PPL in the US

This is a forum where student pilots can post their questions for more experienced pilots and instructors to answer

Moderator: mark

nosedive
Unverified User
Unverified User

PPL in the US

Post by nosedive » Mon Oct 24, 2005 1:48 pm

Thinking of going down this road - Ormand Beach. Anyine have any experiece to share??

Cosmic
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Cosmic » Mon Oct 24, 2005 2:25 pm

http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread ... did=135854

I've never heard a good word about the school, I must admit I was never a student there myself, but there is more then enough information in the above to make your mind up.
We who fly do so for the love of flying. We are alive in the air with this miracle that lies in our hands and beneath our feet.

— Cecil Day Lewis

nosedive
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by nosedive » Mon Oct 24, 2005 4:05 pm

Thanks for that Cosmic - in considering something like this any shred of inforamtion is useful and pprune link was a big help

AndyMax
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by AndyMax » Tue Oct 25, 2005 2:40 pm

would not recommend Ormond Beach just from what I have heard.

try these,

www.flyoft.com
www.flyeft.com

JFH
Unverified User
Unverified User

p

Post by JFH » Fri Oct 28, 2005 1:35 pm

q
Last edited by JFH on Tue Mar 19, 2013 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nosedive
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by nosedive » Fri Oct 28, 2005 1:41 pm

Yeah, been wondering about the theory exams myself but as far as I understand it, you're required to undertake ALL of your training in the one state (at least to satisfy the IAA not sure about other authorities) and the medical may be the exception

roofrack
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by roofrack » Mon Oct 31, 2005 9:31 am

Unless things have changed in the last couple of years you'll need to complete all requirements for your PPL under the one State, exams and flight training included - this will probably be the UK if you're going to go to US. You can probably sit the UK exams in the US in a lot of the schools, if you study before you get there you'll do them okay. EFT at Fort Pierce had good instructors when I was there but i'd advise you to give yourself more time than the FastTrack programme because with likely weather problems at some stage you'll be putting yourself under more pressure to complete everything first time before a once only go at your skill test. Good luck
http://www.flyeft.com/

JFH
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by JFH » Thu Nov 03, 2005 3:10 pm

q
Last edited by JFH on Tue Mar 19, 2013 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JFH
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by JFH » Sat Nov 12, 2005 1:02 pm

q
Last edited by JFH on Tue Mar 19, 2013 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cosmic
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Cosmic » Sat Nov 12, 2005 3:33 pm

The amount it costs should certainly NOT be the sole concern. You want to find the best training available, and the cheapest and try and find the best blend of the two.

You will need to do all the PPL exams again if you have done the Irish ones. Its another example of where the JAA and the one big happy family theory is shown to be a complete scam. Don't let it put you off though, you can do them at the school, you can take them one after another if you want.
We who fly do so for the love of flying. We are alive in the air with this miracle that lies in our hands and beneath our feet.

— Cecil Day Lewis

VNAV PTH
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by VNAV PTH » Sun Nov 13, 2005 4:33 pm

I did my CAA (UK) PPL in OBA when I first started flying. I have no complaints about how it worked out. The training maybe isn't going to be as in depth or as suited to JAA procedures as it would be here, but it's nothing that a few hours at your local flying club won't sort out on your return. If you are familiar with Irish airspace procedures already, then it's nothing to worry about.
Screw you guys.....I`m going home.......

JFH
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by JFH » Tue Nov 15, 2005 10:05 pm

q
Last edited by JFH on Tue Mar 19, 2013 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AndyMax
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by AndyMax » Thu Nov 17, 2005 1:34 pm

JFH add another 2000EURO to that. I planned on spending the same as you but things never work out that way. I had to stay an extra 2 weeks because of bad weather to finish the course or else go home with nothing.

car rental, accommodation, food, all for an extra 2 weeks. Plus I had to rebooked and pay for flights home.

Also, if you go over the 25hr minimum dual instruction (which most people do) the hourly fee for instruction goes up. This makes a hugh difference to the final course fee.

Dont make the mistake of limiting yourself to 6K, it wont happen.

Eidw 747
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Eidw 747 » Fri Nov 25, 2005 9:07 pm

AndyMax wrote:JFH add another 2000EURO to that. I planned on spending the same as you but things never work out that way. I had to stay an extra 2 weeks because of bad weather to finish the course or else go home with nothing.

car rental, accommodation, food, all for an extra 2 weeks. Plus I had to rebooked and pay for flights home.

Also, if you go over the 25hr minimum dual instruction (which most people do) the hourly fee for instruction goes up. This makes a hugh difference to the final course fee.

Dont make the mistake of limiting yourself to 6K, it wont happen.

Good advice. I back up this statement. Dont leave yourself in a position where you come up with no licence and 6k out of pocket!!

flyboy666
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by flyboy666 » Sat Dec 10, 2005 3:51 pm

I returned from Ormand Beach last Sunday where I completed my PPL in three weeks. The quality of the instruction is fine but watch out for the accommodation. You will be sharing a room with up to three others and the houses are a 25 minute walk from the airfield. There are no pavements and some of the American drivers seem to think it is funny to see how close they can drive to you as you walk along. There is NO restaurant at the school although the nearby golf club does lunches. The house is a 15 dollar taxi ride !!! from the nearest shops and restaurants so it was a case of getting a group together to go to Wallmart once a week to get frozen meals to put in the microwave each evening.