFH
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by JFH »

q
Last edited by JFH on Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ranar1mike
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by ranar1mike »

Michael, have a look at Bristol aswell, they are superb! www.bristol.gs

GoGoGadgetGoAround
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by GoGoGadgetGoAround »

Hi JFH,

If you did the Oxford course wouldn't you have to take into account flights & accomadation for the 2 x 2 week revision course and then the time you will be over there doing exams? I reckon you wouldn't end up with much of a saving compared to PTC, on the other hand NFC's costs a 'bit' more. Wonder if it's possible to buy the course directly from Oxford and sit the revision at an Irish FTO??

TolTol
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by TolTol »

Seems to me that dara does not realise the difference between an integrated course and a modular course. PTC are modular, an integrated course is more structured, and requires less hours for licenses.

Zyox
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Zyox »

GoGoGadgetGoAround wrote:Hi JFH,

If you did the Oxford course wouldn't you have to take into account flights & accomadation for the 2 x 2 week revision course and then the time you will be over there doing exams? I reckon you wouldn't end up with much of a saving compared to PTC, on the other hand NFC's costs a 'bit' more. Wonder if it's possible to buy the course directly from Oxford and sit the revision at an Irish FTO??

Well PTC don't provide any accommodation while you're doing the weeklong courses either. And it's very remote so tack on the price of cars/taxi too.
::: Image :::

GoGoGadgetGoAround
Unverified User
Unverified User

This is true. I was thinking along the lines of people who live close enough to their FTO. For myself anyway, I live in Dublin so doing a course with NFC (something in the region of ?4k!) wouldn't cost me anything more in terms of accomadation and flights. So it wouldn't work out financially for me and others living around Dublin or counties surrounding Waterford to do the Oxford course @ ?1400.

Fair enough if you don't live anywhere near these places you'll need to work out the cost yourself but I can't see massive savings being made going to the UK, unless you have a few relations you can stay with

HomerJay
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by HomerJay »

I live in Dublin also and I just signed up to Bristol GS. I spoke to someone in the middle of theses exams with PTC and he was very unhappy with the support he got. From the looks of things Bristol is on top of everything.

There are extra costs involved but its worth it. In fairness Ryanair fly there for next to nothing and b+b's range from 20-30 euro a night.

I did look at doing it with Sigmar but they told me they put their course on hold.

GoGoGadgetGoAround
Unverified User
Unverified User

Was the Sigmar one known as Pan Aviation?

Has anyone heard about the quality of NFC GS?

Working it out roughly;

?3521 for Bristol GS and 1 year Q Database access

?1000 for 40 nights accomadation @ ?25 a night

?90 return flights x 2

?4611 Total (roughly)

Around ?861 (roughly) more expensive than NFC for example.

If the training is a lot better than NFC (thinking of doing it with these) so it's worth the extra hassle and cost then it looks like a decent option.

Is it just NFC/EHA & PTC that do ATPLs over here and is it just the Oxford course?

mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by mark »

Hi GoGoGadgetGoAround ,

I did the NFC ATPL GS last year, passed all 14 subjects first time :lol:

I would recommend them, they use the Oxford Books and CDs, with the Abacus Aerosolutions online pack, which includes regular tests and you can create your own mock tests.

At the end of the day though whatever ground school package you pick remember it is distance learning and it's up to you to keep up. The school won't go chasing you to keep up, they just won't sign your application at the end. The residential part of the course is purely exam based so you need to know your stuff before you go in, of course it's an opportunity to ask questions but don't expect to learn the course in 2 weeks!

Hope this helps.
Regards,
Mark Dwyer
www.flyinginireland.com

------------------------------------------------
FlyingInIreland.com:- THE Resource for Irish Aviation Information

GoGoGadgetGoAround
Unverified User
Unverified User

Hi Mark,

Thanks for the info and well done on the first time pass, NFC would definatly be handier and your right in saying it's up to yourself, but would of course be interested if Bristol was much better. Any word on when/if Sigmar will start up it's ATPLs again?

michael747
Verified User
Verified User

Post by michael747 »

Do i need the Class 1 medical before i start studying for the ATPL's????
That suck if i do cause i'm definatly going ahead with it at the start of next
month, and thats the only thing that'll hold me back!!! (Waiting to get it done i mean!!!
Takes about 2 months doesn't it)

I just had a look at that link you gave me ranar1mike,
Looks good in the demo videos so it does, so it does :D

Another Q, If you do do the bristol one do you have to do the caa exams in england or can we still do the IAA ones?

Sorry bout all the Q's lads but just don't wanna miss a beat!

I have savings to pay for the ATPL's and do another 50hrs PIC to complete the 100hrs PIC i need to start my CPL. And the Bank APPROVED my loan application that should pay for the CPL/MEIR/SEIR/MCC. If ?40k will do it:D

Absolutly delighted, All i need now is the dedication :D :D :D :D :D :D
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
:D :D :D
:D

I'll need another blooody loan to do the type rating!!!
What is it about ?20k for a ATR72 one and ?30ish for a 738 one?????
Regards,
M747

Zyox
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Zyox »

I started the distance learning for the ATPLs in PTC last month and they required a medical before I started.

I already had a Transport Canada one and they accepted that but only on the condition that I had an appointment booked with the Mater Private to do the JAR medical and a letter/email to prove it. As it works out I got in on a cancellation in the Mater and got it done and in hand before I went down to sign up.
::: Image :::

HomerJay
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by HomerJay »

You do need a class 1 medical but I'm suprised you don't have one already since you are going to be borrowing 40k! I would go get that sorted soon as.

I don't have much experience with the exams through NFC. I went to Bristol as the brush up courses/question banks/support and most importantly all the material came highly recommended.

I believe you have to do the exams in the UK but I could be wrong.

gogogadget - Sigmar is the Pan Aviation one. They used all the Bristol stuff but had their own brush up courses etc. I rang to enquire about payment and they told me it was on hold until further notice so no timeframe given.

Oh and you forgot the 80 euro courier charge to deliver everything!!

GoGoGadgetGoAround
Unverified User
Unverified User

Knew I was missing something in my budget!! Wasn't trying to be anal or anything, was doing a few rough sums myself and that's what I came up with.

I've heard nothing different than Class 1 Medical & PPL as requirements to start ATPLs alright.

Michael747, did you get a good deal on the 40k loan? will be looking for around the same myself after I do ATPLs. Looking around online and a lot of banks give max ?25k personal, BoI would lend the ?40k unfortunatly 5 years is a short time to pay this back! Any experience on 40k loans for around 8 years without putting my parents home on the line (not that they would!)
Engine Failure: A condition which occurs when all fuel tanks mysteriously become filled with air

michael747
Verified User
Verified User

Post by michael747 »

Hey GoGoGadgetGoAround (Thats a bloody mouthfull :D ),

I actually got a loan approved for ?35k. I meant i'd have a lot of savings
by the time it need it for the CPL etc. (At least 5k savings)

I think it was the AIB that approved it (I applied to so many banks i'm not sure).
When she rang me and approved it i told her i won't need it for a while so
she said she'd cancel it and i can apply when i do need it, 99% that it will still be approved.

Tha main thing is that i can get one now so i'll definatly be able to get one
if i'm in the same situation in 6-12 monts!!! Working full time doing the ATPL's.

:D :shock: :D
Regards,
M747