Logging P1 hours

This is a forum where student pilots can post their questions for more experienced pilots and instructors to answer

Moderator: mark

FloppyStick
Unverified User
Unverified User

Logging P1 hours

Post by FloppyStick » Wed Nov 16, 2005 12:01 am

Ive been discussing with various people about getting an american licence and there seems to be a rather large 'gray area' with regard logging P1 time even though your sitting in the wrong seat, is this possible? Has anyone any ideas about this or can they point me in the direction of it cast in print somewhere? :?:

conor_mc
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by conor_mc » Wed Nov 16, 2005 12:47 pm

I think the issue you're referring to is that under FAA rules, if you're acting as safety pilot for someone flying under the hood (i.e. simulated IMC) both pilots can log the time as P1. Under JAR rules, this is not the case and only one pilot can log P1.

Schemes for multi-engine flying as offered by Ari-Ben Aviator, for example, work under the FAA system so that two pilots share the cost and both log 100 hours P1 for the equivalent cost of 50 hours each. Under JAR though, only one pilot can be P1 at a time, so assuming you take equal turns as PIC, you'll only log 50 JAR hours each.

FloppyStick
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by FloppyStick » Wed Nov 16, 2005 8:01 pm

Thanks for that conor_mc I was talking today with someone who said the same especially about multi-engine helicopters that are only certified single pilot, under JARs the co-pilot is not recognised