how to get to be a pilot ???????????

This is a forum where student pilots can post their questions for more experienced pilots and instructors to answer

Moderator: mark

ciaran
Unverified User
Unverified User

how to get to be a pilot ???????????

Post by ciaran »

hi everyone,
im 15 and from cavan and really confused over weither to become a pilot or not .Im really intrested in everything about flying but not sure where to start.can anyone tell me where the nearest flight training club is to east cavan and how much intro flights would be?IM about to pick my subjects for my leaving cert.can someone tell me which are the best to pick if i was to go on in the aviation career(i do ordinary maths,i thet a BIG drawback) .here they are but i can only pick 4
accounting
art geography
biology history
business home economics
chemistry music
construction physics
engineering technical drawing
french/german
can someone get back to me ASAP as im picking my subjects within the next two weeks
ciaran

FLYbyWIT
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by FLYbyWIT »

Hey Ciaran, To be honest it aint going to make much if any difference at all what subjects you choose for your leaving.
Its probably beneficial for your own good to go with the languages and physics and tech drawing as they would be more relevant then the other subjects but again I would not get too caught up at this stage, and just concentrate on getting a good leaving cert overall.
The main flying training schools in Ireland are Cork/Waterford/Weston-dublin/ with plenty of other flying clubs dotted all around the country, but on this site you will get some good pointers and plenty of people in the same boat as yourself also so keep asking the questions. As you may or may not know, the biggest issue to become a pilot is the financial element, I won't throw figures at you, the schools will do that but best talk to them and have a list of your own questions.
Surf the net, sites like this and many more so get investigating.
Good luck !

ciaran
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by ciaran »

thanks for the info.i will keep that in mind
ciaran

Charlie Hotel Mike
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Charlie Hotel Mike »

FLYbyWIT wrote:To be honest it aint going to make much if any difference at all what subjects you choose for your leaving.

Sorry FLYbyWIT but I have to disagree with you there. I think it is important what subjects Ciaran picks for the LC. I personally did physics,engineering,higher maths and spanish among others....it definetly gave me a head start on the private pilots liecense syllabus and was very beneficial in boardening my technical mind-set. I also would plan to make that my 'selling point' in an interview....afterall the broader your knowledge the better. Now Ciaran be warned there will be times when doing these subjects where you will say to yourself what the f*** has this to do with flying, but trust me and stick it out,its worth it in the end.

Ciaran, I think the closet place to you would be Abbeyshrule in Longford....But before you start looking at flight schools do the Class 1 medical with the IAA, without this cert there is no point in burning money and while it is expensive itself it could save you thousands in the long run.

The best way to find out if flying is for you is to do an intro...that will tell you pretty quick.

If u've anymore Q's which im sure you do, keep postin'em...

Best of luck

CHM

FLYbyWIT
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by FLYbyWIT »

The world is a bloody big place, Trust me an airline half way across the world or even Europe doesnt give a flying fook about whether u took ordinary or higher maths or if you took biology or chemistry,,, let alone even know what the Leaving cert is! The colour of your license and amount of zeros behind your total time is all they care about....Leaving cert results cmon CHM. If you going for cadetships with the like of aer lingus yonkes ago or the air corps cadets or even CTC cadet scheme in UK then there was/is basic requirements for LC/GCSE results but for the rest of pilot applicants and majority of airlines worldwide its flight experience that counts.
I cant remember Ryanair looking for physics and higher maths only,, gimme a break,,,If you could fly the Wallasey 2 Tango with one engine and tricky winds SW on a short procedure or lately the leeds SID for example I dont think they care about your ability to cross multiply...!
Once again ciaran, Dont get caught up on your leaving cert, do pick relevant subjects for the pure interest in them which hopefully you do have already have but dont be bothered that your choice will effect your future airline career. If you have the will and determination your off to a good start....All the best.

Rallye EIBFP
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Rallye EIBFP »

The best option is to talk to your carreer guideance guy and try and contact the HR of an airline directly. Then you will know what exactly is required.

Charlie Hotel Mike
Unverified User
Unverified User

So FLYbyWIT, your telling me that an airline will pick someone who failed the LC and has 400hrs over someone who has a degree and 400hrs...,,gimme a break...

Anyway Ciaran anymore Q's.....

