PLEASE TELL ME HOW...?

This is a forum where student pilots can post their questions for more experienced pilots and instructors to answer

Moderator: mark

airbus
Unverified User
Unverified User

PLEASE TELL ME HOW...?

Post by airbus »

:?:O.K im new to this site and i have been reading everything but i just want ro claer things up. I am 16 and im going on an intro flight at weston soon and my ambition is to be an airline pilot but i need to clear up a few things.

1)My plan is to go to waterford and train (i know its expensive but so what i want to be a pilot and money wont stop me) is this a good or bad plan.

2)Also their are a few termS i would like explained
i)frozen and unfrozen atpl :?:
ii)type rating(i know what this is i just want to know what is the process of it and is it expensive etc..

SO IF THERES ANYBODY THAT CAN HELP....HELP :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :roll: :lol:

JFH
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by JFH »

q
Last edited by JFH on Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FLYbyWIT
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by FLYbyWIT »

Hello airbus

The fact that your beginning to think of it now is good, Plan how you train.
I guess your in school still and maybe awhile before you raise the cash to train therefore over the next few years visit schools talk to students and instructors and maybe your plan might differ come the time.
I am aware your 16 but why have you chosen Waterford, I dont want your answer but ask yourself that and note it down, now go investigate other schools in Ireland / UK / US and gather data and come the time you have the cash and are ready to start training if your conclusions have led you to waterford again then go for it, In short research everywhere.

Frozen Atpl is the term given to a commercial rated pilot that holds the theory exams for an airline license but does not hold the flying time requirement of 1500hrs total, this time includes various requirements also.
To hold a frozen ATPL does not exclude you from flying with airlines it just means you hold a CPL and not an ATPL, As soon as your log book reflects the specific hour requirement you get the ATPL license and therefore unfreeze your license.

Type rating as you know refers to a specific aircraft, as with many a variety each type rating differs in length but for example a standard B737/A320 type rating will (and these are only approximates as every airline and Training organisation have various differences)...
will consist of 2 or 3 weeks ground school covering Aircraft systems followed by an exam and then some exams on performance/weight and balance etc etc. Then you do anywhere from 8 to 14 ( 4 hour sessions) in the full motion simulator followed by generally 2 four hour session skills test. Next you go on the actual aircraft..empty of course and do 6 touch and go's just like you will on your soon to be cessna intro in weston.

Is it expensive ?? O boy ....It depends on who/what/when/where/why??
Expect 20000euro minimum and topping out at maybe 35/40000euro for bigger beasts.

For now, Go enjoy the cessna in weston, with the summer approaching maybe go work voluntarily out in weston if you can get it. Read magazines and books, aviaiton related of course. Also check out ...
www.pprune.org / www.flyer.co.uk and here of course.

Good luck amigo, o and dont forget considering a medial before you splash out the cash.

GODAMMIT JFH you beat me to it, I hate when that happens, I spent ages typing that :lol:

ranar1mike
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by ranar1mike »

I think my story may be able to help people about to go down the road I took back in October. At the moment I am half way through the PTC Airline Course. I did my first flying lesson in a 172 in Weston when I was 15. Passed the Class One when i was 16.

I sat my leaving cert last June (2006) and got offered Business and Computing in the first round of the CAO. Naturally enough I went out and celebrated that night. After I had the one that was one to many I got a taxi home. Started chatting to the taxi drive and it turned out he was a First Officer who had just left cityjet and was waiting to start his 320 type rating. with Aer Lingus as he got the call back after his interview. That kinda of pushed me to maybe consider the pilot training again, as I had kind of abandoned the idea.

So, I went down to PTC in Waterford and did their aptitude test and flight skills test (was a bit shocked when I got the bill at the end). Had a chat with the Cheif Ground Instructor and went through the pro's and con's of the whole thing.

I decided to go the pilot route as I knew would nt stick 4 years of Business and Computing in DIT.

I did the PPL with Flight Safety in Vero Beach and up to 130hrs hour building after that. The shit really hit the fan though when I returned to PTC to start the ATPL's THEY ARE TUFF!! Theres no doubt about it. Theres 14 exams in total. Now this is the bit I never really looked into or thought about. You really have to be dedicated to the studying to get through them as theres no easy way around them. There has been times that I have considered giving up and droping out of the course. Some of the stuff in General Navigation, Principles of Flight and Instruments is really mind boggling! At the moment I have 7 of the 14 out of the way, but I havnt enjoyed some of them. Every day is study study study right up until the consolodation week!

