Callsign query

This is a forum where student pilots can post their questions for more experienced pilots and instructors to answer

Moderator: mark

kevin2007
Unverified User
Unverified User

Callsign query

Post by kevin2007 »

When identifying myself on initial contact with ATC as my full callsign,say EI-FUE,do I then subsequently go on to identify myself as E-UE while remaining on frequency or do I retain my full callsign throughout?

Warmest Regards

Kevin

Lambada Crazy
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Lambada Crazy »

E-UE??
Last edited by Lambada Crazy on Wed Jun 14, 2006 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
When a flight is proceeding incredibly well, something was forgotten.

Biturbo
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Biturbo »

You should continue to use your full call sign until ATC use the abbreviated form with you first. Bear in mind there may be other aircraft on frequency with similar registrations and an abbreviation should only be used when there is no risk of confusion.

Situation is not helped by the fact that foreign-registered VLAs today tend not to have 'standard' registrations: I+4 numbers, OK-XXX+2numbers, PH+3alphanumeric and so on.

Plus of course those of us on yank registrations will rattle off N+up to 5 numbers (and maybe a letter or two) at you as well.

seamus
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by seamus »

You must use full call sign and only shorten it when the Air traffic controler does and not until then.

Shey
Thruser T300

kevin2007
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by kevin2007 »

Thanks Guys for your prompt and clear replies.As I now understand it..I use my full callsign at all times until and unless ATC address me with the abreviated version.

Warmest Regards

Kevin

Nanolight
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Nanolight »

What if you are flying outside ATC control lak. As in.. most places.
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

alphaLaura
Verified User
Verified User

Post by alphaLaura »

If there's two aircraft within the zone or on the same frequency with callsigns like EI-DDX and EI-CDX, then obviously you're going to avoid saying E-DX. Use CDX / DDX instead.

I usually match whatever the controller is saying. Sometimes at EICK, in the zone, they say the entire callsign for light aircraft. Which isn't -really- needed. And sometimes, if you can hear the controller is getting stressed out about commercial traffic movements, and you are bugging him by insisting on flying endless circuits, then I shorten it down to the last two letters of the callsign.
The hardest thing about flying is knowing when to say no.
I OWN THE SUN

tu154
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by tu154 »

Laura,
You are required to say the full callsign until ATC permit you to do otherwise. You don't have discretion to change this even if you think you are helping out the controller. Which is not to say it doesn't go on a lot anyway. Having trained for PPL at Weston I struggle to remember to do the E-AB bit in environments where it is required. Bad habits are hard to break.

alphaLaura
Verified User
Verified User

Post by alphaLaura »

Yeah I know. I didn't say it was a good habit of mine :/
The hardest thing about flying is knowing when to say no.
I OWN THE SUN