Started my PPL course

This is a forum where student pilots can post their questions for more experienced pilots and instructors to answer

Moderator: mark

AndrewGibson
Unverified User
Unverified User

Started my PPL course

Post by AndrewGibson » Mon Nov 28, 2005 8:13 am

Hi just letting you know I have completed my first Hour to get started on my PPL course. The weather was little windy but grand. The only problem i had was on the way down i got really really warm and started to feel sick! Is there anyway of avoiding this except not wearing so much flippin clothes :)
:roll:

VNAV PTH
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by VNAV PTH » Mon Nov 28, 2005 8:39 am

Feeling sick isn't an unusual thing during your first few hours. It will pass. I also found that when flying I was fine, probably due to my mind concentrating on other things, but I would sometimes still feel a bit queasy if I was sitting in the back watching.
Screw you guys.....I`m going home.......

alphaLaura
Verified User
Verified User

Post by alphaLaura » Mon Nov 28, 2005 9:24 am

Yup some people feel a little sick the first few times - especially if you're used to airliners rather than your standard GA aircraft. A few hours time and you'll be accustomed to it defo :]
The hardest thing about flying is knowing when to say no.
I OWN THE SUN

AndrewGibson
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by AndrewGibson » Mon Nov 28, 2005 10:11 am

I was a bit annoyed after it. I had been looking forward to it for ages and it put the dampeners on it :(

I hope to be starting a ground school course in January :)

Cosmic
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Cosmic » Mon Nov 28, 2005 1:00 pm

Bob Hoover arguably one of the greatest pilots alive said of his first lessons:

"My first instructor was Louie Gasser. I don't think he ever expected me to be a good pilot since from day one I suffered from chronic motion sickness. Many of my early lessons were uncomfortable ones"

I too had a good bit of sickness in the first few flights, the nose, vibration, unusual G forces, smells the unusuall feeling of a headset clamping your head- its a pretty effective device for motion sickness!

Before you know it you will be 80 odd years old doing both Engines off loops and one wheel landings at airshows:

P.S Great Book "Forever flying" about Mr Hoover.
We who fly do so for the love of flying. We are alive in the air with this miracle that lies in our hands and beneath our feet.

— Cecil Day Lewis

aviateire
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by aviateire » Mon Nov 28, 2005 10:47 pm

I had a few similar experiences when I began training, it passes! I think part of the reason for the feeling of sickness was because flying in a light SEP aircraft was new. Some anxieties of the first flight can bring on a feeling of sickness like the different noises during the flight, the 'seat of pants' feeling, the realiability of the engine/aircraft (most look old and battered) etc. One of the worst times of motion sickness I experienced was from a stong wind which was blowing us sideways, this with the crossed signals I was getting from looking out the side window and the innards of my ears did make it difficult but as I became more involved in the flights it no longer affected as I was concentrating on keeping the plane up-there which I think helps.

"on the way down i got really really warm and started to feel sick!"

I did most of the PPL in Florida, something like 30-35 degrees every day which is fine if your on the beach but not in the cessna flying cross-country! Sweat would literally roll of ya! the trick there was to let some air through those A/C vents! What may help too is to bring a bottle of water up with you, don't see any reason not too! Anyways don't let it put ya off and goodluck with the licence! :)

hibby
Verified User
Verified User

Post by hibby » Thu Dec 01, 2005 4:43 pm

I felt a bit queasy in some of my early lessons. Part of it is down to nerves - on a bumpy day in the circuit, it can be a bit scary until you get used to it!

Even a little bump can feel like you're about to fall out of the sky - the unexpected lifting of a wing as you turn downwind can feel as if the plane is about to flip over or go out of your control. You are all the time fighting the controls and bracing yourself for whatever the plane is going to do next, and you can end up in a nervous sweat.

As you gain experience you take all those bumps in your stride, you anticipate the wing-lift, and you know you won't fall out of the sky or flip over.

About the cabin temperature, you should tell the instructor if you are uncomfortable and ask him to turn off the cabin heat and let in some air. I know some instructors who are not happy unless the cabin is like an oven!

MCRO
Unverified User
Unverified User

Sickness

Post by MCRO » Sat Dec 03, 2005 9:28 pm

As everyone is saying :worry not : sure to pass.

It will probably help if, at discomforting time you DONT look at your feet - as is instinctive thing but out the window - and if forward doesn't give you a steadying view look out the side

Maurice

StephenM
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by StephenM » Sun Dec 04, 2005 9:26 pm

The above looks a little bit like one of my landings at Sligo yesterday, only less extreme :P