What Age.....?

This is a forum where student pilots can post their questions for more experienced pilots and instructors to answer

Moderator: mark

danelane2000
Unverified User
Unverified User

What Age.....?

Post by danelane2000 »

Hi!,

What is the minimum age for getting my PPL?
If someone who knows could you please email me to danelane2000@yahoo.co.uk or post a reply or Private Message.

Thank You,
Cork Live Director,
www.cork-live.com

ppl
Verified User
Verified User

Re: What Age.....?

Post by ppl »

Hi,

Under JAA regulations, you can hold a Student Pilot License (SPL) at 16 years of age. This allows you to solo an aircraft once you've passed a medical and reached that stage in your training.

You must be 17 to obtain a Private Pilots License (PPL).

You can check out the JAR Flight Crew License (JAR-FCL) here...

http://www.jaa.nl/section1/jarsec1.html

Cheers,

PPL.

danelane2000 wrote:Hi!,

What is the minimum age for getting my PPL?
If someone who knows could you please email me to danelane2000@yahoo.co.uk or post a reply or Private Message.

Thank You,

danelane2000
Unverified User
Unverified User

Thanks

Post by danelane2000 »

Hi, PPL

Thanks for that, im only 14 so i still have a bit to go yet!!
but im training still none the less!

Thanks
Cork Live Director,
www.cork-live.com

DX
Unverified User
Unverified User

What age........

Post by DX »

Hi Daneleane2000, im 14 to and living in cork, who are you doing your training with? Southaer r Atlantic flight...........? Im with atlantic....... top class instructurs! DX is a mean machine compare to the 3 rust-buckets that southaer have..........for example one day(before i moved to atlantic.......) i was doing cuircuits in "EI-COZ" without an RPM GAUGE!!! I asked my instructur how i was going to do the power checks and he said that he what 1700rpm sounds like! :D :P :P :P
Any landing is a good one, once you can walk away from it!

AndyMax
Unverified User
Unverified User

Re: What age........

Post by AndyMax »

DX wrote:he said that he what 1700rpm sounds like! :D :P :P :P

There is some truth to that. When I did my PPL in Florida I was taught to first listen for the sound of the engine for a given RPM then check/glance at the gauge. This keeps your head out the window longer.....especially important for VFR flying

Xacto
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Xacto »

Hi Danelane & DX,

It?s great to see your enthusiasm and obvious enjoyment of your flying training. One thing bothers me though, and that is your age.

One of the documents you will be required to be familiar with as your training progresses is the IAA Personnel Licensing Order. It can be viewed here.

Click on ?Statutory Instruments 1922 ~ 2002? and click your way through to find SI 333 of 2000. ( Sorry, a direct link to the document doesn?t seem to work for some reason.)

Go to article 5 paragraph 5(a). It reads;
?a person undergoing dual instruction for the purpose of obtaining a student pilot's licence shall be not less than 15 years of age and shall be not less than 16 years of age before undertaking an initial solo flight.?

I hope for your sakes that someone will point me towards a rescindment of that regulation but at the moment it looks like you shouldn?t be training at all until you reach 15. You should discuss this with your Flying Training Organisations and your instructors. You may find that the IAA will not recognise any of the flying time you have logged to date.

DX, on another thread you mentioned that your instructor said you would be able to go solo soon as soon as you had practised stalling. He/she should know that the minimum age for this is 16. In any case you will need to be in possession of an SPL and your application for this will be refused by the IAA.

By the way, you might also like to check out SI 19 of 1999, first schedule to article 52, and see what it says about tachometers (RPM gauges). You will eventually have to be a dab hand at trawling through these documents to find various bits of information so you might as well start practising.

Regards,

Xacto.

Clrd2Land
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Clrd2Land »

Xacto wrote:I hope for your sakes that someone will point me towards a rescindment of that regulation but at the moment it looks like you shouldn?t be training at all until you reach 15

It's true, you need to be 15 to log any time towards a PPL.

danelane2000
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by danelane2000 »

I dont care if i dont log any time towards my ppl, i will wait till im 15 but i will still continue my hours everyweek, its not just about tests and getting your licence, its about enjoying yourself, you dont think people want to becoma pilots and people like ye posting thinks trying to put them off.

I dont care what anyone says, no one will take away my love for flying!!! :!:
Cork Live Director,
www.cork-live.com

mrbungle
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by mrbungle »

Fair point damelane,
Keep doing what you love doing !

But isn't is an expensive and futile way to enjoy yourself without logging hours, legally ?

Bob
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Bob »

I don't think he was trying to put you off danelane, I think he was just trying to warn you, try not to take it to heart to much he's just pointing out facts that are relevant to you.

I think fair play to you, if you can afford to fly weekly, do it. It just seems uncomprehendible to a lot of us who are constantly calculating how much it's going to cost us to get to a stage where someone else pays for our flying.

DX
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by DX »

Hi Xacto,
In regards to the age limits of loging hours i have contacted the IAA and have been told that i can log my hours(and they will count towards my PPL) but i am restricted to 16 until I am legally to go solo. I know that you are only trying to save us money (gratley apreciated) but as far as my knowledge goes it is perfectly legal for me to be flying dual!

Thanks for your consideration! :D :D
Any landing is a good one, once you can walk away from it!

ceatach
Verified User
Verified User

Post by ceatach »

danelane2000 wrote:you dont think people want to becoma pilots and people like ye posting thinks trying to put them off.

I dont care what anyone says, no one will take away my love for flying!!! :!:

If you want to become a good pilot then you need to become good at judging situations. you were given some friendly advice.

DX. Did you get the name of the person you spoke to? If I was you Id get that in writing.

regards.........

danelane2000
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by danelane2000 »

ceatach wrote: If you want to become a good pilot then you need to become good at judging situations. you were given some friendly advice.

It didn't seem like friendly advice, and i think your write about getting DX's thing in writing because I will have done 5 hours tomorrow, and Im not even close to being able to fly solo and you have to be 15 anyway!

Regards
Cork Live Director,
www.cork-live.com

Bob
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Bob »

Who put your g-string on backwards? :shock: :D

ceatach
Verified User
Verified User

Post by ceatach »