The question you have to ask yourself is are you going to be able to sit down at home and study 14 subjects, essentially a degree course and pass them in 2 or 3 sittings (about 6 months)?!?

The only thing that is motivating me at the moment is getting to the CPL and Multi IR, and the fact I owe the bank 75000 euro!

My adivce to you is look at other schools appart from PTC, do a flying lesson, try get your hands on one of the harder ATPL books and have a look at some of the stuff. And if you do want to go for it, do the Class One medical now, so you can keep your options open while youre still in school!

Good luck!

dessiejohn
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by dessiejohn »

Hi,

My situation was a little more complicated in that I'm in my early thirties and at the time I was leaving school there was no option for me to go on to do any flight training. Other than going to the Aer Corps, which I tried at the age of 17.

I've spent the last few years looking around at the various schools such as Oxford and Jerez. I even got a place on the Sigmar course at the start of last year but due to personal circumstances I decided against it.

I am also on the PTC airline course and have just completed the first 7 of the 14 ATPL exams and as Ranar said they are tough. It's not that the stuff is difficult it's more the shear volume of information that you are expected to know. Yes you have to be dedicated and have the will power to be able to get through it. It can be done, again it might be a good idea to have a look at one of the books to see just what's involved.

As Ranar said shop around have a look at different schools and I would recommend that you take a couple of preliminary lessons to see how comfortable you are in a light aircraftl.

You will also read on this forum and others about integrated v's modular courses, while a lot of the information is valid, choose the option that suits you the most. For some it's integrated for other's it's modular.

On top of the cost of getting to the stage where you're employable you will also have to take into consideration that you may have to also pay for a Type Rating too, the Ryanair TR all in could cost you ?40000.

I can say that I am enjoying not having to sit at a deak anymore doing something that I was never really into. Once you have the flying bug, the dedication, the determination and the funds you shouldn't have any problems.

If you have any questions about PTC send me a PM.

Best of luck.

airbus
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by airbus »

airbus
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by airbus »

Does anybody recommend an good atpl book and also i didnt realise it was tht expensive to get a TR after forking out ?90000 they expect you to give another ?40000 its crazy talk :shock: :x that you actually got to pay to get a job but i suppose theres other jobs you could do as a pilot to get a bit a money before going to an airline and by the way this might sound stupid but when they say b737 TR do they mean that you are fully qualified to fly all tyes of 737s e.g 737-900 & 737-200 etc..... :?:

JFH
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by JFH »

q
Last edited by JFH on Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ranar1mike
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by ranar1mike »

When you go for your flying lesson at Weston, ask can you have a look at the Gen Nav or Performance ATPL book, thats if its the National Flight Centre your doing your lesson at, I think they are the only FTO that does ATPLs at Weston?

I would recommend looking at the ATPL theory books as well as the PPL ones, because if you just look at the easier PPL stuff you may be misguided.

Also, that quote of 90,000 for zero-frozen ATPL, did you get that from PTC?

FLYbyWIT
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by FLYbyWIT »

16 year old, not one lesson complete yet ! ATPL Gen Nav and performance books would be double dutch to him/her........
Just go enjoy the flight. :roll:

Baby steps to the ATPL lads,,, which reminds me should'nt yee be studying. O I so cruel :D

TolTol
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by TolTol »

B737 TR = 300 to 900.

Nanolight
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Nanolight »

Yeah, like in fairness, there can't be that much difference between them can there?

It would be a pity to spend 20 grand on a type rating for an 800 after the 900 just because the pilot's seat in the 800 doesn't go up and down... Or the doors open inwards or the handbrake is on the other side or something.
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

airbus
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by airbus »

I know it might seem that i am rushing ahead but i want to know what im getting into before i give all that money away. :!: cos by the time i get an airline job i will be broke. :x

airbus
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by airbus »

TolTol wrote:B737 TR = 300 to 900.

what do you mean :?:

michael747
Verified User
Verified User

Post by michael747 »

I'd say he means what type of 737!!!
737-300 :arrow: 737-900

Do you have to spend the 20k again to go from an 800 to a 900???
Thats redicules!!!!

Airbus ratings should be a bit cheaper surely???
They're all pretty much the same except for the fact that some have 4 engines!!!
Regards,
M747
:D