Where do I start?!?

This is a forum where student pilots can post their questions for more experienced pilots and instructors to answer

Moderator: mark

gar787
Unverified User
Unverified User

Where do I start?!?

Post by gar787 » Sat Jan 14, 2006 10:45 pm

How's a goin,
i want some info on where to start in the giant world of aviation,I am fourteen and i am to sit my junior cert. in 2007 how, when I leave school, will I start? is there specific requirements for begining (I know Maths are important) can you give me a run down of the stages my goal is to become an airline pilot
Any Tips?
Anything?
Please..... :roll:
The man who flies an airplane...must believe in the unseen
Gary Brogan,
CEO - EirMagic VA

gar787
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by gar787 » Sat Jan 14, 2006 10:47 pm

just to clarify the "will I start" should read where will i start...
Gary Brogan,
CEO - EirMagic VA

JFH
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by JFH » Sun Jan 15, 2006 1:55 pm

q
Last edited by JFH on Tue Mar 19, 2013 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rallye EIBFP
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Rallye EIBFP » Sun Jan 15, 2006 6:55 pm

You should have told me you are only 14 Gary! So am I.....

If ATC floats your boat (or puts lift under your wings) then why not give ATC in Shannon a try. Theres nothing to lose, and if you get through you get paid when training. And you could request to be allocated airspace in Dublin.

Dutch Roll
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Dutch Roll » Mon Jan 16, 2006 9:58 am

JFH wrote:
2)Airline pilot. e.g Ryanair pilot. To get in the pilot seat of a ryanair plane you will need at least ,Ill say again, AT LEAST, ?60,000 to pay for your pilot training . The licence you need to be able fly a B737/A380 whatever, Is an ATPL(Airline transport pilots licence). I suggest you go to www.pprune.org and do a search on What is an ATPL and you will find all your answers there.
Hope this is of some help to you.

John

Sum more close to like +110K after type rating an extras.
115 VAC @400Hz

conor_mc
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by conor_mc » Tue Jan 17, 2006 2:53 pm

You mention Maths, but do Leaving Cert Physics also.... honours if possible - a good grounding in physics now will make so much of the theory easier to understand.

conor_mc
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by conor_mc » Tue Jan 17, 2006 4:17 pm

conor_mc wrote:You mention Maths, but do Leaving Cert Physics also.... honours if possible - a good grounding in physics now will make so much of the theory easier to understand.

While I think of it, Geography would help with Met as well.

Frosty
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Frosty » Tue Jan 17, 2006 10:02 pm

conor_mc wrote:
conor_mc wrote:You mention Maths, but do Leaving Cert Physics also.... honours if possible - a good grounding in physics now will make so much of the theory easier to understand.

While I think of it, Geography would help with Met as well.

Is LC geography that essential for met?? I'd imagine after about the first page of your met book you would have advanced way beyond school met..?

Get saving GAR787 :shock:
Regards,
Aidan

airoshane
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by airoshane » Tue Jan 17, 2006 10:57 pm

Leaving cert geography has nothing at all to do with met. Just do geography full stop. Its a very nice, interesting and easy subject.

Chaos
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Chaos » Wed Jan 18, 2006 2:06 pm

Gary,

It's fantastic to see a young lad like yourself with a clear ambition. You obviously got a very keen interest in aviation (which is half the battle won). Unfortunately, the journey to becoming a commercial airline pilot often takes a few years, plenty of money and a good deal of hard studies.

You will face some low points along the journey but stay focused on the big picture and you will hopefully realise your ambitions.

To cut costs, I would recommend you try to steer clear of doing your flying training at Irish or UK flying schools. They charge way too much and you are hampered by bad weather.

You should research the plentiful topic threads on Pprune about JAA flight training schools in the US / Canada. The currency exchange rates and the more cost effective hourly rates give you more 'bang for your buck'.

In addition you will be training in pleasant weather conditions which is important during your early days of student pilot training. Be sure to train a flight schools which train according to European standards, i.e. JAA as you can then return to Ireland or EU and use your qualifications.

You will have considerable additional costs, such as your return flights to your training camp, accommodation, study materials, food, etc. But on balance you are more importantly receiving training in a regular consistent manner which greatly increases your skills, as opposed to the stop start expensive hourly training rates of Irish / UK flight schools.

