PTC -ATPL TRAINING

This is a forum where student pilots can post their questions for more experienced pilots and instructors to answer

Moderator: mark

Leo1
Unverified User
Unverified User

PTC -ATPL TRAINING

Post by Leo1 »

Hello Folks,

Does anyone out there have any comments/thoughts/opinions both good, bad or indifferent about PTC . I hope to start ATPL training in the near future and am considering this FTO. I'm particulary interested in the thoughts of both past/present students. Any posts would be appreciated.

I notice alot of posts from those already in the much coveted RHS. Where/How did ye complete ATPL Training?, What recommendations have ye got for us wannabes. It would be helpful to get advice from ye guys who have been there, done that and bought the T-Shirt. Apologies in advance if this thread seems repetitive, but i need to start making the all important ''leap of faith'' into the abyss of flying soon and am understandably anxious. Any help would be great!

Cheers
TALLY HO TALLY HO!!!

JFH
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by JFH »

q
Last edited by JFH on Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TolTol
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by TolTol »

JFH wrote:Top Irish school....

Yeah right!

Maverick
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Maverick »

My personal opinion is that the integrated offers you nothing extra for the vast increase in the cost of training except for reducing the time from the start to finish of training....for me its modular all the way! not with PTC though,im not insane!

Top class marketing more like....

Zyox
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Zyox »

What other good alternative is there for an ATPL ground school (via distance learning of course) in Ireland?

Same question goes for conversions. I'll be converting commercial and multi-IR from Canadian to JAA soon, after doing ATPLs, and am considering PTC for the lot. Based on the money I've saved doing my training up to that stage in Canada (don't ask for details, I just got lucky) I'm still happy to spend 22k in PTC to do everything from ATPL and conversion and MCC. What are my other options?
::: Image :::

Maverick
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Maverick »

The national flight centre is one alternative and if your're looking at ME stuff they have the FNPT2 sim which greatly reduces costs...

Zyox
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Zyox »

Where's that? Website or anything I can look at?

Zyox
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Zyox »

Nevermind, found it.
Didn't see anything about conversions though?

And the ATPL ground school is roughly the same price as PTC (I think it's actually a little more) and it's still distance learning. I think I'll definately go with PTC for the books/written part of ATPL but still open to consideration about the flying parts of it.

Maverick
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Maverick »

The best thing you can do is give them a ring at 01-6282930 with regards to the conversions but im sure they do....

Its a fair point that for the ground end of things there is little in the difference pricewise but i would prefer NFC simply from what i have heard about the course from people who have done it there. Also if your looking at the MCC too PTC and NFC use parc anyway so theres no difference with the training but i dont know if the price is different?

The flying end of things is where substantial money can be saved...the sim is ?150~hr as opposed to ?440~hr in the real thing. :D

Zyox
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Zyox »

You can use that sim instead of the actual multi for your Multi-IR?

Zyox
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Zyox »

Ah you still have to do the 15 hours in the twin for JAA. See I'll have done my multi already, and I'll only be converting it and afaik will still need the 15 hours in the multi no matter what (I'm open to correction!).

I have a feeling that me actually doing the flying part of the multi will be out of necessity rather than for learning as I'll have done it over here.

Maverick
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Maverick »

I wouldnt be that well clued into the rules and regs around your situation, the best advice I can give is to give them a buzz and they will be able to shed sum light on the subject! Air Law,ya got to love it!

Alan Murphy
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Alan Murphy »

Zyox wrote:What other good alternative is there for an ATPL ground school (via distance learning of course) in Ireland?

There is now mutual recognition of ATPL theory examinations between the IAA and the CAA, so you're not limited to Irish groundschools if you want to do the flying modules here.

Zyox
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Zyox »

The CAA being England? I'm currently getting really confused between CAA and Canada, I thought they were CAA too :s Maybe they're just Transport Canada...

Yeah either way I'd rather do it in Ireland, especially after being in Canada for so long.

Cathal
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Cathal »

Hi Zyox ,
Im in the middle of my ATPL's with PTC at the minute , and have had no problems.
The text books are good , and the weekly quizzes online are helpfull too.
Go down and talk to them and you'll see for yourself.

Tailwinds,
Cathal.