hearing requirements (IAA)

This is a forum where student pilots can post their questions for more experienced pilots and instructors to answer

Moderator: mark

Paul W
Unverified User
Unverified User

hearing requirements (IAA)

Post by Paul W » Wed Apr 18, 2007 9:31 pm

I have recently done my class 1 medical in the Mater Ireland. I'm having trouble with the audiogram test, i'm currently 5dB outside limits on 500Hz an 3000Hz. IAA rules state that you need to be within 20dB on 500Hz 1000Hz and 2000Hz. Then 35dB on 5000Hz. They tell me that there are ammendments to be put in place which will make it similar to CAA rules where you can be within 35dB on 500hz, 1000Hz and 2000Hz. 50dB on 3000Hz. Anybody any idea when ammendments are to be put in place? Or any advice would be welcome

Cosmic
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Cosmic » Thu Apr 19, 2007 10:57 am

If the amendments are already in place in the Uk, then book yourself a flight to the UK and do the medical there. You can use a CAA JAR Medical for an IAA licence or any other JAA licence if you wish. It seems to be another example of how, although we are all a part of the big JAA happy family, each state applies it's own rules willy nilly. It's an arse, and EASA is going to be even worse.
We who fly do so for the love of flying. We are alive in the air with this miracle that lies in our hands and beneath our feet.

— Cecil Day Lewis

OnTheNumbers
Verified User
Verified User

Post by OnTheNumbers » Thu Apr 19, 2007 11:01 am

Somebody will surely correct me on this - but if there is a difference between the CAA and IAA would it not be feasible for you to do the Class 1 in the UK? JAR Class 1 is, I would have thought, a JAR Class 1 regardless of the issuing authority.

I'm suggesting this route because if there is a change on the way, it still may take some time.

...... just spotted Cosmic replying at the same time :-) sorry
OnTheNumbers
-------------------------------------------------------
http://www.clearofcloud.ie
@clearofcloud on Twitter, Instagram

Cosmic
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Cosmic » Thu Apr 19, 2007 3:05 pm

Incidentally Paul W I had trouble with the hearing requirements doing my initial Class 1 and I argued the toss, and got a consultant audiologist to argue the toss on my behalf. Don't give up to easily, many have similar problems and overcome them. I did and have never had a problem at renewal time.
We who fly do so for the love of flying. We are alive in the air with this miracle that lies in our hands and beneath our feet.

— Cecil Day Lewis

Paul W
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Paul W » Thu Apr 19, 2007 3:46 pm

Cheers Cosmic, the consultant has passed me on the audiogram but he has told me its up to the IAA whether they clear it or not. So ill just have to keep my fingers crossed for the next couple of weeks. I understand that ill pass if i go to the UK and ill def go over if i have to.I'd just rather avoid it, dont fancy splashin out another 600euro

Overpitcher
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Overpitcher » Mon Apr 23, 2007 11:20 pm

Hello All...... me also failed class 1 audiogram test, marginaly, and did not really know where to turn to next. That was last October. Having looked at the above item on the forum, I am fired up again, and will post my progress here. Thanks to all that have discussed this topic. Any other related stories would be appreciated.
More money, more lift.

Cosmic
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Cosmic » Tue Apr 24, 2007 9:45 am

When you turn up for the Medical in the Uk don't mention anything about your results in Ireland unless legally obliged to.

Not disclosing required information is illegal, keeping quiet about things not required is shrewd.

— Cecil Day Lewis

Paul W
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Paul W » Tue Apr 24, 2007 11:18 pm

Got the results back today, alot quicker than I thought! Passed......Waaaahoooo!!!!!!!! Must have got them on a good day. Overpitcher, maybe you should get back on to the Mater and see what your chances are. Might not be too late for an apeal.

Have to find a school now for the ATPL's, anybody recommend any? Thinking about doing them in Bristol, distance learning