Standard Overhead Join

This is a forum where student pilots can post their questions for more experienced pilots and instructors to answer

Moderator: mark

sppl
Unverified User
Unverified User

Standard Overhead Join

Post by sppl » Wed Jul 05, 2006 8:40 am

Hi All

I was leafing through Kevin Glynns VFR Guide (good publication) and I see alot of instructions to standard join. I am right in thinking that this is:

Desend on the dead side to circuit height, cross the runway mid point to join down wind?

Thanks

SPPL
sppl

nosedive
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by nosedive » Wed Jul 05, 2006 8:56 am

My understnading is that you join overhead, descend dead sidean dcross the run way over threshold opposite to the one you'll be landing on before joining downwind. ( on an east - west runway, you cross over 09 end before joining a downwind for 27).
Another broken undercarriage........

OW wright
Unverified User
Unverified User

Re: Standard Overhead Join

Post by OW wright » Wed Jul 05, 2006 12:23 pm

sppl wrote:Hi All

I was leafing through Kevin Glynns VFR Guide (good publication) and I see alot of instructions to standard join. I am right in thinking that this is:

Desend on the dead side to circuit height, cross the runway mid point to join down wind?

Thanks

SPPL

is that how it's described in Kevin Glynn's VFR Guide?
if so, then that is the correct and safest way to join the circuit or approach an airfield for landing,unless you can approach straight in for landing.

the mid point of the runway is a safety zone and allows you to see both end's of the runway.

most peolple who learned to fly at weston, including myself, would not be used to this method as there is no deadside.
you pass overhead the field at 1450ft and then decend onto the downwind, which isn't a safe way to do it as you can loose sight of other traffic that may also be on the downwind leg or traffic that could be doing a go around and decide to turn early onto downwind.

for example a low wing aircraft decending onto downwind with a high wing aircraft also on downwind creates a strong possibilty of collision.

Mike C
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Mike C » Wed Jul 05, 2006 12:46 pm

Hi All,

I have a similar question to sppl's. What is a standard join here in Ireland?

Most of my flying has been in Florida, the standard join there is to listen to Atis/Awos and enter downwind at a 45 degree angle so as to eyeball any traffic in the pattern.

My only cross country experience here at home was a straight in approach to Sligo. Are different methods used by different schools/clubs ie. Standard overhead join, Midfield join?

MCRO
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by MCRO » Wed Jul 05, 2006 4:14 pm

The "Standard Join" I believe was developed in R.A.F.

Fly overhead at 1500 ft QFE

Circle left overhead to investigate landing conditions and active landing direction

Take up left-hand descending turn on dead side down to circuit height and roll out heading to cross upwind threshold* 90 deg to t/o direction

Join circuit on downwind leg and continue maintaining circuit discipline.

If circuit right hand continue your dead side descending turn until you are flying a downwind - but on the dead side

Turn right to cross the upwind threshold at circuit height and contune as for left hand procedure

*I would say upwind threshold is better place to cross than mid-way : all traffic of interest is coming from the downwind and the upwind threshold is a more commanding and safer viewpoint

I think the question of the low winger joining downwind on top of the high winger resolves itself if you plot relative positions 20-30 secs before impact and, of course, both should be at same height at this stage

Maurice

sppl
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by sppl » Thu Jul 06, 2006 8:56 am

Thanks Guys

For all the good advice

SPPL
sppl

jonkil
Verified User
Verified User

Post by jonkil » Mon Aug 14, 2006 8:54 am

Download this PDF file.
Right click and select "save target as" and you can save it to your Hard drive.
You will need adobe acrobat to view it.
http://www.esatclear.ie/~xair/oheadjoin.pdf

MCRO
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by MCRO » Mon Aug 14, 2006 11:25 am

Nice PDF sketch, Jonkill

However, what you are showing is the abbreviated version that can be used when the runway-in-use and left/right circuit known in advance

Maurice