I suggest to discuss your career ambitions with your parents. Given the costs involved, you will need some help funding your pilot training. There are methods available to your parents to assist you in this regard.

Regarding costs, I guess you are typically looking at 'ball-park' E110k-ish to train from zero hours to 500/750 flying hours logged, taking you from basic student pilot licence (SPL) right through all the various exams and licence levels up to Airline Transport Pilot Licence (ATPL). Once you got your ATPL in your back pocket and you got minimum of 500/750 hrs total flying time logged, with a portion of your total hours logged being experience flying a multi-engine aircraft, i.e. a basic twin prop then you have a reasonably good chance of getting noticed with airlines like Ryanair.

If Ryanair are interested in you and you pass the interviews and medicals, they will ask you to take a simulator check ride which determines you level of flying experience. If you pass the sim ceck ride you are normally hired! Only gig catch these days are that Ryanair get the candidate to fund the sim check ride and if hired, you pay for your training to give you the B737 rating on your licence, hence the E110k-ish covers almost all your training.

Thats it in a very simplistic sense. There are risks, i.e. doomsday, you spend all that cash and dont get hired. Be patient, ypu will eventually get your first hiring. The salary ain't attractive at first but you are logging valuable jet hours and experience of working in a multi-crew environment. Its easier to get another job once you are in a job!

Finally, aside for all of the above its worth remembering the job places some strain on your life. I know you are only 14 years old but when you are much older with a wife and young children at home, it can result in you not being there for your family from time to time. You will need to have a very supporting wife to avoid your marriage failing.

Anyway, I recommend you discuss your ambitions with your parents, check out Pprune and do some searches for threads on the subject.

I hope your dreams come true . . . I wish you the very best of luck and remember . . . be patient, stay focused on the objective, and bag your exams on the first go.

Captain Chaos

Charlie Hotel Mike
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Charlie Hotel Mike » Wed Jan 18, 2006 4:55 pm

It think everyone has forgotten the most important thing, a class 1 medical, without this your decision is made easy. I dont know though if there's a minimum age for a class1? although i do know the waiting lists are fairly lengthy at the moment for class1's.

ei6265
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by ei6265 » Wed Jan 18, 2006 9:07 pm

Chaos,

Thanks for your thread. Im in the same position as Gary only a bit older, but that reply has given me some good advice, particularly about going to the US :)

Cheers,

D.

Chaos
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Chaos » Thu Jan 19, 2006 2:01 pm

Sorry guys, I forgot to mention there are 2 classes of medical examinations you can choose to receive your Student Pilots Licence (SPL):

Class 1 is an extensive medical examination and is mandatory for all Airline Pilots. So before you begin spending your hard earned cash on flying lessons with the hope of eventually ended up with the airlines. You should have a Class 1 Medical. The Mater Private Hospital conduct the medical. It takes about 3/4 hours or possibly longer if there are a few guys in the queue. Suggest you make contact with the IAA licencing section for the MAter Private contact details and latest costs.

The Class 2 medical is really for folks who want to fly for fun in a non-commercial career capacity.

If you are planning a career as a commercial pilot then there is no point in you taking the Class 2, you gotta take the Class 1. At least that way if you fail the Class 1 at least you learn about the issue NOW rather than a few years down the road after investing thousands in your training.

I'm not certain of the minimum age required for the Class 1 the IAA will advise. Again there are plenty of historic threads about the medicals, search either this forum or Pprune for threads on the subject.

Chaos

gar787
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by gar787 » Thu Jan 19, 2006 7:35 pm

Thanks a million!
That has really cleared up a few things and I am so pleased there is young fellas out there looking at the same situation.
I would just like some clarity on the following;
-3rd Level Education
Is it esential to go to college after secondary school (before pilot training) and if so what courses should be covered and for how long?
-RE:Medical
I wear glasses, I am slightly short sighted (i need to wear glasses to see longer distances such as the whiteboard in school) Could this be a problem?
-Financing
Is there government grants for pilot training-and if so can this include the option of going to the states

You've been great thanks so much!!!
Gary :D
Gary Brogan,
CEO - EirMagic VA

JFH
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by JFH » Thu Jan 19, 2006 11:33 pm

q
Last edited by JFH on Tue Mar 19, 2013 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.