Newbie introduction!

This is a forum where student pilots can post their questions for more experienced pilots and instructors to answer

Moderator: mark

KeithT
Unverified User
Unverified User

Newbie introduction!

Post by KeithT »

Hey all!
My name is Keith and I'm from Dublin. Registered here a week or so ago and finally finished reading through the site and thought I'd introduce myself :D
I just started working towards my PPL today in Weston. I just turned 25 this month and I've always dreamt of being a pilot right up until now. So after many a sleepless night(~25 years x365 :shock: ) I finally started it!!
Heard from a few guys who were like myself and had their first flight and realised they actually hated it so I was a tad bit nervous before takeoff, but have to say in all honestly after 5 minutes i was cool!
I'm hoping to free up the funds soon so I can get up in the air on a more consistent basis so as to keep the momentum with my training going.
Just thought I'd share my experiences with you all and any advice or opinions are very much welcome!

KeithT

Flyer1
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Flyer1 »

Welcome Keith, you've been bitten by the flying bug so there's no escaping from it now. Just keep at it. Plenty of help and advice on this forum, and remember, there's no such thing as a stupid question in aviation.

OW wright
Unverified User
Unverified User

Re: Newbie introduction!

Post by OW wright »

hello Keith, and welcome to the forum.

KeithT wrote: I just started working towards my PPL today in Weston. I just turned 25 this month and I've always dreamt of being a pilot right up until now. So after many a sleepless night(~25 years x365 :shock: ) I finally started it!!

I was around your age when i started learning to fly, that's six year's ago now. I wish i'd started year's before that. I havn't flown in about six weeks so cold turkey is starting to set in ,yes it's that bad, you'll realise what i mean when you start learning and really get into it.

KeithT wrote: Heard from a few guys who were like myself and had their first flight and realised they actually hated it so I was a tad bit nervous before takeoff, but have to say in all honestly after 5 minutes i was cool!

if you liked it after five minutes then like the rest of us your hooked :lol: .

KeithT wrote: I'm hoping to free up the funds soon so I can get up in the air on a more consistent basis so as to keep the momentum with my training going.

save every penny(cent :roll: ) you can, your going to need it !

regards, and enjoy every minute of it,

O.W.

KeithT[/quote]
Wright Brothers.Aviation Pioneers: Orville (1871-1948) born in Dayton ,OH and Wilbur(1867-1912)born near Millville,IN. They were the First to Fly in a powered heavier-than-air-machine ,17th Dec 1903 at Kitty Hawk ,NC.

Nanolight
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Nanolight »

God yeah, cold turkey, my supervisor came in today and caught me doing wingovers with my toy P38 Lightning that I have in work (don't ask) complete with vroom vroom noises.

Keith I am in a pretty similar situation myself. Luckily the very first day I ever went flying, it was a crisp winters morn, not a bump to be had...that got me hooked let me tell you, but subsequent flights were a bit bumpier. I spoke to a few people about this and they said that the edginess I experienced then is normal and will wear off once you get a bit of confidence in yourself and your instructor... and they were right!

I hope you have lots of money by the way :wink:
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

KeithT
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by KeithT »

-------------------------
Last edited by KeithT on Tue Oct 02, 2007 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

EIDEL
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by EIDEL »

A little ice on your enthusiam just to keep yer head from getting too woolly. Go for your med 2 before you commit too much of your hard earned cash to flipping around the skies . Otherwise go on ye boy ye. ENJOY

KeithT
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by KeithT »

EI-DEL wrote:A little ice on your enthusiam just to keep yer head from getting too woolly. Go for your med 2 before you commit too much of your hard earned cash to flipping around the skies . Otherwise go on ye boy ye. ENJOY

Ah yes I know! I have a the medical booked for very soon. Should be ok, Ive had the all the tests done independantly this week to make sure it's worth actually going to the medical.

Thanks though 8)

Keith

Flyer1
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Flyer1 »

Keith, if you can walk into the building without collapsing or bumping into any walls, you should get your class 2 no problems.

KeithT
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by KeithT »

Flyer1 wrote:Keith, if you can walk into the building without collapsing or bumping into any walls, you should get your class 2 no problems.

Thanks, I should be ok then 8)

historical-avi-irl.i8.com
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by historical-avi-irl.i8.com »

Haha, Welcome Keith, great to see you've arrived in AVGAS Nirvana! - What type are you flying at the moment, and do you think you'll go to PPL, or beyond! (I've been working at it for years!).

By the way, don't tell the other half how much you're spending on a tin can, just take them for a nice flight when all the work is done :wink:

Good Luck and might see you about!

KeithT
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by KeithT »

----------------------------
Last edited by KeithT on Tue Oct 02, 2007 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

EIDEL
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by EIDEL »

Congratulations KeithT. Looks like the wild blue yonder is going to be your 10/4 from here on in .Go on ye boy ye

havana_club69
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by havana_club69 »

Great to hear keith, I just had my first flight there on sunday and it was fantasic to say the least, a few bumps here and there but nothing major, well apart from the 60" turns which after the first couple of times I started to get used to. Im in the same position now as your opening post, have to really start tinking about proper training, and money!!