FAA Licence

This is a forum where student pilots can post their questions for more experienced pilots and instructors to answer

Moderator: mark

Mark H
Verified User
Verified User

FAA Licence

Post by Mark H » Fri Jan 12, 2007 11:52 am

Is there any way to get trained here in Ireland for the FAA cert? I already have a long expired Irish licence. Would love to get back to flying, but find all the new rules far too onerous.

I understand that once you have this licence you have it. Unlike the JAA type. I eould find it difficult to get away to the USA for three weeks minimum in order to get the new licence, because of family commitments. I have seen that there are schools that are offering FAA training in the UK but even this is quite difficult to organise.

Mark

MCRO
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by MCRO » Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:37 pm

Unfortunately present situation seems to be that FAA Licences little use in these parts

FAA Medicals are sub-ICAO

FAA PPL no longer carries attestation that it is issued in accordance with ICAO Annex 1

Thus each licence needs individual validation - which may be impossible if it is judged sub-ICAO

Try to be patient for the arrival of the European Recreational PPL - still flagged to be available by Sept next

Maurice

bean_ian
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by bean_ian » Wed Jan 17, 2007 9:23 am

Is that going to be like a europe-wide NPPL?

MCRO
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by MCRO » Wed Jan 17, 2007 10:30 pm

Yes, it may well have most of the UK NPPL characteristics except that it is to be terrirtorially limited to EU rather than UK

Look on the EASA website where it is Notice of Proposed TRulemaking No
14/2006

http://www.easa.eu.int/home/rm_arc_en.html

gets you there, but you have to look in the "Archive" where proposals whose comment time has expired, reside

Maurice

Mark H
Verified User
Verified User

re Eppl

Post by Mark H » Wed Jan 17, 2007 11:56 pm

So should we try to get the UK NPPL in the meantime? Will this turn into the Eppl. Will a microlight licence be able to turn into a eppl?

MCRO
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by MCRO » Thu Jan 18, 2007 9:23 pm

I think no possibility that IAA will issue a UK NPPL type licence here : their powers under Irish Aviation Auuthority Act do not go that far

The Jury is out about bringing Microlight flying within scope of proposed EASA PPL

EU would lke to have them in but many microlightists are lobbying to remain out as they believe their National regimes more comfprtable

Maurice

Mark H
Verified User
Verified User

Easier Licencing

Post by Mark H » Fri Jan 19, 2007 8:49 am

So What will Change, with the new Eppl?

HillerBee
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by HillerBee » Mon Jan 22, 2007 7:40 pm

The US is a member of ICAO and council member. The FAA license is the most widely accepted licence in the World.

There's is no need for the FAA to print on the license that it's issued in accordance with ICAO Annex 1.

http://www.icao.int/icao/en/trivia/peltrgFAQ.htm#13

MCRO
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by MCRO » Sun Jan 28, 2007 10:46 pm

Hello HillerBee

The fact that a State is an ICAO Member doesn't oblige it to issue any or all of its licences to ICAO spec.

ICAO trivia confirms what I said about non-attested licencs having to receive indiviual validation

Same trivial post doesn't suggest that ICAO attestation on licences is optional - just that only certain States bother

The wording at ICAO 1.2.1 is

A person shall not act as a flight crew member of an aircraft
unless a valid licence is held showing compliance with the
specifications of this Annex

I would not think that to be ambiguous

Very best cheer

Maurice

900EX
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by 900EX » Mon Jan 29, 2007 1:28 am

According to the FAA and CAA, ICAO member states issue licences that are ICAO compliant unless they specifically state thereon that they are issued sub-icao standard.

That is why the FAA Recreational Pilot Licence is issued with the text "Holder does not meet ICAO standards".

Any ICAO member state that does not accept ICAO issued licences that are not subject to such limitations are acting outside of their membership agreements.
Celer fuga....

MCRO
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by MCRO » Mon Jan 29, 2007 10:25 am

Hello 900X

I think you may be viewing this from the wrong side of the mirror

Acceptance of an ICAO compliant PPL from another State is discretionary to the accepting State.

UK does this by ANO Art 21 (4) (a)

and we by Personnel Licensing Order Art 5 (10)

ICAO does not mandate such an acceptance - merely an Annex 1 recomendation

1.2.2.2 Recommendation.? A pilot licence issued by a
Contracting State should be rendered valid by other
Contracting States for use in private flights.

We would would all like a universally valid PPL but distrust and confusion still get in the way

Maurice

900EX
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by 900EX » Mon Jan 29, 2007 4:11 pm

QUOTE "FAA PPL no longer carries attestation that it is issued in accordance with ICAO Annex 1 "

When did the FAA PPL carry this attestation ?

I think you will find that it never did carry any reference to ICAO. My British licences do not carry such a statement nor do my FAA licences.
Celer fuga....

MCRO
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by MCRO » Mon Jan 29, 2007 9:17 pm

Interesting indeed 900EX

The UK mustn't like you

I have 4 British PPL's

1965, 1970, 1974 and 1981 (miniature)

I can only find the last 3 - they all carry the ICAO attestation

I don't hold a UK JAA/PPL but I would venture what you seek may actually be found on the front cover

I don't know whether FAA ever published the attest : I raised this on recent visit to Independence Ave : an International lawyer was surprised to find it lacking on his own licence and said he would advise - which he hasn't yet.

Maurice

JFH
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by JFH » Mon Jan 29, 2007 10:12 pm

q
Last edited by JFH on Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MCRO
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by MCRO » Tue Jan 30, 2007 7:29 pm

Lucky, indeed is your friend, JFH, to have an R44

If the State of Registry gives automatic validation to, or specificly validates the FAA Licence, then all is well Ireland has no function)

Otherwise I am sure the R enjoys being flown by an FAA licensed pilot : it is a most excellent and proper licence and the product of the most experienced and knowledgable licensing authority in the world

The JAR/Med requirments can certainly cause problems : after 49 years flying I fell foul of them and had to get myself a New Zealand ICAO licence to avoid eclipse

Maurice