FLYbyWIT
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by FLYbyWIT »

EEmmm I never remember stating Failing the Leaving cert was ok !,
I do remember giving resonable advise on choice of subjects and I do remember pointing on that its not worth getting caught up on too much.
Sorry to tell you CHM, But yes Pilots with degrees and some with two and outstanding academic backgrounds are quite often booted to touch over a guy with the right flight experience. Thats the world of pilot recruitment...Again do you think airlines abroad even know what a leaving cert is. If you have the box's ticked with flight experience on type or otherwise your LC means jack. So again I stand by what I said,, and I appreciate what your comments are.

Charlie Hotel Mike
Unverified User
Unverified User

Likewise, I see your point and I suppose to clarify.....if someone had 4000hrs and a Type Rating over someone with a degree and 400hrs, then yes the 4000hr guy would get it. But what I would be saying is that someone just finished training with say 400hrs and a degree has a better chance than someone with 400hrs and without a degree. Also you have your degree to fall back on if you fail a medical/poke your eye out or something......

I suppose our comments lacked clarity on scenario's....apologies

CHM

GJOYT
Verified User
Verified User

Post by GJOYT »

CMH what about Enniskillen?? I live in Cavan too!!

Charlie Hotel Mike
Unverified User
Unverified User

Yep, even better...4got about Enniskillen :o ...Ur really the man Ciaran should be talking to then about flight schools etc. Not too familiar with that neck of the woods, although I hope to do a X-country up there over the summer hopefully...U know what landings fees up there are?light single...

Cosmic
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Cosmic »

CHM, I believe FBW is actually employed as a commercial Pilot and most likely is speaking with a lot of insight and first hand knowledge about what hes talking about.

Ciaran, I'll give you my two cents for what its worth.

Getting yourself a good education is very important and you should treat it as a priority especially if your 17/18 years old. You don't need to be in a huge hurry to get your first job, you age may initially work against you. You could go off and get a university education and mature a little in the three or four years. I know I did, however its a major regret that I didn't comlete my unviersity education, it would be very nice to have something to fall back on if I ever loose my licence through sickness for example. For me the "call of the wild" was too much and I lost intrest in study and went off and did my CPL/IR. The route you choose is for you and you only to decide on. Not you parents, not your teachers not your granny. A wise person would of course consult these people and take their opinions into account before making any decision.

If you go for an interview with Ryanair for example they will have little or no interest in your acedemic results. They certainly won't give a fig if you did higher Maths or ordinary. I did no science subjects and lower Maths. Thats not to say however that you won't need them. The leaving cert and secondary school in general were a major failure for me, I was a very average student, and I seriously struggled during my ATPLs as I had never done a days study in my life. An elementary knowledge of Maths and physics would be a huge help, and I would reccomend you think about this when choosing your subjects.

The people who WILL look at your academic achievments or lack of, are people like British airways and Aer Lingus for sponsorship schemes. These in my Opinion are gone forever as the airline world changed forever after 9/11 and there is no money for luxuries like that. I also note on the BA application form for Direct entry experinced pilots includes a section for results for your Irish leaving Cert, I woul say its the exception to the rule though. Companies like CTC will also look at your education track record as evidence that you will be able to go the distance during your aviation studies with them.

As FBW says, the biggest obstacle to clear is not education, or lack of motivation which will usually make up for the former, is the money. Your talking the very thicker end of 100,000 Euro by the time you have got your bum in an airliner seat of thats what you want. The way it works with the airlines in Europe that are recruitng low time pilots (which is what you will be when you qualify) is that you have to pay for your training on the aircraft. This can cost up to 30,000 Euro.

I would suggest you speak to as many people as you can, schools and people at flying club level. I would also suggest you read the Professional Pilot Trainig section www.pprune.org , a gold mine of information.

Good Luck
We who fly do so for the love of flying. We are alive in the air with this miracle that lies in our hands and beneath our feet.

— Cecil Day Lewis

GJOYT
Verified User
Verified User

Post by GJOYT »

I think its about 5STG-10STG. I've never heard any more than that. I fly out of there not into it so I dont really know exactly what it is. I think it also depends on the gross weight of the aircraft but I'll find out and confirm it with you tonight. You wont regret visiting it and thats for sure. You want anymore info on it feel free to ask!!

Charlie Hotel Mike
Unverified User
Unverified User

thanks G-JOYT, It would be a C150/152.....so ur talking max weight 1600lbs...

cheers

GJOYT
Verified User
Verified User

Post by GJOYT »

Sure let me know when you are coming up because I could be there on that day. I do be up there at least once a week at the weekends. Its in the Pooleys flight guide.