Medical and past history

This is a forum where student pilots can post their questions for more experienced pilots and instructors to answer

Moderator: mark

oxegen
Unverified User
Unverified User

Medical and past history

Post by oxegen » Fri Oct 14, 2005 1:31 pm

in the medicals , are there blood tests carried out and what do they look for??what can they trace? can they track if you drink alot or if you took some illegal substances in the past such as lsd or cannibis or cocaine. or do they finf this out through other ways.

Dutch Roll
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Dutch Roll » Fri Oct 14, 2005 5:32 pm

ask them when you go,drug testing is done a different way,i remem doing a project on drugs,cocaine disappears out of you system after 3 days,hash after about 7 weeks or a few days if you keep drinking cranberry juice,lsd wont leave your system,a trace remains in your spine,so if your an aspiring pilot and your drink is spiked with it im afraid your screwed because flashbacks etc can occur!!!
115 VAC @400Hz

Swiss Tony
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by Swiss Tony » Fri Oct 14, 2005 10:03 pm

Sounds like oxegen was a bold boy!, blood tests are done to test your red blood count to make sure your blood can carry enough oxygen at altitude not sure if they test for drugs which might also show up in the urine test.

ceatach
Verified User
Verified User

Post by ceatach » Sat Oct 15, 2005 11:33 am

Its the likes of lsd, trips etc that stay in your spine. And they do check for a class one medical... Dont think they can tell from the class 2 tests. Although if you did take some weird hallucinogens in a past life then what would you do if you had a flashback while flying. Flasbacks tend to occur at times of stress, and flying isnt always the easiest thing in the world. I think if its been years since the hallucinogen was taken, the risk of flashback gets very low as does the intensity of flasback.

highflyer1000
Verified User
Verified User

Medical

Post by highflyer1000 » Sat Oct 15, 2005 9:47 pm

Did my Class 2 medical on Wednesday. The blood tests only need to be done on an inital medical. If it is a renewal it is up to you if they are done, better to do it for peace of mind. All they check for is cholesterol and iron (red cells i assume) and if you are over 40 they check for indications of prostrate problems.
A good landing is one you can walk away from, a great landing is one where you can use the aircraft again.

ei6265
Unverified User
Unverified User

Post by ei6265 » Sat Oct 15, 2005 11:42 pm

In regards to LSD, I was told a story of two pilots who all of a sudden became unresponsive in the cockpit and the plane drifted off course a bit. After alot of confusion, the pilots eventually landed safetly and were immediately sent for a drugs test. The results found traces of LSD, and the two pilots had both had a trip at the same time (influenced by the pressure or something). They both admitted to taking the drug once in their teens.

Needless to say, they lost their jobs :( So if you want to be a pilot, I wouldn't go near the stuff.