Colour Blindness Test

This is a forum where student pilots can post their questions for more experienced pilots and instructors to answer

Moderator: mark

Trigger
Verified User
Verified User

Colour Blindness Test

Post by Trigger »

My medical 2 is up for renewal, question is do I have to do the colour blindness test again ???
Cause first time I failed the Mitsubishi test (or whatever it's called) and did the lantern test in Port Lairge (or whatever it's called) airport and passed !!!! Have to say if I could not pass that I should never go near a traffic light or pedestrian crossing, let alone fly a plane.
Going through all that again would seem silly........would it?
Also I did hear that the IAA are a bit stricter on sight tests, is this true also ??

StephenM
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by StephenM »

I did the colour blindness test with my optician a few weeks before hand and she explained what was expected etc afterwards, so on the day I knew what was coming but I recognised most of the pages from before.
When I went for my class 2 I got quite scared due to the fact that I could'nt read the top line when asked but I am allowed to fly with corrected vision. (ie Glasses) :lol:

MCRO
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by MCRO »

If you read the medical protocol you will see that the Ishihara test is conclusive only in the sense that if you pass it you are OK

If you don't pass it it you can still have an unrestricted licence provided you make minimal mistakes on a lantern - Edison Green used to be the favoured one

If you fail this you may still get a licence based on a test by tower.

(To be re-written when EASA licensing clicks in)

Maurice

Trigger
Verified User
Verified User

Colour Blindness Test

Post by Trigger »

Rang the IAA medical officer re: this.
The airport tower lantern test is no longer sufficient for unrestricted licencing. So I have to do the stupid Ishihara test again, probably fail it again, and then go to the Mater (where Gay ?) the Mater Hospital where they put you in a dark room and after a period of time flash lights at you.
God knows how much that will cost, but seriously I'm not going for a moon shot here, I just want a clean unrestricted PPL licence.
The restrictions are.
Limited to VFR (that's no problem)
Limited to Irish Airspace (Why for God's sake, are other countries more colourful ?)
Limited to Irish registered aircraft. (This sends me I'm afraid, it's stupid and there is NO logical reason for it other than some dip stick who never flew a paper plane in school, thought it a good idea)

If any of you out there can give me a sound reason for this please let me know, but it is really frustrating and more than a little demoralising at the moment . HELP :evil: :x

Kevlar
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Kevlar »

Regards, Kevlar

bean_ian
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by bean_ian »

Does anyone know if a Colour blind CAA PPL pilot can fly in Ireland in and Irish reg AC??

mark
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by mark »

Hi bean_ian,

Any licence issued in accordance with ICAO FCL requirements (can't remember the exact document) can be used in any ICAO contracting state to fly privately an aircraft on that aircraft register VFR by day only. ICAO includes most countries in the world. The only catch is that the IAA require that you have at least a class 2 medical to fly in Ireland. A class 3 medical can be used in other countries but it is not recognised by the IAA.

Then you have the JAA system which includes all European countries (incl. the UK). These licences are in theory the same throughout Europe put in practice there are a lot of inconsistencies (but that's for another thread!). However a licence issued by another JAA state in accordance with the regulations can be used in any other member state including exercising all of the ratings on the licence (IR, Night Rating etc.) and the privileges of a CPL if you hold one. One of the great benefits of this system is that an Irish examiner can sign the paperwork (SEP, MEP Renewals etc.) for the licence even if it's issued in a different JAA state. This cuts down the costs of maintaining your licence.

So to answer you question exactly, if you can get a CAA medical (class 2)and PPL then there is no problem flying in Ireland including exercising all the privileges of your ratings. A word of caution about the medical. The first medical you get must br issued in the country where the licence is issued, after that you can use a medical from any JAA country.

I hope this helps, if you've any more questions please don't hesitate to ask.
Regards,
Mark Dwyer
www.flyinginireland.com

------------------------------------------------
FlyingInIreland.com:- THE Resource for Irish Aviation Information

bean_ian
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by bean_ian »

Cheers for that Mark, that clears it up! I was starting to panic there!
Thanks Again
Ian

MCRO
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by MCRO »

Wait Wait

The ICAO Class 3 Medical is no longer available for the PPL - it is for ATC personel only.

Ireland Licenses to JAR/MED 2 but allows holders of non-JAA PPL licences to fly here if the have me ICAO Annex 1 Colour Vision

I sense JAR/FCL colour reqirement is more stringent than ICAO Annex I : after holding JAR/FCL PPL since inception I was recenly gonged for Colour Vision.

I dare say C/V just might be an area of some difference betwewen JAA States, great effort, though, has been made to standardise, and you are amost sure to have difficulty in getting one JAA State to set aisde another's findings

Option is to establish if your vision is OK by ICAO, then to take out a licence in a non-JAA ICAO state which uses Annex 2 unembellished

Such licence caries PPL privileges here, saving instructing and instrument

Hope you can make it

Mail me if you think I van help - my c/v battle has lasted 53 years - but so ar I have won every round - eventually

Maurice

bean_ian
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by bean_ian »

Ok so i just did my IAA medical and passed it but with the VFR day only restriction as expected. Can this cert be used when i apply for my CAA PPL in a few months time?
The AME I went to was under the impression I could only fly in British airspace if i had this restriction.

MCRO
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by MCRO »

So far so good for Bean_Ian

If your interests are satisfied with Daylight VFR Operation - fair enough

If not, did your AME offer you a lantern test under Appendix 14 of JAR/MED : if not ask for it - it enables you to qualify without being able to interpret the world of isochromatics

(It has kept me flying for 50 years inc CPL/IR)

Best cheer

Maurice

(PS JAR licence endorsements mean what they say anywhere in JARland unless issuing authority adds a territorial restriction)

bean_ian
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by bean_ian »

Thanks Maurice,
I did the Lantern Test a couple of years ago and failed that. I think my last option is the tower lights at gatwick, I find it difficult distinguishing between white and certain shades of green.
At the moment I dont have any desire to go any further than day VFR, but im sure in years to come my ambitions will change, hopefully the colour blindness restrictions will too!!!

AndyMax
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by AndyMax »

mark wrote:A word of caution about the medical. The first medical you get must br issued in the country where the licence is issued,

not so. I have an IAA Class 2 and then got issued a CAA PPL.

bean_ian
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by bean_ian »

but if the medical has restrictions on it can it still be used in an application for a CAA PPL?

MCRO
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by MCRO »

I thought I was confusion proof in these matter but........

Do I have your state right ?

You want to use your Irish JAR/FCL Medical Class 2, to help bring you a CAA JAR/FCL PPL - or an ICAO Annex 1 PPL when go go abroad to do training

Will check on Mark's caution - Med State = Initial Licence State

If you use your restricted MED rather than re-examination then the restriction will appear on any licence granted anywhere

In honesty, if you cannot meet either Ishihara or Latern, JAA or ICAO licences are likely to be beyond reach - unrestricted

If you don't already know about it have a look on the EASA web for details
of the proposed simpler than JAR or ICAO PPL for Europe

http://www.easa.eu.int/home/index.html

You will find it among the most recent NPA's - and you will br glad

Maurice